I think I'm ready for a busa, but wanted to ask u?

captmarc

Registered
Hows it everyone who knows a hell of a lot more than me about motorcycles? Thanks in advance for your input.

I currently own a 92 Katana, and for the most part love it. I have had it for a year, my first bike, and have put about 5000 miles on it. My girl loves it too, which makes it even more fun.

I am a big guy, 6 ft, 260, 30 yrs old, and I would consider myself a pretty conservative and safe friendly rider. I don't push it too hard, but do enjoy a fast straight up to about 130 mph. Getting there quick is the best.

So, should I sell my katana and get a busa, knowing that I don't know everything but taking it slow and learning on a busa, or stay on my katana another year.

I like the size of the busa, I have sat on one and it fits me perfect. I have no intention of going over 150, probably ever. I don't drag a knee, but want to learn how to corner better. On a scale of 1-10, I am a 5 on the corners, but that may be because safety is my first issue.

My question to you guys is, how is the busa 2 up? she is light by the way, 100 pounds.

Also, how friendly is the busa in the corners? I know it kicks ass in the straights, which is what I love about bikes.

Your input and knowledge is really appreciated, in advance. I feel like if I don't act stupid on the busa it could be the perfect bike for me. On the other hand, it may be more than I am qualified for right now.

Thanks so much,
And I wish everyone the best.

I

Hrrrmmm...

I sold my katana and gixxer to get a Busa. I'm 31 myself and used to consider myself a "conservative" rider, well...pretty conservative anyway...:p

As for two-up, my wife hates it. She says she feels like she is constantly sliding into me, which she is, but that is probably because the torque is just incredible, even riding two-up and I am constantly grabbing brake going into corners and she slides up...buuuut...anyway...

As for cornering, riding "conservatively" I really notice no difference, flying into a corner at, geez, seriously, probably at say 120, I hang off the side with my knee out and seriously have to pull the bike over and force it through. It gives me hell trying to follow another guy's lines who is on, say, a 6r or CBR rr...but when I am out just riding...not racing, it handles perfectly. On that same note...MAKE SURE YOUR TIRES ARE NICE AND HOT BEFORE YOU CORNER AGGRESSIVELY. I made that mistake. There is sooooo much torque coming off the rear wheel; awhile back here, I flicked it over into a corner about four blocks after leaving my house and the rear end stepped right the heck out on me...any other day I would have crashed hard...be careful with that...

To put it another way, my good friend who has ridden dirt bikes, cruisers, litre bikes and so forth, said my Busa felt like he was riding a cadillac. He it was so smooth, like riding on air, and it just felt awesome, because with ALL THAT COMFORT, came the knowledge that when he twisted his wrist just a fraction of an inch he would, I forget exactly how Brad said it, but something to the effect of, "Rocket to the moon..."

The power is really unbelievable, compared to a stock gixxer and/or katana, and I had a 750 Katana...there really is no comparison. You won't be riding "conversatively" for too long after getting to know your Bus.
smile.gif
If you riding experience, you should be absolutely just fine. There is always the debate about a Bus for a first bike, for guys who have never, ever ridden anything...and you have riding experience, even if somewhat limited. This is your second season right? Or did you get the Katana this year and are looking to "upgrade for next year?"

Jason

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126073662 -->

welcome to the board. the busa is great for 2 up its a heavy bike so takes a little more finese. being the big guy your are the busa is gona feel like a caddy compared to your katana. your the only one who can judge when your ready but buy it and enjoy you wont regreat it
biggrin.gif

Thank you fellas, appreciate it.

It is my first season, but I lived in Florida, so I rode since last august all year. Since it is september, I guess it is now my second season. My fear is that I hear if you hit the gas too hard in a bus, you can fall right off the back of a wheelie you had no intention of attempting. I cannot lift the front end of my kat no matter how hard I try. ( I haven't tried that hard!!") The bus scares me in the sweetest way. I just don't want to get hurt or killed on a bike. At the same time, I like the idea of getting to 100+ in a hurry, of course in a controlled way. I heard that if you twist 1/16 of an inch too hard, your ass is on the street first, with the rest of your body soon to follow. I am not interested in that!!! But again, I don't ride like an #######.

I have heard also that a corbin seat can make all the difference. Anyway, thanks and any more input is greatly appreciated before I drop 10 grand!!!

You'll love the Busa. If you're wife's only 100 pounds, you'll likely never even know she's there. The Busa pulls me and my wiff along like a dream and we love it. She does slide into me if I pound that brake REALLY hard but I'm a big guy and it doesn't bother me if she slides in on me.

Watch that throttle. You don't EVER want to just snap it on!

--Wag--

Thank you fellas, appreciate it.

It is my first season, but I lived in Florida, so I rode since last august all year.  Since it is september, I guess it is now my second season.  My fear is that I hear if you hit the gas too hard in a bus, you can fall right off the back of a wheelie you had no intention of attempting.  I cannot lift the front end of my kat no matter how hard I try.  ( I haven't tried that hard!!")  The bus scares me in the sweetest way.  I just don't want to get hurt or killed on a bike.  At the same time, I like the idea of getting to 100+ in a hurry, of course in a controlled way.  I heard that if you twist 1/16 of an inch too hard, your ass is on the street first, with the rest of your body soon to follow.  I am not interested in that!!!  But again, I don't ride like an #######.

I have heard also that a corbin seat can make all the difference.  Anyway, thanks and any more input is greatly appreciated before I drop 10 grand!!!
Oh, yeah. One of the guys off the board here sent me a gel seat when he got, I think it was a Corbin. The gel seat he sent is the Suzuki seat, but, OMG! is it ever comfortable. It really IS like riding on air.

As for the unintentional wheelie...until recently, I never had the front end pop up on me unexpectadly. I can tell you, when I first got my Bus, I took her out for some nice, easy spins, just get to know her and get used to her quirks and so forth. Then, I took her out on some nice easy spins and got to know her throttle a little better. Yes, when you crank on the throttle, hold on! Hold on! Hold on! Because if you don't hold on, yeah, I have no doubts that the force of the torque could buck you off. In essence, to do a wheelie on the stock Bus, you need to be cruising in first gear at about 3-4,000 revs, let off the throttle so the forks compress, then snap the throttle open a little...and your front end will feather up...or jump the heck up if you snap it open too much. When you are cruising down the freeway in way, fourth gear, the Bus will buck on you and the SNAP forward...it's really very awesome. I really don't think you will be having a problem with unintentional wheelies. Until I really started getting into racing and going out riding with a friend of mine here, I never had it happen. Now when I'm dumping the clutch and snapping into second and third gears I've felt the front end pop up a bit...but that's really it. If you ride forward in a tuck with your weight over tank, even if your snapping the throttle, dumping the clutch, I don't think you'll "wheelie" unintentionally and you certainly won't loop out. But...that's just what my experience has been...

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126153073 -->

get the busa you will be fine....its a great bike in the straights....and it can hold its own in the corners....very comfortable..nothing to fear except fear itself.

thank you everyone, your advice is greatly appreciated!! As long as I have your ear, a couple more questions.

What would you tell your best friend about 2 up riding, especially since the passenger is someone you just couldn't allow to get hurt! What kind of advice do you give your passenger about riding? Do you have any rules you tell them before riding? How do you instruct them to handle curves and corners? Especially considering a hayabusa? This is so important, again thank you in advance!!

laugh.gif

silly, thanks for all your thoughts everyone, much appreciated. Anyone know any good track education up here in ny?

the busa has control and finesse, i am not afraid to launch it off the line, or roll on at any speed, but i would be on a gixxer thou, or zx-10. its all about controllable power. ive had my busa 3 years , put 50,000kms (31,000 mi.)...i'm from canada ok! . i'm just now going to add a full exhaust, do some head work etc. so i can get some more horsepower. i wouldnt think about it with a litre bike.

just a few words...get it, if your worried about getting left standing there with the bike going down the street without you, don't, won't happen, 2 reasons... you are aware of the power(thus will be more careful with the throttle)and the hump will keep your @ss on there until you remove it which will be after your feeling more confident.
Handle her with kid gloves for the first 100 or so miles and you'll be sportin,wheelies like the pros.
Remember the throttle works both ways.
Oh and don't wear sticky gloves that can be scary. good luck and you will enjoy it.
one more thing, youll be leaning a little more forward so the little lady'll be right on your back(unless she wraps her legs around you)she'll follow you thru the turns.

Hows it everyone who knows a hell of a lot more than me about motorcycles? Thanks in advance for your input.

I currently own a 92 Katana, and for the most part love it. I have had it for a year, my first bike, and have put about 5000 miles on it. My girl loves it too, which makes it even more fun.

I am a big guy, 6 ft, 260, 30 yrs old, and I would consider myself a pretty conservative and safe friendly rider. I don't push it too hard, but do enjoy a fast straight up to about 130 mph. Getting there quick is the best.

So, should I sell my katana and get a busa, knowing that I don't know everything but taking it slow and learning on a busa, or stay on my katana another year.

I like the size of the busa, I have sat on one and it fits me perfect. I have no intention of going over 150, probably ever. I don't drag a knee, but want to learn how to corner better. On a scale of 1-10, I am a 5 on the corners, but that may be because safety is my first issue.

My question to you guys is, how is the busa 2 up? she is light by the way, 100 pounds.

Also, how friendly is the busa in the corners? I know it kicks ass in the straights, which is what I love about bikes.

Your input and knowledge is really appreciated, in advance. I feel like if I don't act stupid on the busa it could be the perfect bike for me. On the other hand, it may be more than I am qualified for right now.

Thanks so much,
And I wish everyone the best.

I
If you have 5000 miles under your belt with a Katna, your more than ready to buy a busa
biggrin.gif
...Just be gentle with the throtle until you get used to the torque and accelration of the busa.

If it fits you, and you want one... go get one mate.

...and welcome to the board!!

Buy it!

You will be surprised at how doscile it is, very easy to ride, also very easy to get in over your head.

If everything you say is true, you'll be fine.

First off............
<marquee> W E L C O M E </marquee>

Secondly, go get it.  You'll love it, it's comfy and powerful.  Just watch the right wrist until you get to know her.  
cool.gif

as for advice for the pillon on the bus.... just tell'm to relax and enjoy the ride...
wink.gif
 I took a friend of mine for a ride and she was everything but relaxed,  
poke.gif
needless to say she wont be riding with me any time soon..

<!--EDIT|04busaVA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126090039 -->

It is my first season, but I lived in Florida, so I rode since last august all year.  Since it is september, I guess it is now my second season.  
5000 miles in one season, you are more than ready for a Busa.

My fear is that I hear if you hit the gas too hard in a bus, you can fall right off the back of a wheelie you had no intention of attempting. I cannot lift the front end of my kat no matter how hard I try.  ( I haven't tried that hard!!")
The Busa is a big heavy bike.  I've only had the front wheel of mine come up on me once in 7000 miles.  Even then, it only came up about a foot.  Since I practice just in case such a situation arises
smile.gif
it was no big deal to set it down without any issues.  BTW, the Kat will do it too.

The bus scares me in the sweetest way.  I just don't want to get hurt or killed on a bike.  
You don't need to fear the Busa.  It is a well behaved machine.  You do need to RESPECT the Busa.  It can be a Beast that bites hard if you don't.

At the same time, I like the idea of getting to 100+ in a hurry, of course in a controlled way.  I heard that if you twist 1/16 of an inch too hard, your ass is on the street first, with the rest of your body soon to follow.  I am not interested in that!!!  But again, I don't ride like an #######.
100 is less than 6 seconds away
biggrin.gif
 I think I've covered these points above.  The key is being smooth and fluid with you motions.  The Busa is very predictable.  Take it easy until you get used to it.  (BTW, there is not a false neutral between 5 and 6, get used to how it wants to be shifted and it will go away.)  And I probably ride like an #######.

I have heard also that a corbin seat can make all the difference.  Anyway, thanks and any more input is greatly appreciated before I drop 10 grand!!!
I don't know about the Corbin seat.  I've ridden 350-400 miles in a day on the stock seat.  Starts getting a bit uncomfortable for me at 250-275 miles.

thank you everyone, your advice is greatly appreciated!!  As long as I have your ear, a couple more questions.

What would you tell your best friend about 2 up riding, especially since the passenger is someone you just couldn't allow to get hurt!  What kind of advice do you give your passenger about riding?  Do you have any rules you tell them before riding?  How do you instruct them to handle curves and corners?  Especially considering a hayabusa?  This is so important, again thank you in advance!!
Riding 2 up on the Busa is no different than riding 2 up on the Katana, except the Busa won't notice the extra weight. Make sure they keep their feet on the pegs at all times and sit still. I've ridden with my 200# nephew on back without any problems. I cannot ride my buddy's 90# 9 yr old because he won't sit still. Kind of increases the pucker factor when he decides he wants a better look at something to the left in the middle of a right hander
wow.gif

Welcome to the board
beerchug.gif

You'll be fine on the Busa. Just take your time and get used to the bike before you start riding it aggressively. You said you like the quick runs up to about 130...That takes care of the gears up about 3rd...What are you going to do with the other 3 gears?
laugh.gif

You won't regret getting the Busa.
wink.gif

Once you're compfortable on the Busa, you can tune the suspension for better handling. It WILL corner, but does take a bit more effort than a 600cc sportbike. If you have any doubts about cornering...see the picture below...

ps_dsc_442693.jpg

Here's what the rear tire looked like after that day at the track...Stock Battlax BT-56's
cool.gif

Road_America_5_30_05_017sm.jpg

Back