Busa for sale nearby, I'm thinking about buying...

SDGuero

Registered
Hi Busa fans,

I'm looking at an '02 Busa this week and I'm thinking it might be the bike for me if it looks good. I was wondering if you have any tips or things to look out for on this particular motorcycle when i go look at it. Here is the ad:

2002 Suzuki Hayabusa $4500

I'm 6'1", 230 lbs. I currently ride a Katana 750 (some people call it the baby busa), 80/20% commuting/weekend riding, and I really enjoy my current bike. I have heard great things about the Busa and people on katriders.com have compared the Busa favorably to the katana.

Thanks for the help. If this works out, I hope to be an active member on your boards! :)

-SDGuero

Honestly, make an offer of $3800. That's my favorite factory paint but I'd still start at $3800 and see where I could get him too

I wouldn't try to haggle too much. That's a fair price for it if all is in working order. But if you can save a $ then go for it. I bought my same color '02 in 2005 for $6500. They hold their value pretty well and it has low mileage. But do your research on it before you buy it. It's easy to buy a new dash with lower miles. Good luck with it.

Who compares a katana to a busa...??? Around my way we call those things "Canatuna's" cause they are big heavy and slow and kinda roll down the highway like a can of tuna :laugh:

A katana is a starter bike.... no power and no real speed
A busa has the capacity for a lot of power and a lot of speed

I know you are probably riding that bike to its limits but I surely hope that you don't expect a busa to be as timid or mellow as a Katana.....:whistle:

Nice, I hope you get it, but as #1busa stated before, the busa has lots more power, take it easy till you get use to it, good luck and :welcome: aboard!

Welcome to the oRg, I was a member of Katriders back in the day, had a 600 and a 750.

Thanks fellas.

I was planning on haggling and getting a some perspective on where to start is great. I like the paint too. :)

Since it has a new chain, tires, and oil; any tips/suggestions on places to look for signs of high mileage?

Thanks,
SDGuero

-Ryan

Looks like a beautiful bike and good price for mileage, upgrades, and condition. Hope you scored it.

Look at brakes, exhaust headers, air filter, spark plugs, coolant lines, oil lines, oil cooler and radiator, fork seals, rear shock, battery, engine covers, and the hump on top of the swingarm. Granted, this is if he lets you tinker with it at all. The hump will show you if its been abused due to rubber and road crap on it or if not, lack there of. Check for missing hardware as well

Some of the GenI bikes have a problem with 2nd gear. The only way to tell is to ride the bike and ride it high in the rpms in 2nd gear, if it feels like it wants to pop out of gear then its got a problem. If I remember correctly people were saying its costs about a grand to fix it and have 2nd gear undercut. Not a lot of them have the problem but it is something I would check before buying the bike. Also, I would do some research on that chain to make sure it has the tensile strength of a stock chain. Far too many people put cheap chains on a busa (because a good chain is a couple hundred bucks) and you end up with a chain that stretches and snaps on you. A broken chain on a busa can mean death for you. It may be a perfectly good chain but I would check it...just because its new doesn't mean anything.

Also,..... welcome to the org!

same exact bike that turned my head to the busa chillin' at the ozfest in 02'. great looking paint scheme and welcome aboard!

If you ride a Katana now, before you buy a Busa.....call and get an insurance quote! ;)

You can find good cheap rates but that scares away a lot of people depending on your age, credit, history, etc....

Welcome to the oRg!! Hopefully you'll find it to be a great deal and you'll be posting pics of your new baby soon :thumbsup:

Back