I POD Help

Pardini

Donating Member
Registered
I gave the kid a new I Pod touch for X Mas. Then I exercised my parental priviledge and comandeered his Nano for my use.

He has 700 + songs on the Nano which I want to keep and also transfer to his Touch. He has managed to get the songs he has paid for at I tunes transfered to his Touch.

Question is how to get the songs downloaded from CD's copied from the Nano to the Touch so we both have the same library?

My thought is to go to file in I Tunes and export the library to my music on the computer and then import it to his Touch. If I do that is the library copied to the computer or is it moved leaving nothing on the Nano?

I'm sure it's easy but I lack the skillz. Help me. :please:

2 questions:

1 - does he have the 700 songs in his itunes library?

2 - do you share the same computer?

Well if the nano is already set up in iTunes all you need to do is when the itouch is connected in iTunes is pick the same songs/libraries for it. For example, we have 2 itouches and 1 iphone ( me and 2 kids) We have the main music library that has all the songs in it, of course everyone doesn't like the same music so I created 3 separate play lists. Even the songs you have just copied off of CD's should still be imported into itunes. If you didn't have the nano in itunes till now, I do believe your original Idea will work. When you import songs it doesn't erase them from the source. Hope that wasn't confusing...

You didn't state mac or windows.

in windows, use the file and settings transfer wizard to copy to cd, dvd then to the other computer

For his new ipod he can just connect to his computer and transfer his songs as he does normally; you can have any number of ipods/iphones/nanos etc. using that library.

now -

if you want to tranfer his 700 songs to your computer and use your ipod with your computer and his music, you have two options. One is free.

Easy solution - just copy his music library onto a hard drive (or over the network) onto your computer. Go to itunes, select "Add To Library" and select the folder that you copied over. His stuff imports into your itunes library on your computer, and now you can move whatever you want onto your ipod.

If you have a Mac, there are programs (like PodWorks) that will allow you to copy music off of the ipod directly onto your hard drive, but it costs a bit of $. There's prob. something similar for Windows too.

As for purchased (DRM-protected) music, you'll only be able to use that on your computer if you use his authorization (name/password for itunes store). There's ways around that too.

Last edited:
As for purchased (DRM-protected) music, you'll only be able to use that on your computer if you use his authorization (name/password for itunes store). There's ways around that too.

On windows, that would be the file transfer wizard. :laugh:
It's under files, programs, system, accessories or something similar

Last edited by a moderator:
For his new ipod he can just connect to his computer and transfer his songs as he does normally; you can have any number of ipods/iphones/nanos etc. using that library.

Says he tried that but it only transfered the songs he has purchased thru I Tunes. The ones he has in I Tunes copied off our CD collection didn't transfer over.

I have I tunes on my computer, but little music in it. Running Windows not Mac's. He wants my help , but I don't have an I Pod 'cept his old one. I don't really want the music on my computer unless it's necessary. Maybe he just isn't doing it right. Is it the same process for both CD's and I tunes purchased music?

Says he tried that but it only transfered the songs he has purchased thru I Tunes. The ones he has in I Tunes copied off our CD collection didn't transfer over.

I have I tunes on my computer, but little music in it. Running Windows not Mac's. He wants my help , but I don't have an I Pod 'cept his old one. I don't really want the music on my computer unless it's necessary. Maybe he just isn't doing it right. Is it the same process for both CD's and I tunes purchased music?

the simplest way to do it is.....

the Windows File Wizard!!! :cheerleader:

But what do I know? :dunno:

Have fun! :laugh:

heh, thats why I stick with mp3s ... all the DRM stuff is a major PITA if you ask me. Can you load mp3s on an ipod ???

Jr. says that he was prompted to drag and drop the library from I Tunes into the I Touch, but something about the icon for the touch isn't there. :confused:

He's getting tense and tired of all my probing questions. Will my export / import idea above work?

Last edited:
you can as long as they're yours ($$) I have the good old mp3 still that works.

mine? well they are on my hard drive, guess that makes them mine huh :whistle: ;)

but seriously I have been toying ... a lot... with getting a ipod, something in the 160gig range since I can fill that up in about 10mins :laugh: but since all my stuff is mp3, well I dont wanna convert stuff or any of this I cant make it work from pc1 vs pc3 stuff

got it.

his computer has the 700 or so songs on it in his itunes library right?

you should be able to do the following:

1- plug the ipod touch into the computer.

2- the ipod should show up under devices on the left side of the itunes window.

3 - click on the device name. along the top of the main itunes window on the right, you'll have tabs like "Summary", "Info" etc.

4 - click on the "Music" tab.

5 - Select "Sync Music" and "All songs and playlists"

6 - You should get a dialog warning you that it is going to erase whatever is on the ipod touch and replace it with whatever is in your itunes library. DONT DO THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE ALL THE MUSIC IN THE ITUNES LIBRARY (the one that resides on the computer) ALREADY. If so, go for it. This will copy all of the music from the itunes library (DRM and CD) to the ipod touch.

mine? well they are on my hard drive, guess that makes them mine huh :whistle: ;)

but seriously I have been toying ... a lot... with getting a ipod, something in the 160gig range since I can fill that up in about 10mins :laugh: but since all my stuff is mp3, well I dont wanna convert stuff or any of this I cant make it work from pc1 vs pc3 stuff

mp3s work perfectly on an ipod.

avoid DRM-ed music of any kind. I love apple's stuff, but the file protection on most of their stuff sucks. I usually buy all my music from amazon's mp3 store since it has no protection on it whatsoever.

Back