I need some help with my HID High Beams

I did, and appearing "out of focus" is likely because it's not aimed exactly where it should be.
That's why I said that the low beam would suffer once the hi beam was correct.
It doesn't take much.
Have you only adjusted the light at home?
I had a problem with my hi beam as you describe. It was not until I went riding, stopped, adjusted, rode more, stopped, adjusted, repeatedly until the hi beam was exactly right. With it off just the slightest amount it was no good. I could not get it correct by adjusting it in the driveway and aiming it against a wall either.
If the low beam was perfect the hi beam was in the tree tops, literally.
When the hi beam was perfect the low beam was still at a good angle, only the beam itself was scattered by the reflection of the housing. It had a Christmas tree pattern on the road.
LankeeYankee's solution above is the best fix.

I don't think you understand my issue, you are still taking about AIM, rather than FOCUS. They are not the same.

Actually, there is a significant difference between AIM (which I have no problem with) and FOCUS which is where my (and I believe Skydivr's) issues lie. As twotonevert alluded to above, consider a mag-lite flashlight. If you point it up in the sky (BAD AIM), it will not light the path ahead. If you point/aim it at the path in front of you, but have it improperly focused (by twisting the head of the flashlight) so that the light is dispersed at a very broad angle, it will throw some light ahead but not very far. If you FOCUS it properly, you can direct light quite a distance down the path.

So you may ask how I know that my light is AIMed properly but not FOCUSed properly. Here is the process I used. Please understand that I have a GEN1 and can AIM my low and high beams independently.

As you suggest will not work for AIM, I parked my bike on level ground facing a wall & had someone sit on it and steady it upright. I had them turn the key to the Run position. This turned on the Headlight. At this time, the High Beam was off. I measured the height of the headlight from the ground and made a corresponding measurement on the wall and marked it with tape then adjusted the low beam to my desired location, vertically and horizontally. I then switched on the High Beam and covered the low beam with a towel. The High Beam sent light everywhere. I just assumed that was how it was supposed to work -- not at all the way that the High Beam in my factory Headlight worked. It was very focused and threw a long distance. As I could not find a way to focus the High Beam, I was very disappointed and just assumed this was just the way the HID High Beam works.

With Skydivr's post, and some of the replies that I have seen, I now have some things to check to see if I can resolve the issue. I should be able to get the focal point right and have a beam similar to what I used to have (only a lot brighter). My question is and was "Is there a way to adjust the FOCUS (not AIM) of the High Beam. I believe from what I've read so far that the answer to that question is "No". Now I'll work with that and see if there is a way that I can adjust the focus to get what I'm looking for.

--Sky

I don't think you understand my issue, you are still taking about AIM, rather than FOCUS. They are not the same.

Actually, there is a significant difference between AIM (which I have no problem with) and FOCUS which is where my (and I believe Skydivr's) issues lie. As twotonevert alluded to above, consider a mag-lite flashlight. If you point it up in the sky (BAD AIM), it will not light the path ahead. If you point/aim it at the path in front of you, but have it improperly focused (by twisting the head of the flashlight) so that the light is dispersed at a very broad angle, it will throw some light ahead but not very far. If you FOCUS it properly, you can direct light quite a distance down the path.

So you may ask how I know that my light is AIMed properly but not FOCUSed properly. Here is the process I used. Please understand that I have a GEN1 and can AIM my low and high beams independently.

As you suggest will not work for AIM, I parked my bike on level ground facing a wall & had someone sit on it and steady it upright. I had them turn the key to the Run position. This turned on the Headlight. At this time, the High Beam was off. I measured the height of the headlight from the ground and made a corresponding measurement on the wall and marked it with tape then adjusted the low beam to my desired location, vertically and horizontally. I then switched on the High Beam and covered the low beam with a towel. The High Beam sent light everywhere. I just assumed that was how it was supposed to work -- not at all the way that the High Beam in my factory Headlight worked. It was very focused and threw a long distance. As I could not find a way to focus the High Beam, I was very disappointed and just assumed this was just the way the HID High Beam works.

With Skydivr's post, and some of the replies that I have seen, I now have some things to check to see if I can resolve the issue. I should be able to get the focal point right and have a beam similar to what I used to have (only a lot brighter). My question is and was "Is there a way to adjust the FOCUS (not AIM) of the High Beam. I believe from what I've read so far that the answer to that question is "No". Now I'll work with that and see if there is a way that I can adjust the focus to get what I'm looking for.

--Sky

My misunderstanding.
The problem is then what I said in my first post, it's the chrome headlight itself.
That is what's reflecting and scattering the beam.
Painting it flat black(after removing chrome)will greatly improve it.
Installing a projector itself will be even better:beerchug:

My misunderstanding.
The problem is then what I said in my first post, it's the chrome headlight itself.
That is what's reflecting and scattering the beam.
Painting it flat black(after removing chrome)will greatly improve it.
Installing a projector itself will be even better:beerchug:

I did not measure the OEM bulb in relation to the HID bulb, but it would seem to make sense, that to get focus, the light would have to be in just about the same place in relation to the chrome reflector. Just thinking outloud.

You will never get a crisp beam with a headlight assembly not designed for HID's period!
The oem GENII headlight was designed for a halogen. Major difference between HID and Halogens.
There is a reason when factories equip vehichles with HID's they use a projector beam to prevent a sloppy scatter throwing light every where including on coming traffic.
Yeah ya can fiddle fart around with HID in a non projector headlight assembly but you will never get the sharp beam pattern as a projector designed for an HID bulb.

I am running
A 55watt 5K HID in my low beam which is controlled by a Motomimi H1 projector which is controlled with a 12vdc shutter for the high beam also, when on low beam it has a sharp cut off to prevent blinding oncoming cars,
A 35Watt 5K HID in my high beam which is controlled through a 2006 modified Nissan Maxima projector with the curtain removed to give full output.

I ran an HID for one year through my oem assembly until reading many article on retro fitting projectors. I thought I had good light pattern yeah it was bright EVERY WHERE trees houses and worst on coming traffic.. Not smart to blind a 6000 lb SUV coming at you 60 mph on a narrow 2 lane road with a soccer mom driving her bratty kids home from practice.

:beerchug:

many good articles out there on why its illegal and mostly dangerous to install HID's in a reflective haolgen headlight assembly.

Google search keywords... HID in reflective headlight assemly..

He was giving you a hard time because you were blinding him with your illegally modified lamps. There may be ways to somewhat reduce the glare, but drop-in HID’s are illegal because they are dangerous to other drivers on the road, because it is impossible to control glare by dropping an HID bulb into a Halogen housing; they use entirely different light source designs.

I guess I miss understood it as well. Never got the Focus part. I had the Gen 11 (2008) and could not aim them separate. When mine was on high I had such a wide and light shinning in the tree tops it was unreal. I tried to change mine with little success. It was going to be the next thing on my to do list. I never knew of any that the focus part could be adjusted. Seems to me it would have to do with the distance to the aim point to get the correct focus. Maybe :laugh: :banghead:

Back