I Need help and advice on HTC phones

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
My dad is looking at getting a new phone here in Cyprus.
Same as the Iphone here all phones are available without contract just straight purchase.
Price is high for all (699 Euros for 16gb 3gs iphone as compared to 579 euros for HTC HD). When you look at the fact you can jump from carrier to carrier and whichever plan is cheaper it seems fair.
What we looked at today was the HTC HD. Already knowing this is older version and HD2 is out it is not a real big deal as pops is not too techie and wont be downloading apps by the dozen.
My concern is I am seeing that the op system for these phones is Microsoft 6.5 and some reviews I am seeing say that 7.0 will be out end of yr and phones with 6.5 wont work or run 7.0 ? I am reading about Android Incredible which seems similar but diff in some way but cannot find out what op system it has ? There are many phones here not available in USA. We also looked at Sony Ericcson Xperia which is similar.
Me having been one of the ones who waited for Iphone in line when it first came out have only had an Iphone ever since and I'm dumb when it comes to what seems like 100s of touch phones copying Iphone.
I just want to get him something that will be easy for an old guy to use and intuitive without a lot of cussing. Again he is not gonna be doing much other than calling, texting, checking email and the occasional web surfing. At least he says so now but we all know once you get one of these smartphones you cant put them down.

Iphone you 'sync' pics and info thru Itunes.
How do you 'sync' info on HTC phone ?

I have no complaints about my Iphone other than its soon to be the older model when Iphone 4 comes out.
The HTC phones I know nada about ?

Please help and advise as well as give specific info and reasons other than 'HD rocks or Droid is cool'.
I am leaving here in a week and last thing I want is for him to be cussing me and his new phone after I leave. :laugh:

So which one should he get ?

Thank you.

From what I understand its true that windows 6.5 phoness will not be upgradeable to 7.

The HTC incredible sports a OS called android. It is made by Google and is a Linux based OS.

The Incredible has a interface on it called HTC Sense. Its a user interface that comes with most all HTC phones. If I am not mistaken you will see the same UI on even the windows 6.5 phones you that were made by HTC that you mentioned.

These phones imo aren't as user friendly as a IPhone. Not that there difficult to use but the iPhones UI is more straight forward. But they do offer more freedom to do stuff with in the OS. it sounds as though your dad wont be using the phone to its full advantage though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I run a Motorola Droid and I support iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile & other Android based phones at my work.

Let me just say that after spending a few weeks with a trial Droid, I decided that I would probably never own an iPhone, the droid just has too much potential. I like the hardware of the new iPhone v4, but I think that in a very short time, the Android based devices will match and even beat the new iPhone.

To answer the question about sync'ing data with Android phones:
The phone syncs seamlessly with Google based accounts (including gmail) contacts/calender/email as well as Microsoft Exchange accounts. It will obviously also download email from regular POP3 email accounts too.

To sync files/photos, one just plugs an android phone into a PC and the phone will automatically prompt you to see if you want to "mount" it's storage on the PC you are plugging it into. At that point you can just copy to/from the phone like a flash drive.

I copy tonnes of music to my phone and photos off my phone this way.

Yeah I agree. Lots of potential. I am also running a Motorola Droid. I had a blackberry before this and could never go back. This phone is just to much fun. Especially if you like messing around with custom ROMs and such. Mine is rooted and over clocked to 1.2 ghz. I'm also running the newest version (2.2 FROYO) with flash 10.1 and wireless tethering. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Iphones are quickly falling into second place. HTC is pretty much taking over and it is because their phones are far more superior.

I just purchased the new Evo opening day Jun 4th, love it especially coming from a Pre.:thumbsup:

Back