i need a new rear tire

teamorion22

Registered
I have had two mich power pilot duel components and I have really liked them. But i think I'd like to try something new. What do you recommend and why? I ride pretty aggressive but I doubt any more aggressive than most. I have never drag raced but I plan to in the future.
thanks
michael

I bought my 06 used with 2800 miles on it and it already had a shinko 009 on the rear. I ran it last year and didn't have any major complaints with it. It seemed to hook up good on straights but felt a little unstable in hard turns. I've heard guys that drag race say they like them for drags so that may be an option. I ran it all last year and just replaced it with a Bridgestone BT016, still running the BT56 on the front. I can tell a huge difference in turns and it seems to hook up well when I hammer it on a straight but haven't put many miles on it either.

I'm sure some of the guys that drag race will be able to give you some better info, just thought I'd throw my two cents out there. :beerchug:

I like Dunlap Qualifiers:thumbsup: Also Cycle Gear has rear Qualifiers on sale right now. $30 off!

I find the Michelin Pilot Road 2 exellent, great grip and great mileage.
Have 3500 miles on the back and loads of grip left.

Cycle gear is having a $20 off sale on the michelins right now and they said they are going to be having a good deal on pirellis coming up in the next couple weeks. Im not for sure which model of pirellis though. Just something to check out.

I've been using the Bridgestone BT21 since the original tires delivered their soul to the maker. I've been using Bridgestone's for the last 3 bikes I've had. I'm very comfortable with them. Since I've bought the Hayabusa in August '08, I've installed 2 sets of BT21's and now I'm changing to Michelin (read the Post Scriptum).
The last time I changed (Pirelli Diablo) my bike got run over by a truck so I try to stick to what I know.
For your style of riding, I'd recommend the BT16, BT21 if you're going for a very durable tire.

P.S.: I'm going on a national touring event this June and they offered a 30% deal on Michelin tires, so I just installed a set of "Pilot Road 2". I'm really liking them. They feel pretty much the same as the BT21... I guess the final decision on whether I'm switching definately to Michelin is how long they are going to last. The BT21's last 14500+kms with my style of riding.

I really liked the standard Pirelli Diablos on my previous bikes, but I swear that these BT15s feel just as good to me on the busa. I've got 4800 miles on the rear already and still have plenty of tread to go.

D

I bought my 06 used with 2800 miles on it and it already had a shinko 009 on the rear. I ran it last year and didn't have any major complaints with it. It seemed to hook up good on straights but felt a little unstable in hard turns. I've heard guys that drag race say they like them for drags so that may be an option. I ran it all last year and just replaced it with a Bridgestone BT016, still running the BT56 on the front. I can tell a huge difference in turns and it seems to hook up well when I hammer it on a straight but haven't put many miles on it either.

I'm sure some of the guys that drag race will be able to give you some better info, just thought I'd throw my two cents out there. :beerchug:
Only tire Shinko makes that's worth a $hit is the 003 U-soft, and then only for drag racing. Sucks in the wet, sucks in turns......
Some friends have the 009 on street bikes, they won't track straight on one wheel, or in turns, and these are guys that know what they're doing.
Don't think I'm bashing Shinko, I run the aforementioned 003 U-soft, but that's all they're good for.

If you like multi compound tires I would HIGHLY recomend the BT016. It's a tripple compound tire. It gives you excelent traction in the corners and sticks well on hard acceleration as well. I can't tell you anything about how it will do on a drag strip cause I've never tried it there, but on the street it's a very good tire. I only have about a 1/16th or 1/8th inch worth of chicken strip left on them if that tells you anything about the cornering ability (I've never been to a track and it's very hard to find a public road safe enough to ride hard enough to get them completely gone).

Back