Bridgestone B-015 tire pressure in the mountains

Rick Ekstrom

Registered
I'm heading to the mountains next month and will be doing the twisties for about 4 days. I was wondering if I should lower my tire pressure from factory setting of 40lb. I would like to get some better traction without getting them to hot, causing a blowout due to low tire pressure.

I plan on going with Mich Pilot Powers next time around when the factory installed Bridgstone B015's wear out

Your thoughts?

Regards, Rick

I'm on my second set of Pilot Powers on my gen2. They're pretty good for a cheap tire, but they don't last very long. I like to drag knees, but the middle of the rear goes away quick. I assume the heavy Busa kills them even faster.
I'm 175lbs without gear, and I've found that 34 to 36 in the rear and 38 to 40 up front rides good for me. If I bring the rear up to 38 to 40, I get alot of headshake in fast curves, knee down or not. When I ride wheelies with the rear over 36, as soon as i get somewhere around 80, it wobbles bad. Both situations seem like it would be the opposite, tires underinflated tend to wobble at higher speeds, not so for me with these.
No real complaints, they're good for the money, and stick great for the first 1500 miles or so. I also ride between 700 and 3500 ft above sea level. Tires feel about the same throughout.

I also think those R77 slipons are hindering your tire's performance. I'de be willing to help you out and take them off your hands:laugh:

I'm heading to the mountains next month and will be doing the twisties for about 4 days. I was wondering if I should lower my tire pressure from factory setting of 40lb. I would like to get some better traction without getting them to hot, causing a blowout due to low tire pressure.

I plan on going with Mich Pilot Powers next time around when the factory installed Bridgstone B015's wear out

Your thoughts?

Regards, Rick

Ricky, if you want maximum traction, run your 15's at 30psi cold and they will serve you well. If you have a girlfriend whom you dearly love and haul her 350 pound arse on the back then 42psi cold on both ends is proper and will serve you well. These are extremes on both ends of the spectrum. You should be looking for something near the middle.

I have romped the BTO15 on many track days as well as twisties and it's a very dependable tire with good grip. A solo ride in the mountains is not as demanding as a track day so there is no reason to use 30/30 track pressures. I'd suggest between 32 & 35 psi cold in both ends according to how demanding you'll be on the tire. The more demanding you are the lower pressure you want. I'd suggest 34psi. I have romped many twisty miles on the BTO15 using 34 psi and it served me well.

Now lets move on to more important things such as Pilot Power/2cts. I would never recommend these tires for my worst enemy. These are the most over rated and under performing tire I have every encountered. If you had picked up as many crashed bikes on PP's as I have, you'd avoid those things like the plague!

They are great tires all the way up to the scene of the crash! :beerchug:

Ricky, if you want maximum traction, run your 15's at 30psi cold and they will serve you well. If you have a girlfriend whom you dearly love and haul her 350 pound arse on the back then 42psi cold on both ends is proper and will serve you well. These are extremes on both ends of the spectrum. You should be looking for something near the middle.

I have romped the BTO15 on many track days as well as twisties and it's a very dependable tire with good grip. A solo ride in the mountains is not as demanding as a track day so there is no reason to use 30/30 track pressures. I'd suggest between 32 & 35 psi cold in both ends according to how demanding you'll be on the tire. The more demanding you are the lower pressure you want. I'd suggest 34psi. I have romped many twisty miles on the BTO15 using 34 psi and it served me well.

Now lets move on to more important things such as Pilot Power/2cts. I would never recommend these tires for my worst enemy. These are the most over rated and under performing tire I have every encountered. If you had picked up as many crashed bikes on PP's as I have, you'd avoid those things like the plague!

They are great tires all the way up to the scene of the crash! :beerchug:

Good information on the pilots for sure. I was just reading about them and looked like it would be the tire for me, guess not. I'm not ready for tires yet but when I do it's hard to choose. It's like everything else around, everyone one has a different opinion and dont know what to choose. It's almost as bad as oil selection.

Ive been using Amsoil for 20 years and all of a sudden you read an article that the Harley guys almost lost their engines because the oil lost its vescosity.(So they say) Ive had 14 motorcycles in my time of riding and never had a problem with that oil from air cooled to water cooled.

Any way, to tell you the truth, Ive been running Bridgestones for ever and never had a problem with them so I just may stay with what I know best.

Thanks for your information, It was most valuable.

P.S. Oh by the way, Girlfriend is my wife at 123 lbs and she is staying home so I can enjoy the trip :laugh:

Last edited:
Back