I love the busa, sat on one and well not to comfy...looking for mod options

Sam Blackwell

Registered
Hi all, first let me say I looked at this bike at the dealership and I instantly fell in love with it for the sheer look of it, really do like the look and am very keen on reports that the bike is very linear in it's power delivery which is very important to me as I don't want to be surprised in the wrong way.

First off I am not considering this bike due to it's speed although the power is welcome for when/if I ever need it, having said that it is paramount to me that the riding position is comfortable and well, getting on it I was underwhelmed.

Yes, it is a sports bike but I know people have used it as a tourer and as such I am sure the vast majority of people will not be able to sit upright on this from stock.

My question is: If I wanted to have a tourer like position (basically upright) how or even can I achieve this?

I have heard of the heli bars and risers but not convinced an inch or so is going to make the difference between the stock position and the position I would need to be happy to buy this bike.

Any advice on whether this is possible as well as any trade offs would be ideal.

Thankyou all

For around $500, Spiegler makes a dirtbike style top clamp conversion.
I had one. I had Heli-bars and .75" spacers prior to that.
I had a back injury that made me want to try them, as the stock position was no longer comfortable.
I had a gen2 for 3.5 years. My main complaint(just me personally)is that the gas tank is so long. I'm 5'10" with a 34" inseam, and easily flatfoot the Busa. The reach to the bars(even the Spiegler bars)was just too much to be comfortable for me.
My solution...I traded it for a B-King. Upright riding position, Busa power, and extremely comfortable. I sold that after a year or so.
Next bike for me will be another GSXR1000, and I'll add dirtbike bars to that also. My friend has that setup on his 09 1k, and it's the most comfortable bike I've ridden in years.
The Busa is a great "does everything well" bike, but if you're unsure about it's comfort, I wouldn't buy one.
Post your location, maybe someone here with Spiegler bars is near you, and you can go sit on it.

Couple guys were asking basically the same thing and that's an issue some previous busa owners had as well. Some said the bar risers made a difference and others said it wasn't enough. Go take a seat on a Kawasaki Concourse and see if that's the seating position your looking for. Hate to steer you away from a busa but that may be more of what your looking for and nothing you can do to a busa will achieve those ergos

Couple guys were asking basically the same thing and that's an issue some previous busa owners had as well. Some said the bar risers made a difference and others said it wasn't enough. Go take a seat on a Kawasaki Concourse and see if that's the seating position your looking for. Hate to steer you away from a busa but that may be more of what your looking for and nothing you can do to a busa will achieve those ergos

+1
I've never rode a Concours, but sitting on one at the dealer, I really liked it.
Never hear of any real issues with them either.

Well the main difference between the Busa and the ZX-14 (and even the Blackbird) is that the busa is basically a sport bike. The riding position is a little forward because that is necessary to get weight up front so she turns properly. If you can't make this work go to a ZX-14, which has a traditional street bike seating position. Unless you fit ape hangers, it's going to be a weight forward bike.

I have the Spiegler bars on both my Gen2 Busa and My Gen2 ZX14R and it makes a huge difference. I also have a Gen2 Concours with the Horizon Heli bar which actually makes the Concours too much of a sit up bike. You can also use different bars than what Spiegler sends and make the Busa or the 14 quite comfortable obviously not as much as the Concours but 300-400 mile days are no big thing for the Busa with that set up and they are so much faster than the Concours.

Helibars, Genmar Risers and Buell Pegs. Search for these and you will learn how they help body position. But nothing beats solid seat time as your body WILL adjust if you ride it enough.

I couldn't even ride mine more than 20 minutes at a time when I first bought it. Over time I learned how to sit correctly, and my arms/wrists strenghtenend and adjusted. Good luck.

But nothing beats solid seat time as your body WILL adjust if you ride it enough.

+1000. FWIW, I did my 1st Iron Butt SS1000 on my Busa. And actually prefer the Busa for multi-day long distance rides (vs a cruiser and scooter that I also own)

Lots of options to raise the bars on Busa's.

I have a top yoke conversion with Renthal 789 bars on mine.

I'm old enough and have collected enough injurys that I struggle with stock bars over distance.
On my current bike I have done 1200 miles over a weekend, something I couldn't have done
on a factory bike.

Google top yoke conversions or "Comfort kits"

Some come with risers that have a slight angle back so you don't need to trim the screen or fairing.

If I buy another new Busa it'll be my first mod.

The other options are to make riding positions irrelevant. Adding cruise control and a steering stabilizer will help with weight on your wrist and allow for a more relaxed ride. I can tell you that seat time is HUGE, after awhile you just can't imagine riding anything else...

+1
I've never rode a Concours, but sitting on one at the dealer, I really liked it.
Never hear of any real issues with them either.

I'm on my second concours. If the thing had ti ts I'd marry it! :thumbsup:

I now use the connie for my daily ride and trips. I think the connie is the best bang for the buck available. About the same price as a busa and much more versatile. I love the adjustable windscreen and heated grips that come stock on the connie. Cruise control would be a nice addition however!

If comfort and traveling is your bag, don't overlook the connie!

Simple one...

Get the Buell Footpegs.

Get a gel seat (various opinions of what is a good and bad seat so i'd suggest there is no such thing as a "one size fits all arses" seat.. ive got the suzuki gel seat and it works for me).

Get some sort of bar risers. I have Helibars and they are ace.

Get a bigger screen.

I can do 500 miles with that setup and can just about walk afterwards lol

Jza

Exactly..

My question is: If I wanted to have a tourer like position (basically upright) how or even can I achieve this?

1687 Miles in 36 Hours. Mods are only limited by your pocketbook. The busa is a couch.

Cruise Control. Good tankbag to lay down on. Air Hawk + Corbin. Toss stock pegs. Electrics. Taller ST Screen.

Upright = lower pegs, lower seat, taller bars. Easy!

PashnitBikeBuild: Modding the NEW Pashnit Hayabusa

9769395552_87467ae960_b.jpg

9769383651_c9b9c407c4_b.jpg

Back