Suspension, How far is to far

mr8ball

Registered
As many of you know I have a very bad back and I have been playing with the Suspension settings on the front and back of my bike. Right now I am out 6 clicks from stock position. I was wonder how far is to far? I am looking to take most of the jarring when I hit a bump. Anything else I might be able to do to help with this? I am 5'8 and 160 lbs I do mostly street riding and am not worried to much about the twist's. Thanks in advance

You might want to check out the Airhawk.

The NEW AIRHAWK R Motorcycle Seat Cushion

They have a 60 day guarantee - so if it doesn't help, can return it. I think it would help tons with your comfort.

As to the original question, sorry, not sure how far is too far. But it will affect handling if you soften it up too much.

Thanks I tried it and did not like it at all. It is to big for the seat and bunched my BOYS up so bad I could not ride it that far. I tried all kind of air settings and nothing helped. I sent it back and had no trouble getting a refund. Thanks

Compression located on the bottom of the fork leg and on the top of the shock is your best bet to soften up the suspension.

You should have around 20 clicks on both forks and shock. I'd start in the middle and keep backing it out two clicks at a time until the ride becomes bearable. The shock has more to do with the ride than does the forks. You may want to consider a softer spring as well.

when I stretched my bike it road like a cadillac you might consider that its like putting on a softer spring...and have you checked out the heley bars it puts your grips a little more than an inch closer to you and I have a gel seat on my bike and love it...one more thing have you lowered the rear end of your bike it will help a lot by putting you in a more upright position

Compression located on the bottom of the fork leg and on the top of the shock is your best bet to soften up the suspension.

You should have around 20 clicks on both forks and shock. I'd start in the middle and keep backing it out two clicks at a time until the ride becomes bearable. The shock has more to do with the ride than does the forks. You may want to consider a softer spring as well.
This is what I have been fooling around with. Right now I am at 6 clicks out and was not sure how far I could go and still be safe. I will go out some more and try it to see how it feels. Thanks

when I stretched my bike it road like a cadillac you might consider that its like putting on a softer spring...and have you checked out the heley bars it puts your grips a little more than an inch closer to you and I have a gel seat on my bike and love it...one more thing have you lowered the rear end of your bike it will help a lot by putting you in a more upright position
I have had the Heli Bars on my bike for 5 years now. I also tried the Gel seat and did not like it. I have the Tobin seat and just got a new Corbin. It has been lowered front and rear. I will turn the Compression out some more and see what happens. Thanks for the help

Why are you on a sport bike if your back is that bad? I mean, I know why but maybe you should consider something with a more upright seating position like a B-King or a Conni. Softening too much could actually become unsafe. May be time for a change?

Why are you on a sport bike if your back is that bad? I mean, I know why but maybe you should consider something with a more upright seating position like a B-King or a Conni. Softening too much could actually become unsafe. May be time for a change?
When I bought the bike I had a HD I sat so upright it killed me to ride. A friend let me ride his busa and with the little bit of lean forward it was so much better so I bought one. It has been over 5 years and just over the past few months I have started to notice it. I hurt my back again. I checked and I can only go 2 clicks more and I will be all the way out. I have a new back brace coming this week to try and I hope that will make a difference. I can deal with it. Also I am not going to ride for hrs at a time. I was just looking for ideas. I don't want to be unsafe so I will turn it back in a little. It really does not seem to make that much of a difference anyway. Thanks to all for the help and advice.

You might want to check out the Airhawk.

The NEW AIRHAWK R Motorcycle Seat Cushion

They have a 60 day guarantee - so if it doesn't help, can return it. I think it would help tons with your comfort.

As to the original question, sorry, not sure how far is too far. But it will affect handling if you soften it up too much.

I might have one of these in the garage. If I do I'll send it to you if you want. If you like it you can keep it. I'll check tonight if you want it.

Oops, just read on. I agree that it's not very comfortable in terms of the movement but it does damp out some bumps. It's pretty expensive but it sounds like it might be time to look at another bike or new suspension might help. The aftermarket stuff can be drammatically smoother than the stock setup. You could try gold valves and springs, I used those on my Bandit and the difference was pretty awesome but those forks were much lower quality than the stock Busa stuff.

Hope you can find a solution because you promised me a ride some time!

For me that's why cruisers don't work. You sit too upright and my back bends in the wrong way. On a sportbike like Busa I lean just enough forward to be able to bend my lower back in instead of out. More comfy for me.

For me that's why cruisers don't work. You sit too upright and my back bends in the wrong way. On a sportbike like Busa I lean just enough forward to be able to bend my lower back in instead of out. More comfy for me.
Yes on mine if I ride a long was I will put the tank bag on and lean against it and it really makes a difference. I remember when I first got my bike coming back from bike week in Myrtle Beach I was doing that and caught myself nodding a couple of times. It was a 8 hr ride for us with a few stops. My bike was real smooth when I first got it but I guess over time everything settles and things change. I am thinking about going back to the BO16's tires next time I have to change them. They seem to be a soother ride for me as well. Marty (Sixpack77) told me a few things to try and I am going to do that in the AM and try it. Most people that have never had a bad back just cant understand what the ones that do go through to have somewhat of a normal life. Not getting much sleep and living on pain pills is no way for anyone to live but you do what you have to. I might have to try other springs when I get some extra cash. Thanks again to all for the help. The Org is the best :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just checked racetech website and your factory rear spring is to stiff for your weight. Stock for Gen 2 is 14.5 kg/mm and for your weight they recommend a 13.1 kg/mm which I believe just happens to be a stock Gen 1 spring rate. So possibly not sure if they the springs are interchangable but might be another member here that has upgraded their rear shock and has a stock spring laying around you could try. Would offer you mine but I have already paid it forward to a friend that decided to stretch his GSX-R1000 and needed a stiffer shock.

8ball have you ever looked into getting an inversion table to decompress your spine? It's works wonders,and it helps a lot.

8ball have you ever looked into getting an inversion table to decompress your spine? It's works wonders,and it helps a lot.
Yes, I had one for about 5 years but after my last surg they put 6 to 8 screws in my back and I was told not to use it anymore. I did try it a few times but always would feel a pinch in my back so I sold it. Thanks for the thought

I just checked racetech website and your factory rear spring is to stiff for your weight. Stock for Gen 2 is 14.5 kg/mm and for your weight they recommend a 13.1 kg/mm which I believe just happens to be a stock Gen 1 spring rate. So possibly not sure if they the springs are interchangable but might be another member here that has upgraded their rear shock and has a stock spring laying around you could try. Would offer you mine but I have already paid it forward to a friend that decided to stretch his GSX-R1000 and needed a stiffer shock.
I will have to try this. I would be lucky to be 165 suited :laugh: I look like an ant sitting on a bull with this busa but love it :cheerleader: I weigh about 160 out of the shower and have tried to gain weight but for some reason when I put on a few pounds my back hurts even more. I will see if I can find a spring. I did back it off (Tension) this morning and will try to ride today and see how it feels. Thanks for the input

Your best bet is to install softer springs on both ends. Spring rate is your issue for a softer ride. Backing off the compression just allows the spring to compress faster. If you are backed all the way out on compression damping and it still rides rough, you need softer springs. Talk to Golden Child and see what he would recommend. Nothing you can do to soften the spring.

First thing I would do in your situation is raise that puppy back up to normal height. Lowering the bike restricts the amount of travel you have available in the suspension. If you install softer springs you will most likely be forced to raise it back up to stock height.

Back