I know it's no Busa.

In 1986 Cycle World did shoot out of GSX-R1100, Zx1000 Ninja, FJ1200 and V-Max (Maybe the VFR1000 was in there too, don't recall). What I do recall is that the Max went 151 mph on pavement over and over again. Very repeatable. The GSX-R ran random 148 to 150 and finally tickled a 151 in front of the radar. Neither one was the fastest though. The king of speed back then? Zx1000 = 158 mph top end. It was very weird as they commented that the GSX-R also ran an identical quarter mile time to the Max. They stated in the text highlights (I may be one or two words off here), "That both the V-Max and the GSX-R1100, two very different motorcycles, would perform identically in two very different arenas is astonishing."

Last edited:
Kaw had 6 gears, so did the ZX-10 and 11 that followed it at the top of the speed charts. FZR and Gixxer big bores only had 5......not sure on the Max.

Wow Sfc that is one wicked lookin VMax...:thumbsup::bowdown:

Super nice.

I think a light green bolt kit would look awesome on that engine as well.
Maybe gold...???

Hey Rick, I've seen you on the Vmax Forum and that is ONE BADDASS PAINT JOB!
I don't have a trick paint job but have done a few things to my '09 Max:
I think lowering it 2" was the most impressive to me.

No, it's not a Busa and was never meant to be. I really don't know why so many Vmaxers even try to run with the Busa on top end--won't happen!
But it sure is a lot of fun in the low and mid ranges.

Hey, how did we get on this forum anyway? Thanks Busa guys, for putting up with us.

Man I have to report that our local dealership has SOLD their Dyno. It's sad to see the only one in our area go away. We used to have Dyno shootouts every year and now it's not gonna happen for a very long time. I love those dyno shootouts and will miss it!

Here is the finished pic of the VMax after I powdercoated a few engine covers. At least I have a great bike and can still adjust the PC-V with a laptop.

P1010043.JPG

100_0667.jpg

Reddirt is my Dad, he's been riding V-max's for 20yrs or more and now he has a new one and I'm really impressed with the bike. We had it at the track and he was running low 10's on the bike completely stock, he will be 72 next month! I weigh 300# in leathers and I went 10.50 on it

Hey Rick, I've seen you on the Vmax Forum and that is ONE BADDASS PAINT JOB!
I don't have a trick paint job but have done a few things to my '09 Max:
I think lowering it 2" was the most impressive to me.

No, it's not a Busa and was never meant to be. I really don't know why so many Vmaxers even try to run with the Busa on top end--won't happen!
But it sure is a lot of fun in the low and mid ranges.

Hey, how did we get on this forum anyway? Thanks Busa guys, for putting up with us.

I have quite a few friends that ride all sorts of bikes...even a busa or two. I like to keep current on various bike forums cause I've also have been a bike parts designer and contract with companies.

The VMax is simply a bike that pushes the envelope between cruiser style and sportbike performance perimeters.

I also have found a few forums that are user friendly without immature antics that have ruined other forums. This one is one of the best!

:beerchug:

That's a cool helmet, but it's not suited for runs at 170mph. I guess it would be cool for parking lots but a full face helmet is a must for high speed runs, especially since the VMax has NO windscreen or fairing. I currently have this ICON "Operator" helmet and love it.

index.php

I had a Gen1. Loved the bike but cornering and top speed were not it's strength's :whistle:

Love the paint job, very, very nice bike!

Back