I hate wind!

I live on a very very windy little island and frequently ride in gusty winds and rain. The best piece of advice I can give you is to pay extra attention when entering a corner, choose a lane position that gives you max room to counteract a sudden gust and ALWAYS be prepared to LEAN!

I was tucked and doin' 80 and got hit with a 50 mph crosswind that made me change lanes. Luckily it was a 6 lane freeway and nobody next to me. (3am) If it's going to be too much of a fight to keep the bike in the lane, I don't ride.

Where I live in Cali, there is the Delta breeze. It is the wind from the ocean coming inland where it is warmer. At least 4 days out of the week, the wind gusts to about 35 mph. It sucks to fly in winds like that, so I don't fly much.

It does blow you off track while riding the Busa because they are cross-winds (blowing across the highway). After some testing, this is what I found:

Most of the effects of the wind are in your head. If you wear earplugs, the pucker factor goes way down on windy days because you don't hear the wind and the effects are less dramatic.

If you have a Double-Bubble windscreen, the wind doesn't effect the Busa much, even with cross-winds. I swapped between the stock and DB screen on the same road and there is a huge difference.

If you kick down one gear and keep the revs at 6000 or higher, the Busa seems more stable. Maybe it's the gyro effect?

You are more streamlined and less effeted by the wind if you wear a snug fitting leather jacket. A textile jacket creates more drag and allows the wind to move you, which of course moves the bike.

Finally, if the winds are really high, you are far from home, and the pucker factor is at its max because you almost went off the road or just missed getting slammed into a tractor-trailer. Praying to your favorite deity and vowing to live a better life and helping the less-fortunate if you could only make it home in one piece, will give you that little edge to make it home safe.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back