I hate wind!

BusaBill

Donating Member
Registered
I was riding around today when the wind really started to pick up...I felt like I was going to be blown off of my bike or blown over...by the time I got home I felt like I just went 12 rounds. I wonder if a good gust could actually take someone off their bike if they weren't ready for it...hmmm. Maybe, I will just avoid riding on extremely windy days like today.

I’m with you!

This may sound a little strange, but something I have found to be very helpful in windy conditions is wearing earplugs! I don’t know if there were small wind vortices created in my helmet that slightly threw off my balance by disturbing my ears, but I was a little nervous riding in windy conditions too; This really seemed to help; My balance improved and the wind no longer bothered me. It also improved my riding overall. Pick up a cheap pair of the spongy orange earplugs (I think they are rated around 33 dB reduction) and give it a try! Has anyone else found that wearing earplugs improves their riding?

Jeff.

I wear ear plugs ALL the time. But I'll warn you, it makes it SEEM you are going slower. I am getting used to 25-30 mph gusting here in Iowa - but I don't enjoy it - I hang on to the handles TOO TIGHT. I've heard of wind knockign someone over stopped at a light, but have never heard of a wind accident. I am still trying to decide if it makes any different hunching or sitting up? You'd think hunching would be best, but it makes the Busa mass larger. I sat up in some heavey winds today and suprisingly, it didn't make much difference. Higher than 35 mph winds, I stay home and play Nintendo

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079841854 -->

Don't mind the wind. The in town roads here are too straight and the wind just seems to make them twistier!
biggrin.gif

I went riding yesterday on the "sail"...it was rough, but I was glad to be riding...it's been nearly a month since I'd been on him!!!
cool.gif

I did feel sort of beat up by the time we got back home though...Spring needs to hurry the hell up!

Yep, strong gusts kept me from makin' my Cheaha Mtn run yesterday. Now it has turned cold again.
mad.gif
Damned weather!

I have never heard of anyone being blown over or thrown off a bike by wind. But is does play a factor in your riding. I tell my students that wind may cause you to sway a bit in lanes, but its no different from driving through wind blast from trucks. Just look ahead a ride through it. Its a mind game. If you let it freak you out, then its going to freak you out, your going to make it harder than it needs to be. There have been times that I had to press on the handrip (lean into the winds) for miles, just to keep myself from switching lanes. Best damn ride of my life..
biggrin.gif
Its just like bridge grating, if you look ahead and just go over it, it poses no problem, but if you start freaking out and fighting it, then you can get hurt... just my .02
cool.gif

Another tip for you folks, something that helped me a lot when I am faced with STIFF winds.  Go ahead and tuck, elbows to knees folks and get as small as you can behind your screen.  It'll do two things, One it reduces the drag effects of your brick like torso's,  Two it reduces the sensation of the bike going "Out from under you" when you get hit with a big gust.  

Oh, and it reduces the amount of noise from the turbulant air...

oops, last thought... Make certain you do not have loose clothing blowing around, get your leather on. The extra drag from things flapping in the breeze really makes a difference on how much you get jerked around...

The only time the gusts really bug me is when I am just tipping into a corner and I get tht extra helping push over... That makes things interesting.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079969780 -->

Another tip for you folks, something that helped me a lot when I am faced with STIFF winds.  Go ahead and tuck, elbows to knees folks and get as small as you can behind your screen.  It'll do two things, One it reduces the drag effects of your brick like torso's,  Two it reduces the sensation of the bike going "Out from under you" when you get hit with a big gust.  

Oh, and it reduces the amount of noise from the turbulant air...

oops, last thought... Make certain you do not have loose clothing blowing around, get your leather on.  The extra drag from things flapping in the breeze really makes a difference on how much you get jerked around...

The only time the gusts really bug me is when I am just tipping into a corner and I get tht extra helping push over... That makes things interesting.
I was so tucked down over my tank Rev, I could almost, almost see through that stock windshield!
smile.gif

It was the only way that I could ride and feel like the wind wasn't so much of a factor...I did, at one point, have my bike leaning well to the left from cross winds...it's a little unnerving, but it didn't keep me from riding...

<span style='color:blue'></span>I've been riding every chance I get lately trying to get some miles under my belt again. Done a lot of riding in the wind because of it too. Can agree about feeling like you just went 12 rounds. Mostly feel it the next day. Never "felt" it as much till I started riding the busa though. Geuss its all in the weight difference.

When ever there is strong winds I tuck in close to the bike. Especially if the winds are coming from the front such as gusts of winds from passing trucks.

If you are driving in a high winds, especially side winds, if you are sitting straight up, you are almost a separate entity from the bike and as such can be affected differently and separately from the bike. When you lay down and tuck in close (I am lucky, I am 5’9, when I tuck down I am behind a double bubble, my chest is sitting on the tank and the chin of my helmet is touching the tank) at least for me, I feel as though as I am now part of the bike, and instead of a gust of wind being able to blow me OFF the bike, the wind is going to have to be strong enough to blow the bike over.

And keep in mind, the faster you go, the more forward momentum you have requiring a larger amount of force to blow the bike over.

So my recommendation in high winds. Tuck in close to the bike, don’t let any air between you and your baby and go fast.

Give yourself room however because little gusts will push a little changing your direction, so you might be weaving pretty good within your lane. Just make sure nothing is on either side.

This has always worked for me..

One thing I noticed the Busa holds much better when behind those big booty semis. It's those sudden cross winds that feel like they're going to flip you on your side that freak me out.

I remeber last summer going across Idaho to oregon looked like it was gona storm running about 80mph down the road and then a side wind hit pushed me to the passing lane i had to lean the bike more then 45 degress to keep it running straight down the road i was like man nothing like twisty riding down a straight road i learned later that day a tornado had gone through where i was traveling
wow.gif
It musta been bad cause i did see semis and cars pulled over to the side of the road and he i come wizzing by at 70 in a full lean
laugh.gif

Been wicked windy down here all week-really getting old.Weekend's supposed to be an improvement.:D

Back