I gotz big problems..busa might hafta go..

I'm curious about the content of the two-page letter. Definitely keep that as a hole card through all of this.

It sounds like your boss is starting to face reality instead of delusion as he did before.

Best of luck to you.

--Wag--

lets hope its pans out well further down the road bro.
beerchug.gif

Bill of all the things people have said two stand out and I agree with them completely. 1- GOOD machinist ARE hard to fine. I'm sure you would have no problem finding another job if you wanted. 2- In reference to #1, if you wanted(it may open the door to something you would have never concidered before. The comment I agree with the most is "things happen for a reason" and at the time we think it's the worst posible time for it too happen. Usually later we look back and say something like "it could not have happened at a better time in my life. I only say this because I've had 3 major(not job based) things that have happened to me. All of which I thought would change and hurt my ability to enjoy life as I knew it. I was wrong. My life changed but it was for the better. I guess someone else sees the big pic. better then me. I enjoy life to the max. everyday now, at work or play. All will workout my friend. Good luck, a pm sent, Doug.

Bill, I know it sounds like over simplifying but all you can do is your best while trying to maintain a decent attitute. It sounds like that's exactly what you're doing and if "Bossy" appreciates this, it's his gain. You'll be fine regardless. Hang tough and DON'T sell O-ren
smile.gif

Dang, Bill! This kind of stress nobody needs, but sometimes things happen for a reason. After a week like this, I'm sure you'll never be at the comfort or trust level with your employer that you might have been a week ago. I guess all we can do is go to work everyday, work our butts off, and go home knowing that we did the best we could. The rest will work itself out. I'm sure your employer knows that this kind of work can't be successfully farmed out to another country (yet) without a heck of a lot more issues than you see everyday in your shop.

QUOTE: until...my boss hired a 2nd shift guy a week ago...of ethnic origins....for about $5 an hour less than what i earn....END QUOTE. (all other quotes are contained in postings made by initiating author)

I love it. The whole part about a guy who works $5 bucks less...of his "ethnic origins" (sic)...of him speaking in broken English (sic)...about him almost crying...about bad unfair bosses who can't see the difference between genuine American and aforementioned individual of race...

In the world of business, when I do a bad job I admit it and let my boss know. If he gets angry, I give him some space to cool off. I don't start putting down minorities, portraying them in some "incapable fashion" to show that I'm the less blameworthy one. I  acknowledge my mistake and if he fires me, then so be it. We exist in a capitalist economy where our jobs are never safe...if you want guaranteed jobs, then go to a communist country.

In my experience, I don't ask for financial help from others because I can't pay for my own possessions. Rather, I take responsibility for my own financial problems. I guess what has me riled up is that we always implicitly blame people of "ethnic origins" because it is the easy thing to do when really, we should examine our abilities and attitudes.  

At the end of the day, we must see beyond race and elevate ourselves as human beings.  As philosophical as it seems, it is not.

firedevil.gif

I've said my piece. Nuff said.

(steelhead @ Oct. 06 2006,06:09) QUOTE: until...my boss hired a 2nd shift guy a week ago...of ethnic origins....for about $5 an hour less than what i earn....END QUOTE. (all other quotes are contained in postings made by initiating author)

I love it. The whole part about a guy who works $5 bucks less...of his "ethnic origins" (sic)...of him speaking in broken English (sic)...about him almost crying...about bad unfair bosses who can't see the difference between genuine American and aforementioned individual of race...

In the world of business, when I do a bad job I admit it and let my boss know. If he gets angry, I give him some space to cool off. I don't start putting down minorities, portraying them in some "incapable fashion" to show that I'm the less blameworthy one. I  acknowledge my mistake and if he fires me, then so be it. We exist in a capitalist economy where our jobs are never safe...if you want guaranteed jobs, then go to a communist country.

In my experience, I don't ask for financial help from others because I can't pay for my own possessions. Rather, I take responsibility for my own financial problems. I guess what has me riled up is that we always implicitly blame people of "ethnic origins" because it is the easy thing to do when really, we should examine our abilities and attitudes.  

At the end of the day, we must see beyond race and elevate ourselves as human beings.  As philosophical as it seems, it is not.

firedevil.gif

gee.....you sound like a wonderful person as well.

(steelhead @ Oct. 06 2006,09:09) QUOTE: until...my boss hired a 2nd shift guy a week ago...of ethnic origins....for about $5 an hour less than what i earn....END QUOTE. (all other quotes are contained in postings made by initiating author)

firedevil.gif

I'm not sure what "world of business" you live in, but if you truly believe that under-qualified, under-trained people don't get hired over better candidates because of their ethnic backgrounds or "disabilities", you are living with your head in the clouds.

Bill- sounds like you are a straight up, class act guy. The boss doesnt deserve you. I hope it all works out for you. Its always a shame to see people cut corners, then take twice as long, double the end price because of it.

I would have told him to gfhs long ago. I dont have a long fuse like you apparently. Good on you.

(tbonebusa @ Oct. 07 2006,12:00)
(steelhead @ Oct. 06 2006,09:09) QUOTE: until...my boss hired a 2nd shift guy a week ago...of ethnic origins....for about $5 an hour less than what i earn....END QUOTE. (all other quotes are contained in postings made by initiating author)

firedevil.gif

I'm not sure what "world of business" you live in, but if you truly believe that under-qualified, under-trained people don't get hired over better candidates because of their ethnic backgrounds or "disabilities", you are living with your head in the clouds.
+1, Sorry but don't think that makes Jinkster racist or jaded. This happens everywhere in the US. People are rarely hired for the abilities anymore. Jinks was reverse discriminated against if you ask me.

(Fate @ Oct. 07 2006,21:28)
(tbonebusa @ Oct. 07 2006,12:00)

firedevil.gif

+1, Sorry but don't think that makes Jinkster racist or jaded. This happens everywhere in the US. People are rarely hired for the abilities anymore.  Jinks was reverse discriminated against if you ask me.
Glad all is well for you Jinkster... Pretty sure they'd hire you here in a heartbeat and the pay is very good.

Stuff like this happens all the time and everywhere. Even more so the other way around ... For example those who get hired because of who they know or because he's the son-in-law of the boss.... etc etc (like in my company) The good ol'boy thing (those of no "ethnic origin").... I guess it can be put that way..... And with absolutely no qualifications at times but still gets hired for the position.

Hiring people of "ethnic origins" ...?
rock.gif
Will those who have no ethnic origins please stand up.

What if it would've been a dumbass "non-ethnic" origin person...??? Would it have been ok...?

Some of the words used and the comments used don't sound right do they...??? But I guess they were typed under stress.

Anyways Jinkster... I am happy it all worked out for you... just had to rant a little after what I read.

Well folks...here's yet another update annnd...some clairifications for the reality impaired...

Update: All seems to be well at the moment however...the $20,000 part in question seems to have been backburnered...oh i finished it up and pushed every dimensional tolerance given to the limits to cover up as much of the sins as possible and i think it'll get bought off by the customers engineering staff under a NCR (non-conformance report) but it's like everyones so stressed out about it nobody wants to deal with it at the moment...so there it sits awaiting judgement....which equates to more stress on my end...as it seems i'll get to answer for my one small sin and somebody elses several huge sins.

But meanwhile?...i'm already on to the next huge and extremely complex billet aluminum job...spent 6.5 hours today (saturday) formulating a game plan, establishing some surfaces and getting some programs and tooling lined up..and...it seems bossy has moved my new coworker off to another machine....where he's following under the watchful eyes of our #1 days mill man who writes all his programs for him and leaves step-by-step instructions for him...and if he screws up there?...i gotta feeling it'll be adios...as out #1 mill man is also a 1st class prick...and "The New Hire" had far better "Odds Of Survival" with me.

and now for the...

Clarifications For The Reality Impaired:

1. I'm not a racist.

2. I ALWAYS take full responsibility for ALL & ANY of "my" mistakes.

3. I used language to accurately describe my situation...

and finally?

4. Yeah....i was stressed when i posted...and yes....paying bills for a family of 5 is a biotch when you're facing a potential sudden loss of employment...and i'm doing the best I can to "be nice" explaining this shid.

But for the time being?...it seems i'm still employed..for the moment..so?...thanks for all the thoughts, prayers and "positive forward looking statements" folks!
biggrin.gif

and?...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

ethnic or not...a dumbass is a dumbas....being 'ethinic' only contributes to the fact that such a dumbass may have been hired due to their ethnicity despite their dumbassedness.

americans in particular are hated in many places around the world. what separates us from them is the fact that our bleeding heart conservatives and spineless lawmakers have twisted the very foundation of this country to accomodate every raft floatin, fence jumpin, river swimmin, 10 of you in a car trunk jammin person that sees fit to cross our borders despite our politically correct posted 'no tresspassing' signs......just so they won't hurt their 'feelings'.

so if a person needs to be described as of "ethnic origins"....to help me get a better idea of the situation then so be it..... I could only imaging the storm of crap that would have been stirred if person had been described using their true heritage.
then someone might be directly offended.

this isn't directed at anyone in particular unless you meet the criteria.

BGP.gif

all_coholic.gif
ok no more drinking for me ( I wish ) .... time for bed.

I too have to a big family to support (6) and have to get up at 5am tomorrow.

Sorry if I came across wrong.... I was just ranting away above...
wink.gif

What I can understand from this story, fundamentally, is a new worker who is obviously under qualified and incompetent; and thus he is being paid less than a skilled and experienced worker.

The boss naturally demands a higher standard from his TRUSTED worker and would thus be more exacting. Obviously the boss has faith in his trusted employee and therefore moved him to CAD technology. The threats made by the boss are definitely wrong, but not unexpected in today's competitive economy. The bottom line causes distress and feelings of anger in the entire organization when there is failure, which comes out negative rather than constructive.

I don't read ethnic origin as the primary cause of this problem. There may be subtext, but objectively, the fundamental problem is productivity and managerial expectations.

This is my last post in this thread.

Back