I GOT A JOB!!!

jay21112

Registered
I GOT A JOB!!! WHOO HOOO

Long story below (but in case your short on time, I already told you the ending!)

Ok all I've even know was school. I went to The University of Rhode Island for 6 years. I got a B.S. in dietetics there, then I did my 1 year dietetic internship to become a Registered dietitian there, and I got my M.S. in nutritition there (the internship year was intermixed with the 1st year of my master's degree.)

Well in August of this year (or last year, 04') I completed my thesis and graduated. Since then I moved home with my parents who have been supporting me (thank god for them, I guess this means no nursing home for them when they get old!). In the meantime my bike crapped out...so I bought a new bike, and my car crapped out..so I bought a new car. Ok 35K in dept....but hey I'm gonna get a job soon right?

Well from August to January, I went on like 10 interviews for positions as a dietitian or as a manager in hospital foodservice. Everybody loved my degrees and qualifications, but since I was right out of college I had a big goose egg under the work experience column (and in my field you have to complete the internship...so it does NOT count as work experience). So...no jobs for Jay.

Time goes by and I figure I'm never gonna get a job. I get kinda down in the dumps..but I just hit the gym everyday and kept myself focused on my diet and exercise so I can prove to myself that I can succeed at something.

Anyways.... December comes around and my aunt works for a company that works for Blue Cross Blue Shield of RI, and she says she can get me a Per Diem job there making $14 an hour. I said sure because it was money...and it was a foot in the door in case a job opened up later.

Well as I interview for the job they say they have a full-time position opening up and if I would like to come back to interview for it. I say hell yeah! So the next week I interview for it and they give me a job description that says 3 years experience REQUIRED 5 years experience PREFERED. So I get a little sad because I figured this was another loss.

So last week I go in to fill out the paperwork on the per diem job, they do a criminal background check on me, and I pee in a cup for them. And then yesterday I get a call. Here it is....they found out about my double homicide in 1983 (you know when I was 3 years old.), J/K. I figured It was the call to start the per diem position. BOY WAS I WRONG! It was BCBS asking me if I wanted to decline the per diem position and take the full time position. They said I had to agree to accept the salary offered....which was $10,000 MORE THAN ANY OTHER JOB I HAD INTERVIEWED FOR + FULL BENEFITS!!!! I was dumbstruck and managed to get out.....I'll take it.

And so here I am folks. Five months ago I graduated college with a masters degree and no experience. For 5 months...almost half a year... I went without any income and was denied jobs left and right. And then I land a job paying more than I ever hoped to make right out of college.

I don't what happened. Somehow, somewhere recently I must have unknowningly saved the life of the reincarnation of Ghandi or Mother Teresa, and now good karma is coming around to me.

With this salary, in a few years I'll have both my vehicles payed off, maybe a turbo in the busa...and I'll be looking to buy my own house (not pay it off, i'm not making that MUCH, but you know what I mean)!

So first the Pats win the superbowl, and then the next day I get a job. God bless America, and God bless you guys for being here to share in my joy. May you all have as great a week as mine is turning out to be!

(Now if they would do away with speed limits......
smile.gif

Way to go! It's funny how life takes those interesting and unexpected turns. Congrats

Congrats! In the end everything works out for the people who put in the effort! Good luck.

congrats on the new job..................good things come to those who wait!

Congrats on the job. I know personally how hard it can be getting a job right out of school. Luckily I needed my internship also to graduate and then they ended up hiring me after that and the story goes on from there.

Congrats
beerchug.gif

If it makes you feel any better, I had to wait 1yr & 10months before I got my job that I went to school for. I had to work 2 part-time jobs adding up to 70 hrs/week(go figure part-time) until I was hired.

And I only got a B.S.

Good deal, Jay
beerchug.gif

uploaded_banner.jpg

[/b]</span>[/url]send a private message to Rhythm or KS-WaterBug for password to recieve group discount price on HID kits.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107922243 -->

uploaded_banner.jpg

Congrats and just think. It all started with buying a new Busa.
thumbs-up.gif

Back