I can't pull the ft brake lever

zook

Registered
does anyone know how i can mod my gen 2 so i can actuate the ft and rear brakes by just stepping on the rear brakes i injured my right hand and can't squeeze the brake lever. also possibly an alternative to throttling. busas for the handicapped, what next? you can cut my arms off, but I'm not getting rid of my Busa.

The Can-ams use a right foot pedal to operate both front and rear brakes, maybe you can adapt a similar system to the Busa and make a mint from such an Idea, good to hear you are such a Die hard.:thumbsup:
PS
I plan on many more days of riding the 18 to Crestline if you are interested. I don't use the brakes too much on that ride so should be fun.

Last edited:
man you need a linked brake system, but most LBS systems are designed from the manuf, to get the proper balances, maybe redo the ft brakes so that it operates the ft brakes only.

Our Can-AM works very well with just the one pedal. It has a sensor that tel it where to put the most breaking power. Good luck.

thanks for all your help. i hope i get through this soon otherwise i'm going to have a really expensive collectors item just sitting in my garage. thanks again to all of you.

Hey Zook, I know a CBR XX 1100 Blackbird uses a Linked Brake System...my buddy had a 99' that had it. I was thinking he said there was some type of proportional valve that you could adjust to "divide" your braking force over the front and rear (i might be wrong here - been a long time since we talked about it...might be preset as Racer_X mentioned). I'm sure the parts could easily be found used for that bike and it does have similar weight/power (within reason guys! don't taze me!!:laugh:).

This might allow you to only ride with the foot pedal as the others before have wisely suggested. I mention this bike specifically because my buddy sold his bike (in running condition) for $1500. You could possibly find a running bike and strip it for the brake system - or find one junked...much cheaper than buying a new system...maybe.

Last edited:
I wouldn'y mess with a linked or proportioned add-on system unless you are a certified brake engineer. This can be very touchy and very dangerous. Is there some kind of physical therapy you could add to your recovery??

I wouldn'y mess with a linked or proportioned add-on system unless you are a certified brake engineer. This can be very touchy and very dangerous. Is there some kind of physical therapy you could add to your recovery??

Aussiekeeper does raise a valid point and reminded me of something I did fail to mention...I agree with him here...just forgot to mention that was why I suggested stripping the entire brake setup from one (or more) donor bikes of the same machine. Mixing and matching parts could be a dangerous problem due to "unknown" pressures generated by the lever/mastercylinder/calipers, etc. At least if you had an entire bike to strip, you would then know the components would be predictable when used as a complete setup.

BTW...I have not invested any time researching this subject at all. I just had a few conversations with my friend because I actually thought I would like to add a LBS to my Busa - and that seemed to be the easiest method. Of course I never moved on it, but the thought still remains.

Last edited:
Looks like the thumb brake option is the best for you right now.

Didn't mike1180 post a scan about a racer who had this on his bike?
I think it was in reference to back brakes and how he could not use his foot to properly apply the back brake. Do a search for milke1180's post.
Bubba

I would check in with some of the stunting boards to see how they intigrate both a foot lever and hand control into their rear brake system.

I would think that you would need a bigger master cylinder and incorporate a brake proportioning valve into the system.

a wrench slipped when i was pushing on it kinda hard and slammed my hand into part of the engine tearing the tendons.

Back