I am a dumbass

mcwille

Registered
I want to start by saying I have been riding since I was sixteen. but I never got my endorsement..... there are several reasons why. most of them involve my lazyness, and or stupidity such as getting my permit and letting it laps. or getting my permit and the getting my licence suspened. now this year a finally went to take the test, and I was told not to take it on the busa because they would be harder on me and I would fail because of the low speed figure eight and other parts(I have yet to try the monuvers on my busa I should probably try it before I say I can't). but i went to take the test on my brother's old 1980 650 yamaha XS. I got to the test, and he had let the insurance laps on it so I couldn't take it I went to head home and get the busa to take it and on the way home I got off I-75 and the bike didn't slow down like I needed it too. the brakes are old as sh*t and need to be replaced. I wiped out at 50 and hit the guard rail. i'm ok just some cuts and bruises and i feel like i got hit by a truck but ok. his bike is toast! that is really the end of my story except has anyone heard of some passing that test on a busa?

i think its all in the skill of the rider. you should be able to pass with your experence i would think, i took the test 20 + years ago on a old 72 or 73 honda 350, which if i took it now i would ride the busa.

thats the kind of thing i needed to hear my friends are telling me that the tester will rule me out when he sees the type of bike.

I took the ERC (Expereinced Rider Course) on my Busa and passed, but the figure 8 gave me the most trouble. GunnyBusa is an MSF instructor and does his demonstrations on his Busa... there are several people who have done it... I recommend that you take an MSF course to get your liscence - and it will give you an insurance discount!

beerchug.gif

just practice on your own. set up some paper cups. Move them in when you get the hang of it. Practice makes anything possible.
Good luck!

Hey! I passed as well with my busa!!! and for me the figure eight seemed alot easier for me... the instructor was impressed on how good the bike stoped, but Im glad I have my license now because now i dont feel guilty any more with out a license!!
bowdown.gif

TATTOOS082.jpg

passed my test back in the day on a Harley Sportster. The tester moved the cones out a bit for me and another guy on a 750 with fairings and bags.

After we both passed, she joked that she was going to make us both come back each time she was in town so people that showed up on the 125's to take the test could see that big bikes could pass the test as well....

They know that folks take the test on smaller bikes and then ride big ones. My experience is that they appreciate someone that has the stones to take the test on what they actually ride.

I had much the situation as you, I had been riding since I was 13 years old and am now 37, never bothered to get the correct endorsments on my license untill about 2 years ago.
I would highly recomend the MSF course in your area, once you pass the basic rider course on there bikes (250cc) you get to waive the road test and you will learn alot even after riding so many years.
The course will really help you with slow speed handling.
The course was money well spent.

does anyone know the lay out for the test in MI? or where i can find it? i have yet to find any info on what i have to do other that a figure 8, weaving and a hard stop

I should have just taken it on the busa from the state i am very comfortable on my busa and it was cake to pass it and if i had just gone there on the busa from the start none of this would have happend

i just took the test on my busa i've riden my dads harleys for a while but was never endorsed so when i got my busa we don't have the fig 8 in florida but bob and weave cones so when i went to take it i failed the first time and the second time but when i went to take it a third the woman was really cool and said if i miss one cone its 3 points or if i miss 2 or more its 5 and 11 is failing so i just drove straight through the line and took my five points and i didn't miss anything else but the cones are 10 feet apart but offset 5 feet and you had to stay on the outside and that really sucked for the hell of it i went and drove on the course on my buddies rebel and it was cake compared to mine

Yea that slalom makes no sense. I went through 3 of 5 and skipped to the u-turn test. Why do I have to perform something that would earn a ticket on the street?

(kaosccw @ Jul. 07 2007,07:56) Yea that slalom makes no sense. I went through 3 of 5 and skipped to the u-turn test.  Why do I have to perform something that would earn a ticket on the street?
Ahhhh, to show your control and mastery over the beast "grass hopper!"
cool.gif

I passed on my busa without any problems. I went down to the DMV a couple of nights before I took the test to just run through the course and see how hard it was.

I don't think I was judged any harsher for being on a big bike. The scoring is pretty objective. If you hit a cone, you loose points, if you touch down, you loose points, if you fail to stay in the designated area, you loose points. Each section of the test you get three attempts, I think.

The closest I got to stereotyping by bike was "You don't have to do everything so fast." But I passed with no points lost.

My opinion is you should test on the bike you're going to ride. Not only do you know the machine better, but if you have trouble with some of the tests, you'll have some insight into some skills you might want to work on.

first off, sorry to hear that ya wiped out but glad to hear ur for the most part ok.

second, i passed the test on my busa first try. performed all obstacles and only had a point deduction on the right hand u-turn which is absolutely ridiculous to have to even do. the slalom wasnt nearly as bad as i anticipated. i jsut rode the hell outta the clutch and leaned with the turns.

(MC MUSTANG @ Jun. 21 2007,05:14) I took the ERC (Expereinced Rider Course) on my Busa and passed, but the figure 8 gave me the most trouble. GunnyBusa is an MSF instructor and does his demonstrations on his Busa... there are several people who have done it... I recommend that you take an MSF course to get your liscence - and it will give you an insurance discount!
+1. did it on my 00 Katana at the time, figure 8 was nuts and you need to practice a few times before being able to make it properly.

You can do it on your own if you prefer, just pick an empty parking lot and try to maneuver an 8 through 4 parking spots (2 width x 2 length). pretty nuts on a bike like the busa but it can be done, you'll need to stand and shift lots of weight on the outside.

Though again the MSF is priceless, ez to pass and you'll get a discount on your insurance (pays itself off within a couple of years).

Back