How to make you own power pucks for LED wheels

chrias

Registered
How to Make Power Pucks for LED Wheels
Materials required
Copper clad board (basically a circuit board. I bought mine from an electronic surplus store)

Carbon brushes (Bought mine from a hobby shop that deals a lot with RC cars. They come in different shapes and sizes. Get the round ones)
MO008_LRG.jpg

Pen spring
BallpointPenSpringWithRefill.jpg

22 AWG wire
S-W22B_MED.jpg

Battery
FBGBatteryBusa1.jpg

Heat shrink tubing
Wire strippers/crimper
LEDs
Gorilla glue or superglue
Gorilla-Glue-2-oz_50F50F8D.jpg

Soldering iron
220px-Soldering_gun.jpg

Solder wire
Solder flux paste (optional. Dip the end of the wire in the paste, heat the wire and the solder will flow on the wire easier)
Clamps or vise grips
Drill bits
Hole saws (I used a 2 1/2”, 1 ¼” and 1 ½” for the Busa. Didn`t have a 2 1/4")
attach-hole-saw-drill-800x800.jpg

Dremel or drill press with sanding roll (I used a drill press since I don’t own a dremel)
SR%20dremel%202_800.jpg

If you want to do multi-colour LEDs it is more involved and you will have to buy the controller. The controller has to be mounted inside of the wheel.

1. Remove rear wheel from bike

2. On the brake rotor side remove the axle spacer and pry off the dust seal

3. Now we’re going to make the power puck. Take your 2 ½” hole saw and cut 5 pieces from the copper clad board. Then use the 1 ½” hole saw to cut out the center.

4. Peel the copper from all the discs except for one. Leave a little bit on one of the disc so you have something to solder to later on.

5. Now glue the five pieces together, clamp it and let it dry for at least an hour.While the power puck is drying we will make the contact ring which will go on the wheel.

6. Cut another circle from the copper clad board and drill out the centre. Start sanding the outside of the ring until it fits in the wheel.

7. Once it feels snug, take your axle spacer and place it on the wheel to see how much to sand off of the inside of the contact ring. It should not be touching the axle spacer.

8. Once done, file all the copper on the whole outer edge of the contact ring on an angle as well as the inner part. You don’t want any copper touching the wheel or spacer.

9. Take a piece of 22 AWG wire and solder it as close to the outer edge of the contact ring as possible. This will be your power wire for the LEDs.

10. Drill a hole through the wheel just above the bearing. This is so you will be able to pass your wire through to connect to your LEDs.

11. Take your LEDs and mount them on your wheels however way you want them and run the wires through the wheels exiting all in one location.

12. Drill another hole in your wheel for your ground connection. Connect all the negative wires of the LEDs together and crimp it to a connector then use a self-tapping screw to ground it.

13. Take all the power (+) wires and connect it to the power wire of the contact ring.

14. Take your battery and connect the (-) to the ground connection of the wheel and the (+) to the contact ring. If done correctly the wheel should light up. If not, double check your connections and make sure the contact ring is not ground out on the wheel.

15. Take your power puck and sand the inside of the puck first. Make sure it fits snug on the axle spacer.

16. Once done, sand the outside of the puck until it fits inside of the wheel. It should be able to spin freely with the axle spacer.

17. Now to mount the carbon brush. Drill a small hole first all the way through the puck where the copper portion is. Then, on the opposite side of the copper, drill a larger hole for the carbon brush to fit in but do not drill all the way through! You need a backing for the spring to sit on!

18. The pen spring is used to keep constant pressure of the carbon brush on the contact spring. I had to shave down nearly half of the carbon brush I had bought. You don`t want it sticking out too far out either when it`s pushed in. You will have to determine on your own how much of the pen spring should be cut.

19. Solder the tail of the carbon brush to the copper on the backside of the power puck. Do not solder it with the carbon brush compressed in the hole.

20. Solder another wire to the same copper spot of the carbon brush. This will be your power wire that will connect to the (+) side of your battery

21. Glue the power puck to the axle spacer. Make sure the copper on the power puck is not touching the spacer or it will ground out.

22. Mount your wheel back on the bike and connect the positive side to the battery. If everything was done correctly the wheel should light up!

23. The same thing is done on the front except it is mounted on the left side of the wheel and you do not glue the power puck to the axle sleeve. You drill 3 holes on the side of the power pucks and use set screws to hold it in place.

24. The contact ring and power puck are smaller on the front wheel. Use the 1 ¼” hole saw for the center.

25. Now go attract some attention!

Unfortunately, I don`t have any pics at the moment of my setup. I will update it again in the future when I take photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I can't edit the first post I'm going to repost it all here with some pics I took and also to make minor adjustments to the text.

1. Remove front/rear wheel from bike

2. (rear wheel) On the brake rotor side remove the axle spacer and pry off the dust seal
(front wheel) On the left side, remove the dust seal and disc rotor

3. Now we’re going to make the power puck. Take your hole saw and cut 5 pieces from the copper clad board. Then use the 1 1/2” (rear) or 1 1/4" (front) hole saw to cut out the center.
IMG_20130415_201147.jpg

4. Peel the copper from all the discs except for one. I used a small pair of needle nose pliers and rolled it off. Kinda like when you peel open a can of SPAM. Leave the copper on one of the disc so you have something to solder to later on.
IMG_20130415_202556.jpg

5. Now glue the five pieces together, clamp it and let it dry for at least an hour.While the power puck is drying we will make the contact ring which will go on the wheel. This is what the puck should look like after it's dried and sanded. This is the photo of the front. The rear is a little bigger. I will remove most of the copper after I've soldered the carbon brush and the main power wire to it.
IMG_20130416_083459.jpg

6. Cut another circle from the copper clad board and drill out the centre. Start sanding the outside of the ring until it fits in the wheel.

7. Once it feels snug, take your axle spacer and place it on the wheel to see how much to sand off of the inside of the contact ring. It should not be touching the axle spacer.

8. Once done, file all the copper on the whole outer edge of the contact ring on an angle as well as the inner part. You don’t want any copper touching the wheel or spacer.

9. Take a piece of 22 AWG wire and solder it as close to the outer edge of the contact ring as possible. This will be your power wire for the LEDS

10. Drill a hole through the wheel just above the bearing. This is so you will be able to pass your wire through to connect to your LEDs. This is what it should look like when you 've finished the contact ring. If it's a little loose you can just put a little gorilla glue to hold it in place. Just make sure the glue is nowhere near the center of the bearing.
IMG_20130416_083637.jpg

11. Take your LEDs and mount them on your wheels however way you want them and run the wires through the wheels exiting all in one location.

12. Drill another hole in your wheel for your ground connection. Connect all the negative wires of the LEDs together and crimp it to a ring connector then use a self-tapping screw to ground it. I will paint this black when everything is completed.
IMG_20130416_083657.jpg

13. Take all the power (+) wires and connect it to the power wire of the contact ring.

14. Take your battery and connect the (-) to the ground connection of the wheel and the (+) to the contact ring. If done correctly the wheel should light up. If not, double check your connections and make sure the contact ring is not ground out on the wheel.

15. Take your power puck and sand the inside of the puck first. Make sure it fits snug on the axle spacer.

16. Once done, sand the outside of the puck until it fits inside of the wheel. It should be able to spin freely with the axle spacer. This is the front wheel.
IMG_20130416_083543.jpg

17. Now to mount the carbon brush. Drill a small hole first all the way through the puck where the copper portion is. Then, on the opposite side of the copper, drill a larger hole for the carbon brush to fit in but do not drill all the way through! You need a backing for the spring to sit on!

18. The pen spring is used to keep constant pressure of the carbon brush on the contact spring. I had to shave down nearly half of the carbon brush I had bought. You don`t want it sticking out too far out either when it`s pushed in. You will have to determine on your own how much of the pen spring should be cut.

19. Solder the tail of the carbon brush to the copper on the backside of the power puck. Do not solder it with the carbon brush compressed in the hole.

20. Solder another wire to the same copper spot of the carbon brush. This will be your power wire that will connect to the (+) side of your battery.

21. Glue the power puck to the axle spacer (rear only). Make sure the copper on the power puck is not touching the spacer or it will ground out.

22. Place the power puck in the wheel and connect the positive side to the battery. If everything was done correctly the wheel should light up like this.
IMG_20130413_184943.jpg

23. Mount the wheels back on the bike and test. If everything works out it should look like this. Unfortunately the chain isn't connected in this pic.
IMG_20130414_203156.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you should totally pre make some setups and sell them! no LED, No spring, Just the copper part all glued and sanded/drilled correcly with maybe the wire soldered on. perhaps do small orders of the rear and then the front.

depending on the cost i would be in for a rear! im not a huge fan of Lighting, but i do think thats bad ass!

you should totally pre make some setups and sell them! no LED, No spring, Just the copper part all glued and sanded/drilled correcly with maybe the wire soldered on. perhaps do small orders of the rear and then the front.

depending on the cost i would be in for a rear! im not a huge fan of Lighting, but i do think thats bad ass!

I've thought about it but I have to find the time to make them as it is time consuming. I'm still working on trying to make them look a little better and I have an idea for a quick disconnect so I don't have to solder a wire to the puc.

that is awesome! put me on the list or one when you decide, (share the price first) even a bare minimal kit for just the rear would be amazing!

if you decide to do this and need some help writing a very nicely organized PDF install step by step, i would be willing to help with pictures of every little step with instructions.

I'd be in for a rear also !!

Very creative idea coupled with great ingenuity ! Once this idea gains more momentum somebody is going to be challenged to come up with clear windows for the front fender, or a custom front to let the light out!

The whole idea is over the top which is perfect for an over the top bike like we have !

How much would you guys be willing to pay just for the puc or the puc with the carbon brush installed? Mind you it will come with the contact ring as well.

I wish I had a small lathe to make the pucs perfectly round though. I have to drum roll sand them by hand

How much would you guys be willing to pay just for the puc or the puc with the carbon brush installed? Mind you it will come with the contact ring as well.

I wish I had a small lathe to make the pucs perfectly round though. I have to drum roll sand them by hand

if only you had a small press with a die that could punch out the puc, that would speed up the process exponentially.

im not overly sure how much time (all) in it takes you. year a lathe or a press would make it quicker! here is a quick break down of prices i think should be fairly close

im not sure how much the parts where either. normally when i do costs, i figure out how much each on costs. round it up the nearest dollar figure example: 8->10
then i figure out how much each one takes or the group time split and the amount of frustration.

im not overly sure how much time (all) in it takes you. year a lathe or a press would make it quicker! here is a quick break down of prices i think should be fairly close

im not sure how much the parts where either. normally when i do costs, i figure out how much each on costs. round it up the nearest dollar figure example: 8->10
then i figure out how much each one takes or the group time split and the amount of frustration.

Well, in order for me to make more I'd have to take the wheels off my bike again as I don't have spare wheels to work with. I only have a spare rear axle spacer.

It is very time consuming and it probably takes me around 3 hours just to make the pucs glued and sanded. Soldering and mounting the carbon brush is probably another hour

I was able to score a set of chrome wheels for my bike and I added red to the outer lip and white on the spokes. Here's a vid of it.

[video]http://s96.photobucket.com/user/chrias70/media/20130525_211242-1.mp4.html[/video]

great mod! Lost me at drill hole in wheel though.. pass. I am sure orgsters going to jump all over this:beerchug:

Back