How To Gut Cats?

Dwayne Greenidge

Registered
Hello all. I'm new to this website and I wanted to know if anybody ever gutted there cats on there Busa? If so, was there a major sound difference at idle and under load? I have stock headers and Yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber slip on's. Thank you in advance.

Oh and I'm not worried about emissions either. I have that handled already lol

Why don't you just take it off and replace with a header pipe? And no, it really doesn't make that much difference if you are keeping a street muffler on it.

Although not with a busa, I had a friend beg me to do it to his Aprilia. It sounded like crap, very tingy. He rode it for about a week before he replaced the exhaust.

I believe the r-77 is yoshimuras race series pipe. You just need the full exhaust to get the most out of it. There has been several members that have used Vance and Hines headers. The Coffman is just a tip that goes on your stock header.

I believe the r-77 is yoshimuras race series pipe. You just need the full exhaust to get the most out of it. There has been several members that have used Vance and Hines headers. The Coffman is just a tip that goes on your stock header.

Honestly I would like to sell my R-77. I'm only asking $400.00 for the duals. They came brand new on my bike. I only had my bike for a month now.

IMG_20160624_183546621_HDR.jpg

What yr is the bike? I believe the 08-09 models have a welded in cat. If that's your model then ya need a yosh header.

The bike in your avatar is a gen1, it doesn't have a catalytic convereter.
Only gen2's(08 and newer)have cats.
I gutted mine before buying a full exhaust.
Mainly to get rid of some heat, and it did.
But, as expected, it caused low rpm hesitation. As there was now a big empty chamber for the exhaust to pressurize.
It could have been fixed by welding and fabricating an X pipe to go in it's place, but it's not really worth it unless you can do it yourself, or get it done cheap.
You can always buy a Vance&Hines stainless steel header. It's a direct bolt-on for a gen2, has no cat, and works with ANY mufflers, even stock. That header will also fit a gen1, but unless your mufflers have sliding hanger mounts(your Yoshis pictured above do), then'll you need to fab some extentions to stretch between the mufflers and peg mounts.

The bike in your avatar is a gen1, it doesn't have a catalytic convereter.
Only gen2's(08 and newer)have cats.
I gutted mine before buying a full exhaust.
Mainly to get rid of some heat, and it did.
But, as expected, it caused low rpm hesitation. As there was now a big empty chamber for the exhaust to pressurize.
It could have been fixed by welding and fabricating an X pipe to go in it's place, but it's not really worth it unless you can do it yourself, or get it done cheap.
You can always buy a Vance&Hines stainless steel header. It's a direct bolt-on for a gen2, has no cat, and works with ANY mufflers, even stock. That header will also fit a gen1, but unless your mufflers have sliding hanger mounts(your Yoshis pictured above do), then'll you need to fab some extentions to stretch between the mufflers and peg mounts.

I have a gen 1 and gen 2 Busa. I can't afford the V&H headers at the moment, so I was trying to figure out how to modify my headers just for more flow. I feel like my exhaust is to quite and the cars don't hear me on the highway. I had a few close calls. I will talk to my buddy and see if he can do the X pipe conversion for me. Thanks a lot

I have a gen 1 and gen 2 Busa. I can't afford the V&H headers at the moment, so I was trying to figure out how to modify my headers just for more flow. I feel like my exhaust is to quite and the cars don't hear me on the highway. I had a few close calls. I will talk to my buddy and see if he can do the X pipe conversion for me. Thanks a lot

Yes sir, but gutting the converter or adding an X pipe won't make it much louder.
The tone will change slightly, but that's about it.

Should be fine if you just flip them over,but maybe for peace of mind get some new ones(a rear pain in the ass if you get everything buttoned up and one's leaking:D).I reused mine when I switched over to a Brocks full system and was fine but I only had 500 miles on the bike at the time.

Should be fine if you just flip them over,but maybe for peace of mind get some new ones(a rear pain in the ass if you get everything buttoned up and one's leaking:D).I reused mine when I switched over to a Brocks full system and was fine but I only had 500 miles on the bike at the time.

OK thanks. I just installed them back in. Was I supposed to use any type of spray or liquid gasket with the copper gasket?

I would just like to take a moment to talk about how, upon first reading the title, I had temporarily forgotten where I was and literally went

"WHAT THE *BLEEP* IS THIS *BLEEP*!?" :firing:

then I remembered where I was and was like "oh... those cats."

Yeah, I should probably go to bed right about now. My mind jumped all the way to thinking someone had posted about gutting kittens. I don't know why I try to read things after a 10.5 hour shift. :banghead:

Back