How strong is the Carbon Fiber subframe? Is it a bad idea?

Carbon subframe from Montgomery is a wild light weight piece , designed for race applications . It might be okay for fitment on solo riding only imo . I and others have contemplated this piece for street application , and in my case , 130kg dressed , well , I chose not too . I went for the DME aluminum subframe , very well constructed , and fixing points for stock bodywork , whereas the carbon version I mentioned I believe is made to fit the race carbon bodywork Montgomery also offer for Busa .

Carbon subframe from Montgomery is a wild light weight piece , designed for race applications . It might be okay for fitment on solo riding only imo . I and others have contemplated this piece for street application , and in my case , 130kg dressed , well , I chose not too . I went for the DME aluminum subframe , very well constructed , and fixing points for stock bodywork , whereas the carbon version I mentioned I believe is made to fit the race carbon bodywork Montgomery also offer for Busa .
Ahhh ok I'm 314 trying to get down to 250 so aluminum seems the better option now

When one creates a replacement part they are supposed to size it, radius it, etc. to match the strength of the initial part according to the properties of the new material. If the designers were thinking correctly the lighter material should not make a difference. But who knows if the CF piece was created in a minimalist fashion and if it can carry a load or not. I think the main problem is that the part is so expensive that there is a small population and likely no thorough reviews of it as a result.

I was not biking then but merely have read comments in these forums from the early Hayabusa era, and some alluded that a batch of the original AL subframes failed due to a defect. What the truth is I do not know except that if it was properly sized there should not have been an issue with one material replacing another.

When one creates a replacement part they are supposed to size it, radius it, etc. to match the strength of the initial part according to the properties of the new material. If the designers were thinking correctly the lighter material should not make a difference. But who knows if the CF piece was created in a minimalist fashion and if it can carry a load or not. I think the main problem is that the part is so expensive that there is a small population and likely no thorough reviews of it as a result.

I was not biking then but merely have read comments in these forums from the early Hayabusa era, and some alluded that a batch of the original AL subframes failed due to a defect. What the truth is I do not know except that if it was properly sized there should not have been an issue with one material replacing another.

you give the aftermarket Wayyyy too much credit
lol

The Gen 1 original 1999 and maybe the 2000 models were using a factory made aluminum subframe , which as mentioned by a lot of people on the org. was potentially prone to cracking and failure in some instances . The DME aluminum subframe is a custom built version , with all the benefits of hindsight ( I trust and trusted lol ) and was tested by my very own fat ass and proved good . Still , occasional inspections are a good idea . If I was planning two up rides on my old Busa , I would of gone back to Gen 2 steel standard factory subframe to be sure .

many of the lightweight parts are intended for racing applications. if you are concerned with strength and riding a passenger you should probably pass on these parts. carbon fiber is very strong for its weight but it does have limits and a lifespan. we all saw what happen to the titan sub. some of these light weight parts are only tested by tiny jockeys riding on a drag strip. if you are >300lbs, consider yourself the test pilot.

many of the lightweight parts are intended for racing applications. if you are concerned with strength and riding a passenger you should probably pass on these parts. carbon fiber is very strong for its weight but it does have limits and a lifespan. we all saw what happen to the titan sub. some of these light weight parts are only tested by tiny jockeys riding on a drag strip. if you are >300lbs, consider yourself the test pilot.
Very good points

Reactions: pcs
Back