How NOT to change your oil....Pic inside!

Years ago, I was changing the oil in my car. Went and dumped four quarts of oil in the fill pipe and when I was done, walked around to the driver's side to start the engine.

Stepped in a puddle of oil. Yup. Forgot to put the drain plug back in.

Redneck oil flush, eh?

biggrin.gif

I'm sure you didn't hurt your engine. It's pretty bullet-proof for the most part.

--Wag--

Here is what happened.  The old seal from the old oil filter was still on the engine when I took it off.  I didn't see it because of the fairing.  I was in a hurry, I didn't think about looking on the old filter to see if the seal was still there.  Now im just hoping a peace of the seal didn't get sucked into the engine.

Edit:  Success!  Both rings are there in their entirety!  So hopefully no damage was done.
Thats the 1st thing that poped into my head was the old filter seal. Learned to look for those a long time ago. Don't ask me how I know though.  
laugh.gif
whistling.gif

Oh boy, I kew that was what happened, right from the first sentence.

I gave up changing my oil.

NOT BECAUSE I CAN"T.

It's just a bother tring to dipose of the old oil.
Cleaning up the mess.
Having to remeber to keep a few crush washers around.
Disposing of the old filter.

It's just worth the $45.00 to have the dealer do it.
winkold.gif

It's just worth the $45.00 to have the dealer do it.
I would agree if they had qualified mechanics work on it every time. But the first time some pimply kid gets ahold of your bike, rashes up the plastics, forgets to put oil in, whatever, you're hosed.

You MIGHT be able to get warranty from the dealer on a problem BUT you'd wait a helluva long time before it panned out, especially on a current year model.

Not worth the hassle.

Plus, you can do it faster yourself.

--Wag--

Yeah, I agree.

I happen to know the one and only Tech at my little local dealership.
He's not only a Suzuki certified Master Tech,but a CMRA (Canadian version of AMA)sanctioned racer.
In other words... He knows his "Shi_".
cool.gif

I was just thinking about that old saying that go's with everything; "Those that have and those that will". I'm in the "those that have" category.  
whistling.gif

Suzuki filters are the only ones I have seen the seal come off the housing like this. If you have an air compressor blow out any grit and grime from around the outgoing filter before removal and then wipe the flange with a clean rag. And don't forget to lube the new seal prior to installation. I have 4 quarts of MX4T and a Purolator and two new tires waiting for me in the shop as I type this! I better finish my coffee and get to it eh?
peace.gif

Ive changed the oil in bikes a hundred times. I knew better than to do what I was doing. But for some reason the little hamster in my head must of quit spinning that wheel. Matter of fact, I think the hamster just plain out died on me tonight. I just want day light to get here so I can see what I actually did. I don't deserve to have a busa.
boohoo.gif
Busaman! I hate to admit that I find your thread funny but let me explain why. I did the EXACT same thing!!! I was able to get the fairing off without too much hassle but the seal from the old filter stuck with me as well and I also leaked oil (but it wasnt much at all--slow trickle) when I put the new filter on. When I had a peek I was like wtf, I must have tightened it so much that the seal squeezed out around the edges. So I went ahead and pulled the filter and drained 3.5 qts of fresh oil in to the pan. Went back to the dealership, picked up another filter and more oil. Got home and then it hit me. I checked the old filter and sure enough, no seal. I thought, wow how could I have overlooked that! Live and learn brother!

Years ago, I was changing the oil in my car.  Went and dumped four quarts of oil in the fill pipe and when I was done, walked around to the driver's side to start the engine.

Stepped in a puddle of oil.  Yup.  Forgot to put the drain plug back in.

Redneck oil flush, eh?

biggrin.gif

I'm sure you didn't hurt your engine.  It's pretty bullet-proof for the most part.

--Wag--
+1 i forgot to put the drain plug back in my 01 gsxr 1000, and for the life of me i couldnt understand why it wasnt coming up on the sight glass until i felt my knee getting wet. that was a $24.00 mistake.

Not sure about the noise but I got the new oil in. Crunk it up today and it was all good. I rode about 200 miles. The engine didn't seem any different it certainly didn't lose any power. A friend of mine has the 2008 Busa as well. I switched bikes with him and neither of us could tell any real difference between the two engines.

So I guess I was all worried and up set for nothing. Its all good!

A few years ago we were land speed racing a ZX-10 at Maxton when we hit something on the runway at about 185-190 mph. It ripped open the oil pan and it hit so hard the rider crashed his face into the steering damper (he was tucked of course) He sensed something bad and pulled in the clutch as the bike oiled down the track with smoke everywhere.

I got the bike home put on a new oil pan and filled it up with oil and its still running fine today. So I doubt you hurt anything in your engine.

I had the same thing happen to me on the first oil change I did on my '03 Gixxer 1000. Like you described, I caught it quickly and no harm done. I hope there's no damage to your 'Busa.

your engine should be fine
beerchug.gif
I had a feeling thats what you did. happened to me before on an f150
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Bummer not catching the old seal....
sadnews.gif

Concur with others; your motor likely has no ill effects. You shut it down almost immediately, so, aside from the mess, you're fine, I think.

I did the same thing when I changed the oil for the first time on my new 07. Never had a gasket stick on the motor before.

Here is what happened. The old seal from the old oil filter was still on the engine when I took it off. I didn't see it because of the fairing. I was in a hurry, I didn't think about looking on the old filter to see if the seal was still there. Now im just hoping a peace of the seal didn't get sucked into the engine.

Edit: Success! Both rings are there in their entirety! So hopefully no damage was done.

oilsealMedium.jpg
This is also why you are supposed to oil the ring by hand before installing the filter.

Man, these new fairings are causing havoc...
Suzuki makes awesome bikes...but I cannot BELIEVE that they didn't make the new busa's plastic easier to work with than the old one, which is a friggin' pain in the ass. In fact they've made the new one MUCH WORSE!!! Suzuki how in the hell did you manage to do that?
rock.gif
??? My busa's a bulletproof rocketship, most fun bike I've ever ridden...but also THE WORST to work on I've ever owned plastic wise. And they've made the new one even worse
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
what were they thinking
wtf.gif
crazy.gif
all_coholic.gif
pillepalle.gif
bs.gif

banghead.gif

banghead.gif

Man, these new fairings are causing havoc...
Suzuki makes awesome bikes...but I cannot BELIEVE that they didn't make the new busa's plastic easier to work with than the old one, which is a friggin' pain in the ass. In fact they've made the new one MUCH WORSE!!! Suzuki how in the hell did you manage to do that?
rock.gif
??? My busa's a bulletproof rocketship, most fun bike I've ever ridden...but also THE WORST to work on I've ever owned plastic wise. And they've made the new one even worse  
banghead.gif

banghead.gif

banghead.gif
 what were they thinking  
wtf.gif

crazy.gif

all_coholic.gif

pillepalle.gif

bs.gif
I agree. MUCH worse than my '06. Almost makes me wish I bought the ZX-14 instead-----ALMOST!
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif

banghead.gif

banghead.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

bro u will be fine..no engine damage...these engines are tough and u didnt let it run long..

The one thing i dont understand is the problem everyone is having with the fairings..i just took my time...it was a hassle i will admit, but i have had it off 3 times now since them without a problem...its mainly the snap tight tabs that are problems in my opinion...

Back