how many cc's was your 1st motorcycle

My 1st was a Rupp mini bike at age 7. It was 50cc w/kick start. Then I progressed up through the dirt bikes to a cr500, stopping at a couple rm125's and a DG rm250 along the way. Then I got a Quadzilla, Damn... 1st street bike was a 1986 GSXR 750 in 1987.

I started out on a 50cc mini bike when i was young then moved up to a 185 honda something my dad got me.

For me it was a '89 Honda VTR 250 streetbike.  You know, the white one with teal stripes and pink lettering.  

Oh I did not just write that did I?

89VTR250.JPG

Remind him to sign up for the MSF course.  It's a lifesaver
oh man i wanted one of those when i was in high school, i found a used one at the honda shop (this was 1992 btw)had the $$$ and my parents drove me up to get it and they SOLD IT!!! oh i was pissed

80cc

A Yamaha PW80. 3 speed tranny and a top speed of 35-40mph with the header/power reducer plate removed.
cool.gif
Of course I was only 7 years old at the time.

My second was a Kawasaki KX80 at 11 years old.

I always have contended that dirt bikes give a great foundation for street riding. My 1st was an XR80.

80xr80.JPG
+1

That's why MANY great roadracers ride dirt during the off season or between races. You learn clutch control, bike control, throttle control, and the how to handle the very limits of traction without getting killed on the street.

50cc but i was only 12 at the time. but it was a manual clutch four speed none of that girlie man automatics for me. oh that was 46 years a go too i was too small for a triumph or harley so i had to make do with a honda.

I dont know the cc's but it was a 1950 something kuschman eagle scooter.i was way young when my brothers and i were riding it.first street bike was and still have a 1975 suzuki gt-750 3 cylinder twostroke screaming mother$$%$#%.

Honda 50. What many new riders fail to realize is it takes years to be a good rider. It is like climbing stairs--- you take one step at a time. Be true to yourself

Honda 50. What many new riders fail to realize is it takes years to be a good rider. It is like climbing stairs--- you take one step at a time. Be true to yourself
you hit that on the head buddy. Fighter pilots don't start out in a f-15, race car drivers don't start out in a formula 1 car, motorcycle roadracer's don't start out in moto-gp. They all work "UP" to these things.

I like riding the Busa but I can honestly say I had more fun on my dirtbikes

Maybe no one else ever did this but there would be 3 or 4 of us riding full tilt around our little course with no regard for life, limb or property.

Having time to work on your tuck, changing lines, getting later on the brakes and trying anything to gain a bit of an advantage all at WFO...and having so much fun you pee'd your pants laughing when done...

The Busa will never allow that sensation, but it will certainly get the adrenaline going... I do not "fear" the Busa but it gets an inordinate amount of respect from me due to speeds it generates.. Just takes a certain element of "fun" out of the ride and trades it for ballistic speed..

Maybe it is the ability to stay at Wide open for more than 10 seconds at a time?

honda80 but i was alot younger then.

I think alot has to do with maturity, self control, and respect. When it comes to that moment of panic with a new rider they might grab a fist full and on a powerful bike that could mean the end. With more power things just tend to get uglier sooner.

Street was a GSXR750, I've had several dirt bikes, some 125 2 strokes that scared the piss outta me, and a few 250 4 strokes that were boring as all hell.

Not really sure
sadnews.gif
 How many cc's you think one of these bad boys has got?
rofl.gif
OMG! I try and block these things outa' my mind... neighbor and I put one together. No throttle / no brake! To fire it up one of us would hold the rear wheel off the ground and the other would give the cord a yank. Once fired up, the one who was gonna ride it would sradle the contraption and when he was ready would just drop himself on it and the person holding the rear wheel off the ground let it fall to the ground. You would just hold on for dear life as long as possible and then either reach down and flip the off switch on the motor or just crash out! Sometimes I wounder how some of us were able to survive our youth!  
jump9.gif

post_6_84631_TracyGeiger6.jpg

First bike, 2002 Honda VTX 1800 C. Other than the weight, a fairly easy bike to learn on. The first couple months, I killed it a few times turning right when taking off from stop signs. It would come to a rest at about a 45 degree angle against the foot pegs - so probably not the best cornering bike around. I dropped it in a mudhole once, trying a short cut, so not so good off road either. Kinda sad seeing your tires elevated above your windshield, everything covered in mud. Later that same trip I hit a deer at 60 mph, T-boned him straight on, but the bike stayed up and covered the 3000 miles home b4 getting fixed. So, to summarize, little or no off road and cornering capability, but a pretty good platform for hunting.

Traded it for a 2004 BMW 1150 GS Adventure, a bike I truly love. We've visited every continental state and province together, don't plan on ever trading it. Just bought a Gen II busa, for fun. The BMW will still be my traveling bike, but you know, I've just always wanted a busa...

My first bike was a Honda Shadow 750. I've repented since and rode a Yamaha FJ1100 then a Suzuki Bandit 1200S. My hopefully soon to be bike will be a 2005 'busa.
I agree with your choice of bike for your friend (a 750 Katana would do the trick also) I have the same issue with a friend of mine.
argue.gif
Hasn't started riding his 1st bike yet and he's already talking of putting a dynojet kit, K&N filter blah blah blah. Wants more "performance". I told him to ride first and then see and use the $$$ he saves in getting proper riding gear etc. I'm afraid that his ego will get the best of him and he'll end up a statistic.

Back