how many cc's was your 1st motorcycle

I always have contended that dirt bikes give a great foundation for street riding. My 1st was an XR80.

80xr80.JPG

Xr 200 dirtbike with 17 up. It was fast for 2 mths. Then I got a us 426 and it was a thrill. Been through bout 8 bikes in my 5 years.

My first bike was a used '01 Yamaha R1 I bought in October of '05 after taking the MSF class. I put almost 50,000 on it in less than 2 years then I traded it in for my '07 Busa.

well my friend dave came over last night and i had this thread up and ready to go for him, he sat down and read through each and every response, he was still pretty much busa or bust but.........things changed. I said dave your going to do what your going to do and i cant stop you i guess, but let me still try to help you out. I pulled out my gf's daughters honda xr 100 and explained all the controls to him and explained how to shift it(it shifts just like our big bikes)well he sat on it and kind of nervously revved it a little and reluctantly clicked it into 1st gear w/o the clutch in and instantly killed it. Well we got it restarted and he eased the clutch out slowly and finally got it moving and after riding around the back yard in 1st for awhile he almost crashed into the cloths line because he paniced and put his feet down instead of using the brakes. Well he had enough of bike training 101 for the evening but before he left i told him to sit on a big bike for a minute, i pulled out my zx-11 and he sat on it and i told him to go ahead and pull it off the kick stand and just hold it up, he did this and sure enough he said dang this thing weights a ton, and my response to him was the busa weights about the same and after watching you ride the 100 honda is this really what you want to learn on? long story short, he wants an sv 650 or a 250 ninja now THANK GOODNESS!!!!!!..........and more xr-100 lesson's

Dear Friends

I wasn't afraid to push my limits on a dirtbike. I could do controlled slides and wheelie through the gears up through fifth. I was fast off the line and often nailed the holeshot. I went to the Gary Bailey motocross school in Axton, Virginia, where I broke my ankle.

I'm too afraid to try stuff on a streetbike. The consequences could be too severe. I don't know if I'll ever be able to put my knee to the road on purpose.

--Jaddie

well my friend dave came over last night and i had this thread up and ready to go for him, he sat down and read through each and every response, he was still pretty much busa or bust but.........things changed. I said dave your going to do what your going to do and i cant stop you i guess, but let me still try to help you out. I pulled out my gf's daughters honda xr 100 and explained all the controls to him and explained how to shift it(it shifts just like our big bikes)well he sat on it and kind of nervously revved it a little and reluctantly clicked it into 1st gear w/o the clutch in and instantly killed it. Well we got it restarted and he eased the clutch out slowly and finally got it moving and after riding around the back yard in 1st for awhile he almost crashed into the cloths line because he paniced and put his feet down instead of using the brakes. Well he had enough of bike training 101 for the evening but before he left i told him to sit on a big bike for a minute, i pulled out my zx-11 and he sat on it and i told him to go ahead and pull it off the kick stand and just hold it up, he did this and sure enough he said dang this thing weights a ton, and my response to him was the busa weights about the same and after watching you ride the 100 honda is this really what you want to learn on? long story short, he wants an sv 650 or a 250 ninja now THANK GOODNESS!!!!!!..........and more xr-100 lesson's
Good on ya bro, you may have just saved his life.
beerchug.gif

first bike was a 1970 Norton 750 Commando. I would guess most of todays 600 are by far quicker with more power. I look back on how I would ride that thing and wonder why I was not dead!

As far as your friend... yes you saved his life

beerchug.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

tourbus you did what a real friend should do! He had to learn the hard way, but didn't have to pay the high price for the panic moment he would have faced on a bigger bike.

clap.gif

clap.gif

beerchug.gif
I'll tell ya guy's i was really worried about him, he's 35 years old, he has zero motorcycle experiance and he was going to go right out and buy a new busa to start with. I tried and tried to explain that you simply don't get on a big heavy street bike and learn the ropes. Some people may have luck doing that but i know dave and he is a great guy but (sorry to say) his ego and check book are a little to big. Anyhoo i think all is well and appreciate everybody's input on there 1st bike's, i hope other first time rider's will see this too.

ThumbsUp.gif

You may want to consider loaning out that 100cc bike to the next guy that thinks a Busa is a fine first bike...

Your friend will hopefully thank you in earnest some day... (and be able to more importantly)
smile.gif
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

For me it was a '89 Honda VTR 250 streetbike.  You know, the white one with teal stripes and pink lettering.  

Oh I did not just write that did I?

89VTR250.JPG

Remind him to sign up for the MSF course.  It's a lifesaver

First bike was a Kaw. 400. Never rode before (besides mini bikes). Bought it used from the dealer, picked her up rode her home and the rest is history.......

My first dirbike was a Hodaka 125cc and my first street bike was a 1987 CAGIVA ALUZZURA 650SS which I still have. I love the old school bikes. This weekend I just got my 1976 Triumph Bonneville.

Back