How Important Is Your Bike To You?

I work overtime for my retirement NOT my motorcycle.....:whistle: sure I love it and have dumped thousands into it but its a toy. if some of you are working extra jobs to pay for ur toys vs. investing in ur future you need to get ur head screwed on straight and get ur priorities in order.

I work overtime for my retirement NOT my motorcycle.....:whistle: sure I love it and have dumped thousands into it but its a toy. if some of you are working extra jobs to pay for ur toys vs. investing in ur future you need to get ur head screwed on straight and get ur priorities in order.

I would say that's sage advice. However I have worked hard for a long, long time. The Busa was the first thing I can think of that I bought for myself, not for someone else. The closer I get to retirement, the more it looks like they're gonna take it away from me. I hope I'm wrong.

I hear they're looking at my 401K now. Need to look into that one, of course the first wife didn't leave much of that for me :laugh:

I would say that's sage advice. However I have worked hard for a long, long time. The Busa was the first thing I can think of that I bought for myself, not for someone else. The closer I get to retirement, the more it looks like they're gonna take it away from me. I hope I'm wrong.

I hear they're looking at my 401K now. Need to look into that one, of course the first wife didn't leave much of that for me :laugh:
most all the PD's around here are switching over to a 401k vs. pension for newly hired cops. miraculously we just went to our (3) best years for our pension at 50% vs. top step salary at 50%. total game chager for us but I still max out my deferred comp cause im not interested in working when im 60 or 50 for that matter.

most all the PD's around here are switching over to a 401k vs. pension for newly hired cops. miraculously we just went to our (3) best years for our pension at 50% vs. top step salary at 50%. total game chager for us but I still max out my deferred comp cause im not interested in working when im 60 or 50 for that matter.

Just saying I've been in the game a year or two, and the bastids just keep taking the money and changing the rules :banghead:

I loved my bike and told myself I would never sell it.... after seeing the engine on the floor here at the shop and the rolling frame in my garage.... I'm not sure how I feel about it now :banghead:

This is me now. Debated parting it out a selling it more than a few times. Here are engine pics and then a before the nos pic.

IMAG0859.jpg
IMAG0861.jpg
IMAG0862.jpg
prpv-1.jpeg

IMAG0859.jpg

IMAG0861.jpg

IMAG0862.jpg

prpv-1.jpeg

OK LET ME CLEAR THIS UP ONE MORE TIME!!!
I have a good job, 401k and retirement.......THAT BEING SAID

My wife told me I could not have one because she just did not want me to have one.......The only way I could have it and her not be able to say ONE word about it was to make side money that had nothing to do with her......My head is on perfectly straight. I OWN a house, MY TRUCK is paid for, and my bike is close.

My bills are paid and I have no one looking for me. I wanted a bike and the best way I knew to shut my wife up was make extra money.

This is one reason I'm not "buried" (married)..tried that once..ever since my ressurection, I now have (4) bikes, yet only (3) are rideable at the moment.

sounds like your good on the money side but wow!!!!!did you marry your mom and for what reason....h ahahahahaha sorry. but i got 99 problems but a b----h aint one. mine loves bikes and loves it better when we go out together.

I think you guys might be looking at the "toy" thing a little backwards. My parents have a boat and to save them maintenance cost I put in a lot of wrench time. Now a boat has to be one of the most impractical items to own. My dad calls it a hole in the water that he just keeps throwing money into and I must say that is a fair assessment given the lack of monetary return. If we look at the memories and wonderful times this boat has given us, I am not sure I can put a value on that.

I think the "toy" is a means to enjoy your life. By all means invest in your future. Just keep in mind, in the end, no one has regretted time spent away from the job.

Thats the problem, with bikes you either love em, or hate em, and most people just do not get the obsession. My mother would be the last person on earth wanting me on a motorcycle. BUT she has always gotten it, reason being, she is obsessed with horses, so she gets the whole thing. My wife on the other hand, does not get the motorcycle thing, therefore she thinks its a waste of money. She is also one of the most responsable people I have ever met with money, she will save a dime where ever she can. I love her to death and because of her I am 100% more responsible with money.

This thread did not turn out at all the wway I thought it would. I figured it would be a bunch of guys relating to me with the obsession with motorcycles.....Instead I got a bunch of life lessons.......that I am already doing......either way thats the beauty of a forum.....never know what people will say.???

Saw this quote before

If I had all the money I spent on motorcycles...I'de spend it all on motorcycles.:laugh:

I can't disagree.
GOD, family, friends, help others, do what matters in life.
If you're so fortunate as we are to have toys to enjoy, then be grateful and enjoy!:thumbsup:

I would never work a second job just to have a bike, when the hell would you have time to ride it? On the way to the second job?

Well said, IMO you should never finance a toy either. If I can't pay cash for toys, forget it. You are just setting yourself up for failure.

I would never work a second job just to have a bike, when the hell would you have time to ride it? On the way to the second job?

I work the second job tuesday night and thursday night 2 weeks out of the month. It takes me about 2 hours to complete the job. I have plenty of time to ride on weekends. And pretty much any week night if I want to.

Well said, IMO you should never finance a toy either. If I can't pay cash for toys, forget it. You are just setting yourself up for failure.

Like I said before....and before.....and before..... I have savings......enough to pay the bike off and other bills if I had to.......This was only so th wife could not say that I was taking money from the house at all.......

Like I said before....and before.....and before..... I have savings......enough to pay the bike off and other bills if I had to.......This was only so th wife could not say that I was taking money from the house at all.......

mikey,you started a thread about how important is our bike to us and we all giving you our different opinions, so i don't know why you keep saying you have money and savings, no one said you don't...you asked and we are just telling our view of things.. not sure what answers you want to hear from us???

Back