How do you protect yourself

donor

Registered
Just curious i've been hearing a lot about people riding down the street and stopping at a light or sign and having someone come up and knock them off their bike and taking it. Does anyone carry a weapon knife or gun etc to protect themselves from such things? Just curious if i'm putting myself at risk more then others?

I have a CCW and always carry a 357 mag. However, in Missouri you arent allowed to shoot someone to defend property. You can defend yourself though.

I have a CCW and always carry a 357 mag. However, in Missouri you arent allowed to shoot someone to defend property. You can defend yourself though.

oklahoma is the same. i constantly scan my surrounding. if someone tried 2 'knock me off my bike and take it" i would just ride off. i always leave my self an out rather it b a sidewalk spitting cars i always stay in an appropriate gear and prepare myself 2 ride foward if i c somone approaching 2 quikly. as far as protection i carry a pocket knife but i carry it for misc reasons. not so much protection

Just curious i've been hearing a lot about people riding down the street and stopping at a light or sign and having someone come up and knock them off their bike and taking it. Does anyone carry a weapon knife or gun etc to protect themselves from such things? Just curious if i'm putting myself at risk more then others?

That is not a good thought.??? I live in FL, where they invented that sort of thing and often when riding I think about that. I try to be aware of my surroundings at lights etc., but anything can happen. I say, if you gotta reach for something, reach for the throttle and get the hell away from there. If they are knocking you off the bike with their car and then taking it I am guessing those you are reading about must be using a weapon or as they were picking up the bike I can see a face full of riding boots from most Busa owners? I hate thieves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! regardless of what form they come in!:banghead:

Of course if they grab you or shove you, then they ARE attacking you. I really wouldn't wait to find out if they're just shoving me to take my bike before I did anything. I they attack me, then they're:firing: Swiss Cheese :laugh:

Great question, I carry a 16 shot 9mm auto in my tankbag. I strongly suggest you wear full gear, sit on your bike in a closed garage and practice accessing the weapon into a combat response (with gloves on). Also, for example, I am puting my kickstand down while making ready the weapon. This procedure doesn't preclude the option of a burnout to escape either! In one second you gotta weigh the options.

Not to sound too dramatic but remember...."The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war". Raydog

Ruger P90 and a Ka-Bar Fighting Knife when I'm in the DC and PG county MD area.

Great question, I carry a 16 shot 9mm auto in my tankbag. I strongly suggest you wear full gear, sit on your bike in a closed garage and practice accessing the weapon into a combat response (with gloves on). Also, for example, I am puting my kickstand down while making ready the weapon. This procedure doesn't preclude the option of a burnout to escape either! In one second you gotta weigh the options.

Not to sound too dramatic but remember...."The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war". Raydog

Exactly! Access is the key to carrying a weapon for defense. Unloaded and unaccessible, a handgun is nothing more than a paperweight. I've heard of some riders carrying their gun in one saddlebag and ammo in the other. That's only good for campfire/motel settings. Keep an eye on your six and be aware of your surroundings and if you're going to carry, think hard on how you're going to access it for defense. A Herters Western Derringer in .357MAG is a nice two shot self defense weapon that fits in any pocket and is quickly accessible.

Last edited:
Glock 23 is my personal choice for protection. But as has been said, theres no substitute for being aware of your surroundings.

All I can say is be aware of your surroundings. That gun play is your option...
but I know of a few laid to rest with the same mindset, You can call out your
model & caliber all you want but when & if a jacker run's up let's see who's left standing when the smoke clears. Why would you risk over an object?
That's what insurance is for, Just give it up.

All I can say is be aware of your surroundings. That gun play is your option...
but I know of a few laid to rest with the same mindset, You can call out your
model & caliber all you want but when & if a jacker run's up let's see who's left standing when the smoke clears. Why would you risk over an object?
That's what insurance is for, Just give it up.

Couldnt agree with you more on that. If all you want is my bike? sure, take it, i dont give a crap. As you said thats what insurance is for. I definitely dont value my bike more than my life. However, if they want to bring me or my wife (or whoever may be riding with me) personal harm? yeah you bet your A$$ im gonna go down firing.

Under the dangerous pursuits area of my brain is where I store my MMA skills....this is my protection

male_brain.gif

Couldnt agree with you more on that. If all you want is my bike? sure, take it, i dont give a crap. As you said thats what insurance is for. I definitely dont value my bike more than my life. However, if they want to bring me or my wife (or whoever may be riding with me) personal harm? yeah you bet your A$$ im gonna go down firing.

Agree,objects take.... family,friend,etc I ROLL THE DICE!!!

Another thought just came to me....there are 4 possible situations for CCW.
1) You are off duty or retired peace officer and have a 50 state carry card with ID.
2) You are off duty or retired peace officer and are out of state without 50 state carry card.
3) You are citizen with legitimate CCW authorization.
4) You are citizen without CCW authorization.

In all cases, if pulled over, I suggest you tell the officer that you have the piece and where it is. If it's burried in the bottom of a Gold Wing travel trunk...I don't think telling is as important as if you are wearing it! Anyways, this is a meaningful topic and since it sounds like we org people "are heavily armed", we should know what to say to law enforcement if the situation ever arises.
One more quickie (I'm sorry, being retired LEO makes me think of this stuff) if you get involved in a shooting before LE arrives....DECHAMBER YOUR WEAPON AND PUT IT BACK IN THE TANK BAG. If units are arriving, PUT THE WEAPON ON THE GROUND BY YOUR FEET AND GET YOUR HANDS IN THE CLEAR. Not to tell old stories, but it's a big safety move! Raydog

Another thought just came to me....there are 4 possible situations for CCW.
1) You are off duty or retired peace officer and have a 50 state carry card with ID.
2) You are off duty or retired peace officer and are out of state without 50 state carry card.
3) You are citizen with legitimate CCW authorization.
4) You are citizen without CCW authorization.

In all cases, if pulled over, I suggest you tell the officer that you have the piece and where it is. If it's burried in the bottom of a Gold Wing travel trunk...I don't think telling is as important as if you are wearing it! Anyways, this is a meaningful topic and since it sounds like we org people "are heavily armed", we should know what to say to law enforcement if the situation ever arises.
One more quickie (I'm sorry, being retired LEO makes me think of this stuff) if you get involved in a shooting before LE arrives....DECHAMBER YOUR WEAPON AND PUT IT BACK IN THE TANK BAG. If units are arriving, PUT THE WEAPON ON THE GROUND BY YOUR FEET AND GET YOUR HANDS IN THE CLEAR. Not to tell old stories, but it's a big safety move! Raydog

By law (in North Carolina) you have to tell the officer first thing that you have a CCW and whether or not you're holding

My big giant ugly azz protects me from pretty much anyone messing with me :)

if a normal citizen shoots and kills an unarmed man in the street they are probably going to prison. it does not matter if they insulted u, struck you, pushed u, or whatever. if you are sitting on a motorcycle then u just need to take off. keep an out at all times. make sure noone is following u. just try your best to stay out of bad situations. and if you pay x dollars a month for full coverage u may as well use it vs. killing someone trying to ask u directions or whatever

Back