Hearing protection

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
I use hearing protection, either contruction plugs, or a set of hear-o's from the local shop. Both work really well for cutting out noise, but I ride for at least 2 hours a day communiting. And when I get to my destination, my ears still seem to ring and are numb "you know, like after listening to loud music". I can't help but feel like I'm still damaging my hearing. Can prolonged exposure, like 2 hours negate proper hearing protection? What do you guys use?

I was concidering getting custom molded firing plugs at a gun show, but wasn't sure if they were worth it.

yup...you'll suffer some hearing damage in the long run without the plugs.

For myself, I don't use em. Doesn't get too loud in my bucket. The custom molded ones sound a little overboard...mebbe just a quality pair from your Doc should fit the bill.

name your helmet.

construction....fitment....and style all play a part in wind noise.

perhaps an upgrade is in order?

if not, at the very least you should get one of these:
stopwind.jpg

I had a set of customs made at the local Ear Clinic! All I can say is WOW! What a difference... Takes sometime getting use to telling them apart (Left/Right). Plus, when I have them in most people don't even notice I'm wearing plugs! Best $50 I ever spent. Oh yea, now my ears never get sore from wearing hearing protection...

I put a heard set in my helmet and listen to the "Stones" or "Creed" or something like that. Just loud enough to drown out the wind noise, but not so loud that I can't hear traffic around me or the sound of the engine. Makes my ride more enjoyable!

Yup Plugs are important, I find Hero's do a great job...

$5 for 10 pair, white foam from Walgreens. they were not that comfortable at the start but over the years I got used to it. they claim 29db but they are quieter than others I have tried with higher ratings - at least for my head. I can't remember how many different ones I tried before settling on these... it was a lot... maybe all of them

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148414482 -->

Okay I have heard of wearing ear plugs when shooting a gun or in an extremely loud environment but riding?
rock.gif
???

I've found that I relax more and am able to concentrate better when wearing ear plugs. Unless I'm just riding to the local store about 1.5 miles away, I always wear 'em. Besides, younger days of loud music, and lots of gun shots, and ear drum damage have me appreciating what hearing I have left.

Okay I have heard of wearing ear plugs when shooting a gun or in an extremely loud environment but riding?
rock.gif
???
Some folks (like me) believe that the sustained noise frequency of high winds experienced while riding will damage your hearing. There are quite a few article written about it ... just do a search on this forum, any motorcycle forum, or the Internet in general. Here's just one LINK to check out. CLICKY

Dont wear plugs under the lid. Did wear plugs that I got from a Honda shop before I wore a helmet. One more reason to wear a lid eh?

Back