How do you do it and how often?

DeRos

Registered
Just curious how you all go about cleaning your bikes. what products you use and how often you do it.

I use Lemon Pledge. I know this sounds crazy but it works great. I have had several bikes and that’s all I used. It works on plastic, paint, windscreens, rims etc. I would not put it on seat or handgrips, as it can be a little slippery.

Spray on cotton rag. Wipe on. Buff off with cotton cloth. I clean as needed. Usually a couple times a week because I ride to work almost daily.

What!! Clean it!!!
rock.gif
Are you crazy
tounge.gif

Well at least I keep my chain clean
wow.gif

I blow off the dust upon returning from a ride. Clean and lube the chain every 200 - 300 mi. Take to the car wash every so often, but I use Honda spray cleaner and polish to remove dead bugs, road tar and such. Works on glass, plastic, chrome and of course metal.

Power wash it every month or so. I need to get myself a leaf blower to dry it off. Chain lubed eery 500 miles, cleaned with kerosine and lubed every 1000 miles.

I never wash my bikes. I use detaling spray to clean clean painted surfaces and then wax. A California duster keeps the dust off.
I use a steam cleaner on the wheels, swingarm, frame and all hard to reach places. It melts away brake dust, grease and grime like you wouldn't believe. For really subborn stains on the rough portions of the frame I use WD40.

steam2.jpg

I use a wet rag and swap the whole thing down and then wipe it off after every ride. Get the bugs off and the road dust as well.

I never wash my bikes. I use detaling spray to clean clean painted surfaces and then wax. A California duster keeps the dust off.
I use a steam cleaner on the wheels, swingarm, frame and all hard to reach places. It melts away brake dust, grease and grime like you wouldn't believe. For really subborn stains on the rough portions of the frame I use WD40.

Steam cleaner? Do you mean for carpets.

<!--EDIT|memorex
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147152401 -->

You mean these are for the road and not to just sit and admire in my living room.......
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Wash with car soap and use the leaf blower to dry. Blows all the water out of the tiny spaces and leaves no water spots. I have been using the HONDA Cleaner/Wax, but it's no longer available in New York State (something about pollution???). Anyways my bike guy suggested this stuff called "Spectro Spray and Polish". Seems to work pretty good. I use PLEXUS on my windscreen and face shield. I try to get the bug guts off after everyride--that way they don't "bake" on.

I ride Mine often so I get lots of bugs and such but I can't stand looking at her dirty so she gets cleaned 2-3 times a week waxing is usually included in that, chain lube about every 300-500 miles, clean chain with WD-40 and soft bristle brush about every 3 wks to a month, Oil change I'm doing about every 2500 miles in fact this weekend is the complete deal everything mentioned above on Saturday
biggrin.gif

I clean it after every ride with any good polish (helps keep the bug guts off) and wipe off all the rubber and seat with a leather/rubber cleaner. Other than that, a good cleaning every 500 miles with the chain if I'am home, or a GREAT CLEANING when I return from a road trip
tounge.gif
I always like to look good, you never know, clean bikes get less tickets than Grimmie Biks
laugh.gif

I never wash my bikes.  I use detaling spray to clean clean painted surfaces and then wax.  A California duster keeps the dust off.
I use a steam cleaner on the wheels, swingarm, frame and all hard to reach places.  It melts away brake dust, grease and grime like you wouldn't believe.  For really subborn stains on the rough portions of the frame I use WD40.

Steam cleaner?  Do you mean for  carpets.
No, just a Scunci steamer which you can pick up at places like Target for under $40 bucks. Does an awesome job without having to get out an old toothbrush cleaning chemicals. Blast something like a caliper and the gold finish looks like new in seconds.

It also works good at taking spots out of carpet.
smile.gif

Here's a better view:

steam1.jpg

Clean mine once a year whether it needs it or not...
biggrin.gif

Rains so much it's impossible to keep clean..
sad.gif

I plan on washer mine with a power washer (lower setting) and car wash soap atleast once a week when I ride it a lot in the summer....I plan on waxing it once a month...I will probably use a steam srayer just like turbo for the tough spots. will use a leaf blower and microfiber clothes to dry off. I will most likely just start with zaino waxes. Will use tire shine (for what side walls we have...) and leather wipes for the seats. after I wash it I will use a spray detailer (it helps reduce how much dust is attracted to it)...Hope this helps!

Detail with Mother's Showtime either before or after each ride. Regular wax every month.

Chain gets kerosene brushing and Maxima wax every 600 or so miles. I like her clean.

Bash_049.jpg

Windex with a paper towel after every ride to get the bugs off. GelGloss for the wind shield and meguires gold class wax for the body and tank.

Steam cleaner? Do you mean for carpets.
No, just a Scunci steamer which you can pick up at places like Target for under $40 bucks. Does an awesome job without having to get out an old toothbrush cleaning chemicals. Blast something like a caliper and the gold finish looks like new in seconds.

It also works good at taking spots out of carpet.
smile.gif

Here's a better view:

steam1.jpg
Thanks for the Info.

Are there any special tools for cleaning the chain? And should you take it off to clean it?

Back