how can i tell if the chain is jumping?

ogre

Call me Liberace!
Registered
any marks that are clearly indicative of the chain jumping under load? i've only noticed it in second, but i rarely (basically never) take 3rd WOT to redline, and 1st has less load. i'm hoping it's the chain jumping, rather than the gear jumping out and back in.

Are you hearing/Feeling something? What about adjustment?

Check your chain it should have no more than 1" up or down play in it. or so I have been told. Or is the chain sagging if it is then there is your problem.

i have never heard of marks being made on a chain or sprocket from it 'jumping off' but i have heard tons of problems with second gear and the busa
someone smarter than me will chime in soon

i suppose this is dangerous but maybe a friend could ride just behind you (and left) to watch and listen while u try to replicate the problem.

Unless your sprocket is worn down to nubs, it's your 2nd gear skipping a tooth. Bent shifting fork most likely the problem.

I would definetly take a look at your sprockets first. The only time I have heard of the chain jumping is when there is some pretty bad damage to the sprocket. Look for missing/broken teet, teeth that are rounded off, or teeth that have severe gouges in them.

I can tell you from a drag racing standpoint if the chain is loose it will jump a tooth and you will feel a pretty decent buck when it does, not to mention it makes a very discomforting noise. Under normal riding conditions this same loose chain will not even be noticeable.

Unless your sprocket is worn down to nubs, it's your 2nd gear skipping a tooth. Bent shifting fork most likely the problem.
i was hoping it was the chain and sprocket actually. but i think you're right

I can tell you from a drag racing standpoint if the chain is loose it will jump a tooth and you will feel a pretty decent buck when it does, not to mention it makes a very discomforting noise. Under normal riding conditions this same loose chain will not even be noticeable.

full tilt in SECOND is the only time i noticed it. i was hoping it'd be something simple like a sprocket/chain issue. there's less than a half an inch of play in my chain. just readjusted it after i lowered the bike in fact. o well, guess i'll start saving and just take it easy for awhile.

Back