Need help, tach surges

Dan

Married to HRH Grammy
Donating Member
Registered
I have a 2006 that just this morning learned a new trick. As I was pulling out of the driveway my tach jumps from 4.5k to 13k and then bounces back and forth from 0-13k a couple times. It also did this in second gear. The entire time, the motor is running fine, nothing to indicate there is a problem. I pulled over, turned the bike off for a minute then started it back up with no problems.

On the way home from work I noticed that at in 1st and 2nd gear it would surge slightly between 4k-5k but nothin drastic like what I say earlier in the day. The motor never surged, just the tach. Any ideas?

Alot of times, when the crank position sensor is about to go, it will cause the tach to jump around. I know it does it on cars, but not sure about the bikes.

Dan, pull the cluster and reseat the connector; clean it witrh contact cleaner if you have any. Also, off of the ECU there is a tack signal wire - I can't remember if it green or white - check and see if that is shorted at all...

Does it do it at idle at all?

Check the connector at the back of the cluster, also check all of your grounds :thumbsup:

Back