Idle Surge - TRE - Speedohealer

isiahstites

Registered
Ok - I have read lots of surging problems here and was hopig for a little more input.

I have an 05' that is stock, it has a GiPro ATRE and Speedohealer. I bought the bike two months ago and it idled high from the day I bought it. I turned the idle down and the TRE off by programming ot with the (-) instead of 4,5 or 6, it seemed to be better. At stop lights in neutral sometimes the idle has a mind of it's own. In gear with the clutch pulled in the idle has a mind of it's own.

Recently I had to dis-connect the power to the GiPro which lost its 1-6 gear indication. Now the thing is all over the place, tried to re-program the gears and it would only let me do 1-3 so I disconnect the power to the GiPro. This changed how the idle acts, no at stop lights if I am in neutral it jumps up to almost 2k if I pull the clutch in it drops down to about 1500, if I put it in gear it drops down to normal idle.

So, I plan on disconnecting the GiPro completely and see where that gets me, if that doesn't fix the problem I will be looking for vaccum leaks and a TB sync.

Anything else?

I think i have a simular problem:

when the engines cold it idles fine.. but soon as it heats up to just above normal when i'm stuck in traffic it idles high from 1200 to 2000. I also noticed it when I was riding through montana and the mountains.. I know that it runs richer while in higher elevations but shouldn't the ECU account for that and adjust the air/fuel mix?

Oh, just to add.. i have a PCIII and a ATRE. not sure if that is the problem, it just started doing it about 5 months ago.

when the engines cold it idles fine.. but soon as it heats up to just above normal when i'm stuck in traffic it idles high from 1200 to 2000. I also noticed it when I was riding through montana and the mountains.. I know that it runs richer while in higher elevations but shouldn't the ECU account for that and adjust the air/fuel mix?

I fixed mine and then it started again. First thing I would do is disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if that solves the problem. I am still troubleshooting mine as I have gotten it to stop for the second time and I think the common denominator was resetting the ECU.

I am still working on it..........ATRE could be your issue, mines disconnected until I find the actual problem.

Scott

How many miles on the bike ? Mine does that also, and I was told to synch. the throttle bodies. Funny thing is it only does it once, and a while now ?

my stock 2007 did it every time at a red light if I was there to lomg from idle to about 2k for a second

Keep in mind that PC changes the idle based on the signal from the clutch switch. When you pull the clutch in, it seems to set the idle to around 1300 IIRC. So, if let's say you idel at 1000 and pull the clutch in, it will change to 1300. If you set the idle too high, let's say 1800, when you pull the clutch in, it will also set it to 1300. So, if you are stuck in traffic and pull/release the clutch often, it would appear as if the idle goes back and forth.

Another thought: if your TPS is off, the idle will be crappy overall no matter what. Switch to dealer mode, and make sure the dash is in the middle - not on top and not on the bottom.

As to the elevation changes, I think MAP sensor would let the ECU know, and it will adjust accordingly. But again, if your TPS is off, the crappy idle might get worse at higher altitude.

Keep in mind that PC changes the idle based on the signal from the clutch switch. When you pull the clutch in, it seems to set the idle to around 1300 IIRC. So, if let's say you idel at 1000 and pull the clutch in, it will change to 1300. If you set the idle too high, let's say 1800, when you pull the clutch in, it will also set it to 1300. So, if you are stuck in traffic and pull/release the clutch often, it would appear as if the idle goes back and forth.

Another thought: if your TPS is off, the idle will be crappy overall no matter what. Switch to dealer mode, and make sure the dash is in the middle - not on top and not on the bottom.

As to the elevation changes, I think MAP sensor would let the ECU know, and it will adjust accordingly. But again, if your TPS is off, the crappy idle might get worse at higher altitude.

Will verify the TPS using dealer mode.. The bike has 65k miles on it now, i have sync'd the tb's before at about 35k. What about the signals coming from the O2 sensor? Also, it doesn't do it until its either hot (stuck in traffic) or high altitude. it is an erratic idle, it doesn't go up to 2k and stay there.. goes up and down. Also clutch is out and in neutral.

any thoughts johnny????

I just did the tps using dealer mode and it did register with the bar at the top.. unfortunately, i don't have a torx bit to loosen up the tps to adjust it yet. I will be tracking one down.

Completed tps adjustment.
Well it did not idle up to 2k.. but will test that later this weekend to make sure.

Back