How bad is 16/42 gearing on the highway?

The Big Red One

Registered
Hey guys I live about 4500ft up, and am tired of always twisting the throttle and wanting more
sad.gif
I have 16/40 gearing right now, which is okay on a cold night.....but for the most part of here I just need more power. Is the 16/42 going to be decent for the highway or is it going to buzz me silly? And how much worse will my mileage be? I already have race cans/pc/filter on the bike and get mid 30's and up depending on how I drive.....just wondering how much bigger the trade-offs going to be running the 16/42?
tounge.gif

Gen I or GenII ?? Either way I think you'll be fine. Should be a noticeable difference in power with out winding out. You just might have to use 6th gear a little more often.

I run 16/42 gearing and it works great. Bike will still go 180mph in 6th. And it gets there quick...I have a few mods and get 33 mpg combined.

16/42 here as well. Actual top speed is 173 in 6th when it hits the limiter (restricted) Verified w/ GPS and calibrated speedohealer - plenty fast for street or track. I still get 42 MPG when cruising 65 MPH on the freeway, 35 when all around riding and we won't even discuss MPG at track days LOL!.

The RPMs are 4K at 64 MPH. 5 K is somewhere between 75-80. The Busa is a bit buzzy at 5200 RPM's which is somewhere near 80+ MPH so that's not a pleasant speed to stay at.

Just Do It...you'll like it  
thumb_up.gif
I'm getting that distinct impression
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
winkold.gif

If I was at sea level, or closer to it, I'm sure my current set-up would be just fine for me......but at 4500ft and up power really goes bye bye
sad.gif
You'd be shocked at how much power you lose
wowold.gif

It sounds like so far most everybody's liking the 16/42 set-up alot
winkold.gif
I was a little leery about going down that much....but it looks like I need to try it
thumb_up.gif

laugh.gif

winkold.gif

thumb_up.gif

16/42 here as well.  Actual top speed is 173 in 6th when it hits the limiter (restricted) Verified w/ GPS and calibrated speedohealer - plenty fast for street or track.  I still get 42 MPG when cruising 65 MPH on the freeway, 35 when all around riding and we won't even discuss MPG at track days  LOL!.

The RPMs are 4K at 64 MPH. 5 K is somewhere between 75-80.  The Busa is a bit buzzy at 5200 RPM's which is somewhere near 80+ MPH so that's not a pleasant speed to stay at.
I guess I will add that mine has a GPS calibrated speedo healer on it. So it is actual mph as well. Mine is de-restricted...

I have 17/43 now. Speedo error was 13.7%

Gas Mileage went down from 49MPG to 43MPG om Highway, Great for the twisties, not so for cruising.

16/42 here as well.  Actual top speed is 173 in 6th when it hits the limiter (restricted) Verified w/ GPS and calibrated speedohealer - plenty fast for street or track.  I still get 42 MPG when cruising 65 MPH on the freeway, 35 when all around riding and we won't even discuss MPG at track days  LOL!.

The RPMs are 4K at 64 MPH. 5 K is somewhere between 75-80.  The Busa is a bit buzzy at 5200 RPM's which is somewhere near 80+ MPH so that's not a pleasant speed to stay at.
Correct.....

Back