16/42 gearing...

OZZY

DOIN' WORK...
Donating Member
Registered
so im looking into replacing the sprockets. my riding style is mostly twisties, occassional power wheelies, and the occassional high speed runs on the highway or back roads. it prolly wont see the strip. ive done alot of searchin and read alot of posts and it seems that everyone goes more towards the drag perspective. im curious to know how this set up will handle on the twisties since i dont wanna power hard out of a corner and wheelie into a ditch...
wow.gif

is 16/42 gonna be ok or should i look into something else like a 17/42?

any and all suggestions pertaining to my riding style are needed here!!!

ps.... i think im gonna go with either PBI or Vortex steel sprockets.

TIA!!!

I have 17/43 and found myself nearly going into a wheelie while leaned over coming out of twistie a few times, not as bad in 2d gear though. I'd say my riding preferences are similar to yours and the 43 is a damn nice wake-up cal for this type of riding. GL.

Charlie

I like my stock gearing. I also do the same kind of riding as you, and I get out of the corners as fast as possible. I didn't want to lose my top end either. With stock gearing I'm able to spin my back tire coming out of corners wihtout much effort. Just pratice on your entry speed.
super.gif

I have the 16/40 gearing, and ride the twisties as well.  

Throttle control is real important on 1st gear corner exits.  Your tire choice is also going to be a factor.  

I am running the PP 2CT's, and the grip is awesome, but the front end gets light, so you have to chop the throttle.

The stock OE Bridgestones sucked, and I frequently spun-up the rear tire, or power slided.

I too have been thinking about this 16/42 combination for awhile now. I like going to the mountains, Deals Gap... places like that and I've got a 16t and a 42t coming from streetntrack. One of the problems I have is that to get to the mountains is anywhere from 80 to 100 miles of interstate high speed cruising. I've read ever single article I could get my hands on and I still don't know what to do. I have stock on the bike right now and I could just put the 42t on the rear and leave the front alone. Or I could leave the rear alone and go 16 on the front. Or I could go 16/42 period. Decisions, decisions, decisions....... I don't give a crap about "top speed" (as long as she'll hit 160 or so), but I DO care about 100 miles of high RPM buzzing just to get there. What to do?
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

I think if you spent most of your time in the twisty stuff you would like 16/42.The first time I went to the Dragon I had that gear and it was Ok but where I ride most of the time is on the Hiway and it puts the RPM at 65 -70 MPH right where there is alot of buzz in the bars and pegs so I went back to 16/40. The zip that 16/42 gives ya is great.

Back