Hot start solution

the bad start issue is not only when hot , the new gen 3 2022 models have been updated to cure this issue. it didnt solve the problem on my last 2022 gen 3 did it the first day, if the bike was warm and shut it off with the kill switch, it would do it most times i found if i stalled the bike when warmed up it also did it most times

Pulling the throttle does not relieve compression from the valves unless a compression release system was engineered for the new bike, but also those are also automated via the cam or such.

A rich mixture ignites easier for a cold engine. Pulling the throttle allows more air in for a leaner start than the stupid ECU otherwise knows what to do when hot. That is the purpose of opening the throttle for hot starts.

I do not think that if he pulled the throttle at the very beginning that the bike would have started. Why? Because my 2017 acts exactly like this, and holding the throttle has zero effect.

The initial spin may have reset a sensor, or it painfully spun it just past top dead center and so the starter went from fighting the compression to working with the expansion.

Why does my VFR never, ever do this? Is it merely one point in excess compression in the Hayabusa? But you guys with race replicas do not have this issue, right?

I have a brand new 2023 Gen 3. On the way home from the dealership, picked it up with zero miles, I saw a Biker on the side of the road and whipped around to check on him. He was fine. 16 or 17 miles on the bike and it did this. This was this past Saturday. It now has ~150 miles on it and has done it a couple of times. So either they didn't fix it or mine didn't get updated. Any ideas?

My 2022 did this when I left the dealer brand new, I pulled over with about 15 miles on the bike to call my wife and when I went to restart it kicked back on the starter so let off the button and repressed the second time and it started fine, I was unaware at that time of the start issue people were having, it’s happened one more time when I stalled at a stop sign, it started fine on the second try.

Ive only had it once and that was back in the spring. Stalled bike on a hill due to the hill assist. I turned that off and havent stalled since.

I rode yesterday and two minutes in I stopped to get a billion dollar lottery ticket (well it actually cost two dollars.) The bike started immediately. I rode for about ten minutes then stopped to take photos for the "Who Rode" thread. Usually I leave the bike running but it was early in the ride and I figured that since the bike was nowhere near radiating heat like at the end of the ride, that I had a great chance. I took photos for a couple of minutes. I turned it over and it cranked extremely weakly and would not start. I pulled the throttle open and boom, it fired immediately. That worked this time.

It is mind boggling.

I wonder whar the oldest report of this happening on a gen2 is?
I never even heard of it as a gen2 issue until the gen3's started doing it.
I owned a gen2 for almost 4 years, and must have ridden a dozen others, some many times, and I never had it happen.

I wonder whar the oldest report of this happening on a gen2 is?
I owned a gen2 for almost 4 years, and must have ridden a dozen others, some many times, and I never had it happen.
I had it happen a couple times and just figured the battery needed changing...I might have been correct as I changed it and never had it happen again....(knock on wood)

I had it happen a couple times and just figured the battery needed changing...I might have been correct as I changed it and never had it happen again....(knock on wood)

My battery is brand new this season. I filled it myself so it was not sitting on a shelf.

I do not know what to think.

My battery is brand new this season. I filled it myself so it was not sitting on a shelf.

I do not know what to think.
I put in a brand new yuasa at the beginning of the season and had some issues with the bike not wanting to start properly and I recognized it as the same issue I'd had with a bad battery. The battery charged and was never dead and would pass a load test but still had a bad cell. Replaced it with another new yuasa and started fine since. My point in all that is occasionally you do get a bad battery thats brand new,also I would make sure to have an agm battery in the busa versus one you have to fill. I didn't really realize how much vibration the bike does have until it damaged the camera on my last 2 phones and vibration can damage a battery like that that's why they suggest agm for powersports. Not to say that's your issue just kind of thinking out loud.

Now I think Yuasa batteries are very borderline. We installed a new Yuasa battery in my father's Fireblade last year because the original battery was defective after 3 years. From then on there were constant starting problems with the Honda, at the gas station it would not start properly after filling up, but it never seemed to be empty when you put it on the charger at home.

Everything was fine on the bike, neither the alternator nor its regulator were/are defective.

We gave the battery back to the dealer, got a new Yuasa, it worked for a whole 6 months without any problems, then the same crap as before.

Even acquaintances from the motorcycle forum have to struggle with new defective batteries or batteries from Yuasa that have a very short lifespan. I'm starting to see a pattern here...

Now I think Yuasa batteries are very borderline. We installed a new Yuasa battery in my father's Fireblade last year because the original battery was defective after 3 years. From then on there were constant starting problems with the Honda, at the gas station it would not start properly after filling up, but it never seemed to be empty when you put it on the charger at home.

Everything was fine on the bike, neither the alternator nor its regulator were/are defective.

We gave the battery back to the dealer, got a new Yuasa, it worked for a whole 6 months without any problems, then the same crap as before.

Even acquaintances from the motorcycle forum have to struggle with new defective batteries or batteries from Yuasa that have a very short lifespan. I'm starting to see a pattern here...
I bought a Yuasa 3 yrs ago and it works perfectly other than the fact it has a "made in China" label on it...

That might explain your bad luck as "quality assurance" is just two words to them.

Back