Horn blows while riding.orn

Wayneswa

Registered
When I get up to speed (60-and on), The horn intermittently blows on and off. Sounds like the wind is doing this to the horn. The horn works fine when you hit the button. And it doesn't happen below 60 or 70. I traced the wires and found no chaffing or frays. I disconnected the horn and cleaned the plug with contact cleaner. Tried adjusting the adjustment screw on the horn itself.
Any suggestions? This thing is driving me nuts. I'm about to just disconnect it, but I use the thing when traffic isn't paying attention. (which is all the time).
Wayne

Is the horn bolted down all the way? Might be getting some connections from wind pushing against it? Other than that strange idea I have nothing.

laugh.gif
Dude your Busa BLOWS!!!

OK sorry... Couldn't help it.

It's that new government-mandated feature that (a) warns you that you are going too fast and (b) warns others that you are approaching - a bit like the guy who used to walk in front of vintage cars with a red flag.

tounge.gif

laugh.gif
Oh damn, dude! Sorry...I just had to chuckle at that one.

I can just picture you....cruising down the highway and then:

HOOOOONNNNNKKKK.........................HHHHOOOOOOONNNNNKKKK........HHHOOOOOONNNKKKK!!!

I would love to see the faces of the cagers as you pass them honkin.
laugh.gif
Oh boy...good one! But naw, man. I really don't know what on earth could be causing that. Very interesting problem indeed.
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Assuming this post is not taking the piss (sorry waynesw), after squinting at the wire diag for a bit I came up with the following.

The horn is wired hot. That is, its earth switched.

There is no horn relay like in a car, less to go wrong.

The switched earth comes off the common earth rail from the headlight, instruments ect.

Assuming there are no obvious shorts, the only way I can see that the horn could activate is a faulty horn switch or a stray earth in the one multi plug from the horn switch to the main harness. there really is bugger all to the circuit.

Lets face it. No one likes a faulty horn!
tounge.gif

Cheers
Ross

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Has to be a goverment regulation for the busa. To fast, and the horn goes off...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I'm willing to bet that it's caused when you swivel your head doing a shoulder check... It's the sound of the Air whistling through your Skull...
wow.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Unless you also have an alarm system hooked up...? I think it was Diesel I was riding with and his horn kept going off every now and then~ Drove me nuts.. I kept thinkin he was try to tell me something~ So I had to ask about it.. his alarm was set too sensitive, or something, and it kept causing the horn to blow every so often~ Could be something to think about..
rock.gif

Unless you also have an alarm system hooked up...? I think it was Diesel I was riding with and his horn kept going off every now and then~ Drove me nuts.. I kept thinkin he was try to tell me something~ So I had to ask about it.. his alarm was set too sensitive, or something, and it kept causing the horn to blow every so often~ Could be something to think about..
rock.gif
I think it occured when he braked hard. On the way to Daytona he made a sudden stop next to me at a light blowing his horn and I couldn't figure out why.
jump9.gif

[ "When I get up to speed (60-and on), The horn intermittently blows on and off. Sounds like the wind is doing this to the horn.' ]

Disconnect and ride a bit ... wind or electrical contact...

are you sure its your horn and not the guy behind you on a blk and purple busa trying to get you to move over.

[ "When I get up to speed (60-and on), The horn intermittently blows on and off. Sounds like the wind is doing this to the horn.' ]

Disconnect and ride a bit ... wind or electrical contact...
I disconnected it and have been riding since last week and no problems. I took the forward fairing off and traced the wires. No breaks anywhere. Next I'm going to try another horn and see if it's just the horn.

Back