Air horn relay wiring help.

thepushercg

veni vidi vici
Donating Member
Registered
i have looked back in the archives, found ices right up, but still does not answer what i need., i have the fiamm horns, followed there wiring diagram for the relay, all she does is blow when i hook the juice from the battery to 86 and 30
i have 87 to the + of compressor 85 to the + horn button.
compressor and horn negative are ground.

i know its a simple wiring problem, but i am a bit lost.
can any one tell me how they wired there relay up, from what wire to where on the relay ?

Double check your positive and negative leads.  If they are reversed (I did it) it will "blow".  
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|BiG-T
Reason for Edit: "I stuttered"|1153880475 -->

that is a good possibilty, i might have them backwards on the compressor, thanks big t for the heads up.

Heres a email from Ice. I had him email me the way he hooked up his horns and i followed them and to this day there are no problems.

The stock horn is located between the front forks by the radiator. The orange wire should be the pos wire.

You will need to hook up a relay to the air horn compressor.

So basically you will need to run a wire from the positive side of the battery all the way up to the nose section. This wire will add power to the relay and help take some of the load off your factory wiring. Doing this will thank me in the long run.

the relay has four outer connections on it. Holding it so the top is pin 87.

you would connect the wire ran all the way from the battery to the bottom of the relay to pin 30. You will connect the top of the relay pin 87 to the pos connection on the air compressor. You will connect the pos wire from the bike that was plugged into the stock horn, plug that into pin 86 on the side. Plug the ground wire from the stock horn wire (only wire left) to the other side of the relay pin 85. That covers all four connections needed on the relay. That covers the two stock horn wires. Only thing left is the neg contact on the air horn compressor. Run a wire from the neg contact on the compressor to a large bolt on the frame which will ground the compressor.

Thats it. push stock horn button which will send the signal down the stock horn neg wire to the relay energizing the relay. When the relay turns on it will pull power off the wire from the battery at pin 30 and allow it to flow out of the top pin 87 to the compressor and turn it on. Since it's grounded to the frame the horns will blow loudly.

Hope that helps.

JD

I just did this to Midnight a couple weeks ago and hoked it up the same way you describe. However, it did not work until I put a fused relay between the battery and the horn relay.

i will try both of these sugestions this evening , ice's wiring of the relay is different from what i did, i will change my wiring to that.

Back