Homemade Rear Deck/Rack For Touring - Show & Tell

Trout

Registered
My preference for luggage on multi-day trips has always been a dry bag strapped to the tail plus a tank bag up front. I needed a deck for the back so I could bring my wife on a trip and still have room for the dry bag. I know that there are a few offerings out there, but they are expensive and some seem limited in their usefulness. I made this from spare pieces I had in my pile. The only cash outlay so far was for the pair of 3/8" nuts I used as spacers. They cost 12 cents.

I'm not finished, so you just need to imagine what it will look like with black paint on the frame. I'll leave the deck unfinished.

Materials, in case you care:

Frame: 3/8" square cold rolled steel
Ears: 3/16" steel plate
Lower Deck: 1/16" steel
Upper Deck: 1/8" aluminum

I made the ears and bolted them on. Then I used a piece of gas welding rod and bent it to the shape I needed for the frame. I used the bent rod as a guide to bend the 3/8" square frame to the correct shape. I welded the ears on, then used a protractor to figure the angle I needed to make the deck sit nearly level. I used some smaller pieces of 3/8" stock as pillars to get the lower deck to the correct angle. The lower deck was then welded in place and the upper deck was bolted to it.

It turns out that 3/8" nuts were the right size to use as spacers on the front mounting holes. I didn't want to cut 7/8" holes in my ears and try to use the mounting method of the grab rail... mostly because I didn't have any plate that was the same thickness as the grab bar ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make the deck out of tube members so you can hook bunges to it, clean up the welds some and that's a million dallor idea! Good job:thumbsup:

Looks Great.

I like the swirl job you did on your license plate too. Liquify in PS, right :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now if only I had a welder :please:

Make the deck out of tube members so you can hook bunges to it, clean up the welds some and that's a million dallor idea! Good job:thumbsup:

I quit using bungees years ago... right after that big load fell off my bike. I may still drill some rows of holes in the deck, just for variety.

Now if only I had a welder :please:

It's funny... before I had a welder, I didn't think I'd ever use one. I got a big used package deal on a wire feed, a gas setup, a big horizontal band saw, and a pile of metal. It's kept me happy making little doodads for years.

That looks great. I bet you could sell a few of those. I would prolly be interested in getting one if the price was decent.

Thats a slick setup!! As a welder i love seeing guys fabricating they're own ideas rather than shelling out the money for something!!

For the first time since I've had the Busa I'm 2 up, and wanting to do some traveling. I'm going to have to raid the scrap bin at the shop and whip up something along this line. That is a great design you have there, think I'll copy it to some extent.:laugh:

Looks great! I did something similar and added a backrest for the passenger. They work GREAT!!

IMAG0082.jpg

SSPX0022.jpg

Back