Rear rack opinions...

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
Okay, so here is the deal. I've posted other threads about this, but none this specific. I have a T-bag setup left over from my cruiser days. I want to make a mount for it using a rear rack setup. I'm torn between the Renntec one and the SW Motech one. I'm concerned about weight capacities..
This is the bag I want to use (so please don't try to talk me into the Ventura Rack as the rack won't work with my bag, and I'm not buying another bag)
IMAG0083.jpg

This is the SW Motech one:
9394-425x350.jpg

This is the Renntec one:
464ae60e-9a3e-96d9.jpg

Here's another pic of the Renntec courtesy of Sannosuke:
212196d1298257657-luggage-rack-200-busa-img_0682.jpg

I figured I would fabricate a "backrest" style bar that would hold the bag on since the bag is really designed to be slid over a backrest. My fabrication would wind up looking similar to the bars on the Ventura racks, but would just be closer together, and mount to the rack itself. I have a pretty good mental picture of the bar idea I have, but have no way of showing my idea to you guys unless you can read minds... :D

The Renntec appears to have better options for tying the bag down, but it also requires the grab bar be used, and that will make it more difficult creating the "backrest" bar.

The SW Motech one definitely looks better (cleaner) in my opinion, but it is only rated at like 15-20lbs which seems pretty week.
Has anyone ever weighed their Ventura pack when its fully loaded? Both of these racks seem superior in strength to the Ventura rack (the rack itself) and I've seen pics of these bags loaded to the gills. These HAVE to weigh more than 20lbs, right??

I'm really looking for your opinions since I will be ordering one of these within the next week. Spring is coming to Wisconsin, and I need to be ready for some riding!!

How about then Ventura setup? :poke:
I like the Rentec one better, the motec looked like it would.only hold 20lbs.
Maybe you can fab up a Ventura style rack on the grab rail to work with the Rentec rack? Hang a back pack on the front resting on the passenger seat?
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

I've got an idea I've kicked around for 2 years. Only if you ride solo, won't work if you want to go two up.

How about then Ventura setup? :poke:
I like the Rentec one better, the motec looked like it would.only hold 20lbs.
Maybe you can fab up a Ventura style rack on the grab rail to work with the Rentec rack? Hang a back pack on the front resting on the passenger seat?
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

This thought had crossed my mind for sure..

I've got an idea I've kicked around for 2 years. Only if you ride solo, won't work if you want to go two up.

Mind sharing your "idea"???

IMO, just bite the bullet and get a Ventura system. They are awesome. You should be able to find one on eBay.

IMO, just bite the bullet and get a Ventura system. They are awesome. You should be able to find one on eBay.

There is no advantage to me getting the Ventura. I already have a bag with as much or more capacity, all I need is a rack. The Ventura rack system itself is hideous to me, and the price of it is just ridiculous. There is WAY more material costs, etc in the SW Motech rack for half the price. I have issues with that.

Back