Anyone know anything about deck building?

ibified

Registered
Okay, so im getting ready to add on to the deck I built last year, and I have an immediate question that I need some help with.

The deck goes around a bump out on the house. The bump out is approximately 8'3" wide and bumps out from the house approximately 3 feet. Where the deck goes past the existing bump, I plan to attach it to the house with a ledger. The new section of deck is going to be approximately 20 ft long and will extend about 15 ft out from the house, and about 12 feet out from the bump out.

The deck I built last summer is butted up to one side of the bump out, but is not attached to it. The last joist on the existing deck runs right next to it, and is secured to the house by a ledger. Also, this part of the deck is going to be elevated about 8 inches over the existing deck, for a nice "step up" type thing.

Now for my question: whats the best way to do this? I was considering doing two beams under the joists that were secured to 4x4 posts set in the ground with concrete, so that the joists on the new section of deck are parallell to the house, and perpendicular to the joists on the existing deck. I understand that you can also run a cross beam between two joists which are attached to the ledger by doubling them up (with the double beam being up against the bump out, but not attached to the house in any way) but don't really know if this is the way I want to go with this, as it adds a lot of difficulty in figuring loads. I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to do a combination of these two, meaning that I would use a beam across the two joists where the bumpout is as well as support this beam (or beams) with the 4x4 supports underneath set in concrete.

Any suggestions that anyone with some expertise can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

100_0674.jpg

To clarify, this is a picture of the bump out im talking about. The cement patio in the picture is where the existing deck sits, with the last joist running right next to the bump out.

100_0756.jpg

Thats the existing deck. unfortunately, you cant see where it butts up against the bump out in the picture. but it gives an idea.

Thanks again for the help.

100_0674.jpg

100_0756.jpg

I would say set your supports along the house side parallel and even with the pop out. Then "float" decking back in towards the house and use a kicker board attached to the house.

View attachment 140515

To clarify, this is a picture of the bump out im talking about. The cement patio in the picture is where the existing deck sits, with the last joist running right next to the bump out.

View attachment 140516

Thats the existing deck. unfortunately, you cant see where it butts up against the bump out in the picture. but it gives an idea.

Thanks again for the help.
Attach a 2 x 8 / 2 x 6 to the existing end of the deck, place a post at that location and continue the beam supporting your deck joists. Attach a double 2 X ledger to the bump out and continue building your deck the way you have already built the other. I would recommend installing some bent metal flashing on top of the ledger yet underneath your decking to keep water from laying against your house. Make up a sketch (drawing) of what you plan to do.

Well the problem is that i dont think code will let me attach anything to the bump out part, since there's no foundation under it for support.

I like to keep things independently supported, away from the house. In other words, build the new deck without attaching to the bump out. If it's it's own structure, you don't have to worry about anything messing up your house.

Of course, that's partly because I'm not a contractor and I really don't know HOW to attach to existing structure! :laugh: Still, to me, there seems to be some inherent logic on making the new add-on into it's own, self-contained, self-supported structure.

Keep us posted, with pics.

--Wag--

I used to build decks for a living as a kid...20,21yrs old....if you attach it to the house it is considered a "perminent structure" and you will need a permit and inspections for any of the work $$$
If you wont be attaching it to the house foundation I personally wouldnt use 4x4's,use 6x6's minimum for your footers and 2x12's for your stringers,bolt everything together with galvenized plates bolts,nuts and washers and screw the decking down,dont use nails for anything other then holding things in place while you bolt it up.

Thanks for the input guys. I think im gonna swing by the library and see what they have to offer for ideas in the way of decking books.

DevilDog: yeah if i make it an independent structure from the house, I'll definitely use 2x12 and 6x6. Also, what are these "nails" you speak of? I have never put much of anything together with anything but screws and lag bolts.

I would make it separate from the house or freestanding as its called. You can build it so it sits approx. an inch to an inch and 1/2 fom the house with out attaching it to the house. I'm a contractor here in NC for the past 6 years and have found this is the best way to add a deck on to an existing structure if possible. Sometimes height from the ground to the deck causes problems with the support structures. By doing it this way you prevent what is the number 1 problem with a deck attached to the house. Water always wants to get in, so by not attaching it there is no problem with water getting to the sill.If you like I can post a few pics of the deck on the back of my house. And always check building codes in your area because they are different from other areas.

Melissa said you had gone riding, and I didnt want to interrupt you. Plus with your kidney stone and all it isnt something you need to be doing anyway. I havent done any building yet, just in the planning stages at this point. No worries, I'll call you when the time comes.

Spent the day sanding the garage down so I can prime and paint it sometime this week. Still have one wall and the ceiling to go, and I look like Casper the friendly ghost with all the dust thats covering me. Shower time.

Back