Ping construction folks, part two

ibified

Registered
Okay, so my last thread on this was looking for ideas on how to build my extension of a gable 12 feet out in order to cover part of a deck.

COntinuing on this project, I'm to a point now where I need to figure out HOW im going to attach my 4x4 posts to the outer edge of this overhang. I intend to run a 4x6 in between the bottom boards of the overhang, which are 2x6, then have my 4x4 posts sitting underneath that, holding it up. I'm screwing the 4x6 in place in between the 2x6s with 8" lag screws that are rated at about 4000 lbs of shear each, 2 per side.

Now for my question - it concerns the 4x4s which will be supporting the weight. In order to make it look nice, I'd like to tie them into the railing so they aren't taking up any additional space on the deck, plus i think it would give it a more finished look. I'm wondering if it would be better to just put the 4x4s on the deck railing (screwed in place, of course) or to run the 4x4's through the railing and down into the joists on the deck, where I can bolt them in place with 1/2" carriage bolts.

For reference: this first pic is the extension. It isn't centered where it's supposed to be on the outer edge, because I had the 2x4 i was using for temoprary support anchored to the edge of the deck so that it wouldnt move around. I need to slide it over about 10" towards the right side of the picture. And I'd like to, ideally, line up the 4x4 posts over the existing deck railing posts.
SSPX0157.jpg

The next two pictures are the 4x4 posts with the deck railing top removed so you can see what I have there. This is the post I am debating on extending up through the top of the railing all the way up to the overhang.

SSPX0162.jpg

SSPX0163.jpg

This is how it's secured to the deck. Technically not on the joist, but the outer rim of the deck.

SSPX0164.jpg

If need be, I could always get longer 4x4s and put in cement posts for them, but I'd really like to make that a last resort type thing, as I'm not too keen on digging ANOTHER two 3' holes to fill with concrete, especially since the holes would be at least partially UNDER the deck area.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

SSPX0157.jpg

SSPX0162.jpg

SSPX0163.jpg

SSPX0164.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got a passable plan. A concrete footing is probably not necessary because you aren't supporting a deck. I am not sure what to say about the 12' span for the extension. You may end up with some sagging eventually.

Well, the span is gonna have more support than you see in the picture. I plan on running 2x6 rafters from the top center piece to the bottom side pieces every 16" on center. I'm not thinking this is going to be a HUGE amount of weight that gets supported, but I wouldnt want for the carriage bolts or the wood to give way and have the whole thing fall, either. I'm also supporting this with 4x4s placed back by the house as well as the 2 that will be on the end. It's going to cantelever about 1 ft past the last supports and out over the yard so that it's past the deck railing.

First off, 2x6's are a stretch for a 12' run, I would use 2x8 at least to prevent sag.

If you want to tie the support posts into the deck frame, that would work fine. As long as you will need to replace the 2x6 extensions, I would extend it a little further to have the support posts UNDER and inside of the cover, just a nicer look. Then you will be able to have an uninterupted line for your facia.
In addition, I would set the posts on piers and then bolt them to the deck frame, this will prevent the deck frame from sag in the future.
Yes, I am a builder, Licensed in Ca. If you need any more help, PM me and we can get it done right.................

Well, the span is gonna have more support than you see in the picture. I plan on running 2x6 rafters from the top center piece to the bottom side pieces every 16" on center. I'm not thinking this is going to be a HUGE amount of weight that gets supported, but I wouldnt want for the carriage bolts or the wood to give way and have the whole thing fall, either. I'm also supporting this with 4x4s placed back by the house as well as the 2 that will be on the end. It's going to cantelever about 1 ft past the last supports and out over the yard so that it's past the deck railing.

Your plan to add rafters will only add to the possibility of sag. Replace the extensions and make your rafters with 2x4's. That way you will be able to have a recess under the roof to finish it with 1x8 T&G for a real pro look........

Supports will be on the underside of the covered area. I plan to attach the 4x6 between the 2 2x6s that I have on the outside edges, then extending my 4x4 posts down from that to the deck.

If you gonna skirt it. They sell concrete feet for the 4x4s and then you can secure to floor joists to keep from sliding. If your not gonna skirt it I would attach to floor joist by staggering the bolts. Would give it a more uniform look but it will put all the weight on the floor joists. If not secured sturdily could lead to sag over time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back