Home-Made Soda

TruWrecks

Banned
I got a bit froggy today and made Strawberry/Vanilly Creme soda. I made a gallon batch that I bottled in two 1 liter bottles. I figured the cost out to be about 12 liters for $6, or $0.50 per liter. That's 1/4th of the cost at my local grocery store. I'm sure it will cost even less if I but the sugar in bulk. I'll be trying a few other flavors like pomegranate of cherry mixtures.

I found a recipe on the web with basic instructions. It took a whopping 6 minutes to make two liters any flavor I can find extract for.

Ingredients:

1/8th TSP champagne yeast
5 TBSP priming or granulated white sugar (This amount gets consumed for the yeast to produce CO2)
2 cups granulated sugar or Splenda. (Adjust for preferred sweetness.)
1 TBSP + 1 TSP desired flavor extract

Warm a few cups of water to about 100f (baby bottle warm). Above 110f will kill the yeast. Less than 98f and the yeast will not become active enough. Dissolve the yeast into it. Pour it into a container that can hold about 2 gallons so it can be shaken. Don't shake it yet. Add 1 TBSP + 1 TSP of your desired flavor extract. I used 1 TBSP of Rainbow Flavors Inc Strawberry Soda Extract, 1 TSP of Rainbow Flavors Inc Cream Soda Extract, and 1/2 TSP Vanilla extract. Fill the mixing bottle with enough warm water to make 1 gallon with the contents already in the bottle. Shake until all of the sugar is dissolved into the water. I poured my mix into two 2 liter bottles. Let them set at room temperature for 4-6 days for CO2 production, then refrigerate for two to three weeks for flavor quality. After that it should be kept refrigerated until consumed or it will start to go flat.

I won't know how this tastes for a few more weeks. I'm going to make another batch with Splenda also. Should be ready for Christmas!

I found several flavor extracts at Homebrew Heaven in Everett, WA. They have more, but I only picked up the flavor in the picture.

:beerchug:

12-11-09 004.jpg

12-11-09 003.jpg

I think waiting to taste it would make me crazy, i eat more cookie dough than cookies when i bake:laugh:

The yeast and 5 TBSP of sugar make the fizz after a few days at room temp. As the yeast eats the sugar it produces CO2. You need to let pressure off once in a while or the bottle will explode.

I guess you could add caffeine if you really wanted it. I might look into that on a later batch.

Ya know you can buy 2 liters sodas for like a buck on sale??? Right! My wife makes bread ocassionally, takes quite awhile and probably cost twice as much as buying from a bakery. I don't really get why she does but it taste good... you gotta let us know whether its good enough to do all the time.

Even if I got the soda on sale I still need to pay for the fuel to get it and haul it back. It still costs less this way.

Both bottles are building pressure. The bottles are getting harder to squeeze. That means CO2 is being produced and fizz will be a side product. I did notice some of the yeast and sugar settled to the bottom. I turned the bottles over and shook them to mix it back in. The extract company does say that this will happen, and not to drink the sediment. It won't hurt anyone, but it will taste yeasty.

Even if I got the soda on sale I still need to pay for the fuel to get it and haul it back. It still costs less this way.

Both bottles are building pressure. The bottles are getting harder to squeeze. That means CO2 is being produced and fizz will be a side product. I did notice some of the yeast and sugar settled to the bottom. I turned the bottles over and shook them to mix it back in. The extract company does say that this will happen, and not to drink the sediment. It won't hurt anyone, but it will taste yeasty.

I used to brew beer years ago and stuff would settle on the bottom too. If you pumped up the sugar level in the beer, thereby increasing the alchohol content, by the time you got to the bottom of the jug, you really didn't care! :whistle:

This sounds like a fun project for the grandkids!! I just gotta remember to "burp" the bottles. Thanks for posting.

theres a way to make it instantly with dry ice. u need a 5 gallon water keg to do it. the dry ice makes the bubbles and it puts the carbonation in the drink then...bout 15 mins and we had 5 gallons of rootbeer!:thumbsup:

theres a way to make it instantly with dry ice. u need a 5 gallon water keg to do it. the dry ice makes the bubbles and it puts the carbonation in the drink then...bout 15 mins and we had 5 gallons of rootbeer!:thumbsup:

See this is more like it...kinda like home made ice cream. I'd be pissed if I had to sit there and look at the soda I just made in the fridge for weeks before I could consume it. Especially if I got really thirsty and there was nothing else in the fridge!! :rofl:

I couldnt look at it for 5 days and wait...id end up with some shotgun targets!!

Back