Home made intergrated tail light

cipher5791

Registered
idea3.gif
I was up late the other night thinking about my rear turn signals. I was wondering how it would look if I took the turn signals and put them inside the brake light housing.
winkold.gif

I decided to put the idea into action. So here goes.
werd.gif

THE IDEA

SD532313.JPG

First thing I did was go to the local auto store and purchased my sockets and amber bulbs. These socket assemblys were the smallest things I could find. The assemblies were $4.00 a piece and the bulbs were $3.00.

SD532314.JPG

After removing the rear cowel and removing the light assembly, I took a 9\16 drill bit and drilled a hole from the rear in the corner of the brakelight housing.

SD532316.JPG

I removed the brake bulbs to prevent damage. Go figure. Once done I held it up to the mounting bracket and realized that my socket assemblies were too long and I needed a hole for my wires to fit through.

SD532315.JPG

I used my 9\16 drill bit to drill holes in the mounting bracket. I had to put the assemblies in each hole and mount the housing up to the bracket and eyeball my holes. I drilled them perfectly>
laugh.gif

SD532319.JPG

I took the socket assemblies and used some rubber glue to hold them into place. I had to trim some of the rubber off the socket to make a perfect fit. once they dried, I mounted the assembly to the bracket and replaced the brake bulbs and also installed the bulbs for my signals. I did the rewiring of the light while the glue dried.

SD532318.JPG

I put everything back together and connected the lights. Looks kind of cool but the bulbs I purchased were a little dim. They are much brighter when the hazard lights are flashing. I am waitng to see how bright the will be at night. I am gonna have to find me some amber colored LED's to fit these assemblies.

Like I said, Just an Idea.
argue.gif

SD532322.JPG

I ended up getting some LED bulbs off ebay> believe it or not I paid $4.95 shipping free. They are brighter than the regular bulbs I used first.

SD531984.JPG

SD531986.JPG

Back