Hit N' Run finally resolved

eynlai

Registered
Just to re-cap. For those of you that read, I was hit when a 1996, White, Toyota Camery with gold letter trimmings, lic # 3LCL663 lane changed into me and hit me just a little passed noon on 7/7/05. He was busy trying to merge into the right lane (that I was in) to catch the 110 fwy interchange from the 101 fwy in downtown L.A. And luckily, I didn't go down. He didn't pull over after I picked for him to twice and I caught his license plate as he took off.

I filed with that CHP, my insurance and the DMV of the incident. We finally tracked down him and his insurance, which happens to be State Farm.

They took some pictures, and their adjuster called to ask me what happened. Here's the dialogue as I remember:

1st phone interview:
State Farm Adjuster (SFA): So tell me what happened.

Me: Short and simple... Your guy hit n' ran on me.

SFA: Funny, he said the same thing about you.

Me: Really? When did he file a report with you?

SFA: Well, he actually didn't. It was your insurance company that notified us. I didn't know about it up until then.

Me: Really? Then, I don't suppose your guy filed a report with the CHP. And I'm guessing he didn't file a SR-1 with the DMV of the incident.

SFA: (pause) No. So tell me the details.

I explain to her the details, and in the middle:

SFA: So did you get his license plate from the front or back?

Me: (Pause, then in a scuffing tone) Back.

SFA: Okay, we like to have your bike photograhed. Unfortunately, we don't do estimates on bikes, so you'll have to take it to a bike shop to get a estimate.

Me: Sure. When's a good time for the pictures? I can even ride the bike down for you to photo it. The damages are really just cosmetic.

SFA: No need, we can send someone out to take pictures.

Me: Fine.

I set up a date and the photographer comes down to my place to take pictures.

2nd phone interview after the pictures:

SFA: We got your pictures, and we got the pictures from our insured's vehicle. By the way, we're there any witnesses?

Me: Yes, one of those gardener's truck was behind me, and thank god he backed off. But he didn't stop because I didn't go down.

SFA: Well, this is not a easy case. It's a question of liability. Our insured said that it was you that hit him and ran, and you're saying the same about him. Without a witness, the damages can't determine which is more accurate. And in cases like these, we usually have to side with our insured.

Me: I understand. I can image that it's a hard case to decipher. Basically my word against his. But I ask that you look at ALL of the facts and evidence.

SFA: That's what we do here all day long.

Me: Yes, and it must not be easy. But when I say ALL, I mean beyond the damages to his car and my bike.

SFA: (pause) Such as?

Me: Well, who hit who maybe harder to determine. But it maybe easier to determine who actually ran. Did your insured ever get my license plate?

SFA: No.

Me: Okay, think about this for a minute. I filed all of the paperwork, made all of the necessary reports almost immediately after the incident. Your insured didn't even mention it until you approached him AFTER my insurance company and the CHP found him and you guys. Your insured said that I hit and ran on him, but he didn't get my license plate. Granted my plates are smaller, but he can still file a report and just describe me and my bike. But he didn't. And for me to get his license plates means he must have been ahead of me to take off AFTER he hit me. Do you think I ride around memorizing license plates for the hell of it? So how do you think I got his plates?

SFA: I asked him that and he said he didn't know, and that perhaps you got it from the front of his car.

Me: Really? Then how can I have known that the letter trimming on the rear of his car is gold? And another thing, I do apologize for the other day if I sounded rude when you asked me how did I get his license plate, from the front or back. I remembered that you probably don't ride a motorcycle. So you don't realize how small the bike side mirrors are. So think about this for another minute: For me to get his license plate from the front of his car, I would have to look at my small side view mirror, AFTER I've been hit, struggling to keep balance, worried about what's in front of me, scared as hell for my life, AND read his license plate from the front of his car BACKWARDS from my small sideview mirror. So what do you think is the possibility of that?

SFA: (chuckles a laugh) Not very likely.

Me: Exactly, so it's more than likely I got his plates from his back. And remember I mentioned that the damages are mostly cosmetic? Those kinds of marks I can get eventually from everyday riding. But I'm taking this personally. Do you know why?

SFA: Why?

Me: in a car, when there's a incident, more than likely it will be a fender bender, but the driver/passengers are likely okay. On a bike, for us, incidents are likely to involve life and limb. I'm not that upset that your guy hit me, that's a accident, he probably didn't see me. But he took off, and that's intentional. That's why I'm taking it personally. If you were to tell me that as part of a settlement, you'll pay me $200 AND cancel his policy AND report him to the insurance beauru to 8 Ball him so he can never get insurance again, I would take it.

SFA: (laugh) We can't report him.

Me: So what I'm most worried about is what kind of message you guys will send him if you deny my claim. That it's okay to hit and run? Especially on a biker?? Now it's a small claim because I didn't go down. But what about the next one if you send him that message? You could be paying his policy limit, plus have a dead biker on your hands. Believe me, you guys raising his premium, (by what $50 for 6 months over this??) is a slap on the wrist. I rather see him prosecuted and not get a dime for the damages.

SFA: Okay, I'll talk with my team manager and see what we decide.

Me: Thanks.

After about 2 weeks of follow-ups. I finally get a voicemail from her (because I was working) that they decide to pay for the damages, but I have to get my own written estimate and submit it to them.

Case almost close.

Wow!

Well, first off, I'm glad you're OK!

Fuggin' cagers! I agree...it's bad enough that they're not paying attention...but to run like that?? Chicken sh!t!

I'm glad to hear that you're (seemingly) getting this taken care of. Good luck and be safe out there!

I'm glad that they are working with you. It just sucks that they won't do anything more to him. Can you take the case back to the cops now the his ins. co. has taken the blame? Go after him for the hit and run part.
mad.gif

lucky you were able to get his plate. insurance companies always try to get out of paying. My wife is still trying to settle from when she got rearended a few months ago.

Glad you got some movement. Hopefully it will be over soon.

I think its ashame that when you took your bike in to get an estimate that they told you your frame got bent and your bike was totaled:D . Glad you're okay , I was rearended and was treated like sh#$ by the persons agent. It took a lawyer to get me a rental car (my bike was totaled) . Funny how that worked . I hate insurance agents ,they're only nice if they're yours!

Why wont the police do anything, it was a hit and run? Are they not taking it too seriously because there were no injuries?

Glad to hear it's working out for ya
cool.gif

Make sure whoever does the pics and estimate looks the bike over REALLY well. The insurance company isn't going to do anything to the driver, so you might as well make sure the Busa is back to perfect condition.

Good Luck
beerchug.gif

Why wont the police do anything, it was a hit and run?  Are they not taking it too seriously because there were no injuries?
I was going to ask the same question. Over here, a hit and run will get you 9 points on you licence. If you get 12 its an instant ban for about 6 months or so.

Then the points sit on your licence for 3 years, if you get stopped for speeding you can get 3 points, reckless driving 3-9 points etc.

Did you call chp from the accident scene? It would have been cut and dry....you're there and he's not.

I'm surprrised someone actually HAD insurance that hit you. In Fl about half the people on the road don't. I saw a guy in a truck get rear-ended hard last week. The guy who hit him got out and the guy who got hit took off!!!

<!--EDIT|diesel
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128688591 -->

dude rock on. I was I was that lucky:( Glad you could "talk to her" i would have lost it when she told me that he said the same thing

VERY CLEVER ON YOUR PART! STATE FARM NATURALLY DID NOT WANT TO PAY UP AND YOU STUCK TO YOUR GUNS. NICE WORK AND IT'S GOOD TO HEAR YOU MADE IT OUT UNSCATHED.

Right on Eynlai!!! You've handled everything perfectly. If not for your vigilance, you prolly wouldnt be getting anything and the dumb c@#ksucker would have gotten away with it. You represent us riders with the best intentions and we all stand behind you. BTW-thanks for the tips on my case. I'll let you know how everything is going.

Why wont the police do anything, it was a hit and run?  Are they not taking it too seriously because there were no injuries?
I spoke several times with the Hit N' Run CHP officer Spartilif, assigned for downtown L.A. (I learned that he's the only one assigned, you know where this is leading).

He said that he can send letters and make phone calls, but since there are no injuries, more than likely it's a Misdemeanor Hit and Run. The City D.A. would not pursue the case if he (CHP) submit it. If I went down and got injured, then that's a Felony and that would be considered.

Simply said, "too many cases, not enough CHP/D.A. resources to cover it".

On state farms side for a moment. I was rearended a few years ago while living in Virginia, on a thursday. I called my ins. cop handed the other driver a ticket. Took my car down on friday to get damage estimate, and picked up my check on monday. Literally everything was taken car of to my satisfaction, 2 working days after the accident. ***But, mine was alot more "cut -n- dry".

Back