pashnit bike picture gave me an idea...

buss

Banned
pashnit bike picture gave me an idea, see the back of his license plate:

6813641141_355f6fc762_b.jpg

Would it be illeagle to paint the back of a license plate.

I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, but I could almost certainly say yes. I'm sure that anything you did that could could be interpreted as obstructing or obscuring plain view of the plate would be a legal issue.

As long as you in no way alter or obscure the # side I don't know why it would be. The states are usually picky about tags so you would be money ahead to call and check on it.

Thats a great idea...paint the rear of the plate. Why didnt Lamb think of that? It will be done! If some officer of the law wants to give a ticket for that then...oh heck, Lamb doesnt know what, but he'd say something profound.

I am just saying, i think the back side of the plate would look better painted than just that bare ugly metal.

what exactly would painting the back of ur license plate accomplish???? its not see thru.....:whistle: the plate belongs to DMV not you so technically you cant do anything to the plate other then put screws thru it but I still dont understand what painting the rear of ur plate is gonna do.

most states have statutes pertaining to altering ur license plate tho but who would ever notice that?

What good does painting the screws on the bodywork do? nothing but aesthetics my good man.

what exactly would painting the back of ur license plate accomplish???? its not see thru.....:whistle: the plate belongs to DMV not you so technically you cant do anything to the plate other then put screws thru it but I still dont understand what painting the rear of ur plate is gonna do.

most states have statutes pertaining to altering ur license plate tho but who would ever notice that?

What good does painting the screws on the bodywork do? nothing but aesthetics my good man.
thats visible to the naked eye. who would ever see the rear of license plate from the rear? unless ur assuming someone is gonna get underneath ur bike to look at the rear of ur plate. not sure why anyone would ever want to do that tho.

I see no issue whatever with your plan, even rhino lining it but then I am mostly a law abiding person so I am able to avoid those sticky situations....well....mostly that is...except when I am not. Plus I am old and ugly.

I am mostly a law abiding person so I am able to avoid those sticky situations....well....mostly that is...except when I am not. Plus I am old and ugly.

LOL You'll fit right in around here... :beerchug:

Yea, the state owns it....Yea, the DMV owns it.... but they do not care if you paint the back of the plate !!!!! Just like the military.. The Gov. owns your azz and getting tatts after your enlistment is "technically", destruction of Govt. property. But again.....they don't care as long as you don't come off of a four day pass looking like Mike Tyson...They dont care...

The same thing applies here.. Its the back of the plate. Normal application, the back is up against something anyway. Just as long as he doesnt start altering the front with colors or stickers and such. He will be fine !!

Go for it...I see what you mean, you would be able to see it even more if the bike was on its side stand. Especially standing off to the right front of the bike you can see the back of the plate. Pashnit's would look good blue to match the bike or black

:thumbsup:from me !!

Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-4-110

(b) Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches (12'') from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; provided, if a motorcycle is equipped with vertically mounted license plate brackets, its license plate shall be mounted vertically with the top of such license plate fastened along the right vertical edge. No tinted materials may be placed over a license plate even if the information upon the license plate is not concealed.

I would interpret this as a prohibition of foreign materials that hinder visibility of the information on the plate, but you never know how someone may want to spin it. Of course, this is only the Tennessee Code. I have no idea what your local laws would be.

Just take the plate off.... its ugly anyways. You going to let the government push you around like that :stirpot:

I wouldn't think it would be illegal, unless you can find some obscure ordinance against modifying a license plate. Shoot, if people can put heart stickers on 'em or put the decals on 'em at odd angles, why not? LOL

Perhaps find some black 3M material that you could stick on there for starters. If you get pulled for modifying the plate, just peel it off and you're no longer in violation...

Just a thought :)

Back