Hit bumps and bike shuts off? What to check?

So I checked the kickstand switch. It moves freely, it is not loose and plunger seems free of rust or dirt.
How do I tell if this is what's cutting it off while riding? Start bike up in first with clutch in and move kickstand down a bit and see if it cuts off? I'm assuming that maybe springs get weak and allow kickstand to come down when I hit a bump thereby making bike cut off and on? Is that what happens or is there more to it on this one aspect?

Dude you never read post, rollin has already given you a method for testing it or rather eliminating it as the problem.

My battery bolt on the negative battery cable was cross threaded from the dealer. When I hit a few bumps it would break contact and shut the bike down. I would have to wait a few minutes for the cable to cool and regain contact.

One difference was my dash would reboot completely but I could not start the bike.

Well I fooled with it for about an hour this morning. Lifted tank and started it. Giggled as many wires as I could and nothing made it stumble. So I looked at kickstand switch. It goes in an out fine. In first clutch in push kickstand down bike shuts off as it's supposed to but the distance I had to move to get that to happen seemed like a very short distance. So I tapped the tab that depresses plunger out a bit so it would push it in farther. This made it go in about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch more. I rode for same hour or so. Never realized how hard it actually was to find a durn bump or pothole around here? But anyway approx fifty miles over overpasses and concrete lip transitions on I95 and it never stumbled so im hoping it was that simple. Only time will tell

That was probably it. Over time the spring that holds the kick stand up gets weaker. If it only took an 1/16th - 1/8th of an inch movement to trigger it, it's conceivable that a bump would bounce the kickstand enough to momentarily kill the engine.

Back