High speed shimmy

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
LOL, not the bike, just me.

One of my favorite leather jackets with all the protection has two vents, which can zip open to circulate air through the jacket.

For the heat today, I zipped them open.

At 150mph the Busa remains rock solid and stable, but my upper body goes into a weird shimmy. Ducking behind the screen helped, but wow, straighten my arms and it feels like I am at a disco.

Weird feeling.

I get a vibration that actually blurs my vision. I like a porous jacket for speed. My full leather is sucked so tight to me that it's actually hard to breathe. My leathers are great, no vibration or negative pressure zones in the jacket. You can see this jacket fluttering in this image:

Speeding01.JPG

I get a vibration from my helmet that does the same thing (blurs vision) even in a full tuck..

I put the bike on the stands and got into a tuck and the wife did a looksee, she said the top vent on my helmet was just over top of the windshield..

I figure it is catching the air and causing the vibration....it is only occurring over 240kms/hr (indicated).

At 150mph the Busa remains rock solid and stable, but my upper body goes into a weird shimmy. Ducking behind the screen helped, but wow, straighten my arms and it feels like I am at a disco.

Weird feeling.
If I straightened my arms at 150 it would feel like my head was going to come off.

So are you saying that if you didn't unzip the vents to be open - the problem has never occurred before?

If I straightened my arms at 150 it would feel like my head was going to come off.

So are you saying that if you didn't unzip the vents to be open - the problem has never occurred before?
Shift leather jacket, two zips left and right on the chest for vents. They are kind of hidden under a horizontal seam. Fastest that jacket has seen was around 170 with the zips closed, no issues.

LOL, about losing your head at 150, it depends on how long your arms are and how far you straighten them.

Did 380 miles yesterday, unfortunately mostly interstate. Besides keeping eyes open for anything that lights up blue, I normally get to a position where the wind supports the upper body and takes the load off my wrists. Then there is the odd burst where everything disappears in the rear view mirrors.

I'm a pretty tall skinny guy (6'5 175ish) so I have to buy xl jackets and the wind actually gets around my collar and shakes my whole body and I have to full tuck to get rid of it. I have 4 jackets and they all do it.
Hi. Looks like it is time for custom fit leathers. Heroic Leathers is making me a set. Call Todd at 917-843-3671.

I get a vibration from my helmet that does the same thing (blurs vision) even in a full tuck..

I put the bike on the stands and got into a tuck and the wife did a looksee, she said the top vent on my helmet was just over top of the windshield..

I figure it is catching the air and causing the vibration....it is only occurring over 240kms/hr (indicated).
Time to go to 250 May decrease and tuck in tightly

Yeah, I’ve still got the original windscreen and even in full tuck it feels like something is ripping my helmet off straight back! But the Busa is absolutely stable. :)
My bike is perfectly stable as well....I have a Puig shield I put back on to see if that might take a bit of the turbulence away and it did a little..

My old HJC CL-17 didn't have a turbulence problem on the Hayabusa now that I think about it...

Not sure why
Yeah, I’ve still got the original windscreen and even in full tuck it feels like something is ripping my helmet off straight back! But the Busa is absolutely stable. :)
Which brand is your helmet?

Still riding an old Shoei RF1000 and no issues every thing stock OEM on the bike. I don’t even have to do a full tuck. I find a spot where the stock screen directs the air flow over my helmet, going lower than that gets uncomfortable and real noisy.

Not sure why

Which brand is your helmet?

Still riding an old Shoei RF1000 and no issues every thing stock OEM on the bike. I don’t even have to do a full tuck. I find a spot where the stock screen directs the air flow over my helmet, going lower than that gets uncomfortable and real noisy.

Scorpion usually but also have a newish Shoei and an HJC. It’s probably better w/o the tank bag stopping me from a full tuck.

Back