Hi speed buffeting

Saxoplay

Donating Member
Registered
Recently, I'd suddenly been experiencing buffeting at around 90 or so that bounced my head around bad enough to have me seeing double! Before, things were pretty smooth all the way up to triple digits. So, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Maybe because it has gotten hot here in Vegas, the air is different...etc. Turns out it was my new jacket! As I said, it's pretty dang hot here in Vegas now and I was dying in my leather jacket. So, I bought a new perforated one. I guess the material being flimsier had a tendency to flap back and forth in the wind, causing my buffeting. Any suggestions? No way can I wear my old leather jacket in 100+ heat!

That is a difficult problem to solve. If your new jacket fits you a little looser try to somehow make it tighter, either by wearing something else underneath (will defeat the purpose of getting a cooler jacket).
I have the same problem here, buffetting with my perforated jacket at about the same speed, the other day I rode with my leather jacket and no buffeting at all. The only problem here is that I now barely fit inside my leather jacket
biggrin.gif

The only other solution would be to get some kind of leatherette jacket which is leather but much lighter.

my $0.02
peace
jim

Too hot for a perforated jacket!
cussing.gif

Sorry guys - but I dream of having such a problem!
wink.gif

Too hot for a perforated jacket!  
cussing.gif

Sorry guys - but I dream of having such a problem!    
wink.gif
For some even perforated leather jackets and pants are too much in 90+ degree weather. Me  
muscle.gif
I'am OK up to about 95 F or 100 F (depending on the humidity
drooling3.gif
) in my perforated leathers. After that I would rather be in my air conditioned car . No matter if I do have a Textile Jacket and Pants, it's still tooooooo Hottttt
firedevil.gif
to enjoy the ride. Plus I just don't feel safe in the textiles  
sad.gif

my leather has zip open slits in the front and the back. it works for me but we don't get above 90 degrees all the time.

Well, I simply don't know what I'm going to do. I have to have some type of protection but I can't hang with full leathers in 100+ heat!

I have the same prob here in AZ... tried different perforated jackets and had the same issue with all, let me know if you figure it out....

Hey guys,

I just bought a new MotoGP perforated jacket and have not had a problem at all. It has seen 150 plus and smooth as silk. I live in North Alabama and it is not as hot as your talking about so that could be the difference. It hit almost 90 here yesterday but was humid as he!!.

<!--EDIT|BusaBret
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148207479 -->

a friend sent me that and the email was labeled heart excersises. My heart was not what got the workout. LOL!

I like the detour this thread has taken....I'm starting to forget about the jacket myself!

90+?

Try 105+ for the next 3 and a half months.

How big are you? I have a few jackets that I wear in this vegas heat.

I have the Firstgear texmesh in blue and one in black. I have decided to not buy black again even though it is a mesh.

I just got an icon red mesh which fits a little snug. But I think both of those jackets are a good compromise in this heat.

I actually feel cooler putting on the jacket in the heat...than if I were letting the sun hit my arms.

<!--EDIT|HayaVegas
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148236286 -->

90+?

Try 105+ for the next 3 and a half months.

How big are you?  I have a few jackets that I wear in this vegas heat.

I have the Firstgear texmesh in blue and one in black.  I have decided to not buy black again even though it is a mesh.

I just got an icon red mesh which fits a little snug.  But I think both of those jackets are a good compromise in this heat.

I actually feel cooler putting on the jacket in the heat...than if I were letting the sun hit my arms.
I wear a 2x/3x depending on the brand. I have a joe rocket mesh right now. You wouldn't happen to be going riding today would you?

When I lived in Vegas, I did my riding early morning and had the bike back in the garage by 10:00. Just too damn hot to ride after early morning...

Recently, I'd suddenly been experiencing buffeting at around 90 or so that bounced my head around bad enough to have me seeing double! Before, things were pretty smooth all the way up to triple digits. So, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Maybe because it has gotten hot here in Vegas, the air is different...etc. Turns out it was my new jacket! As I said, it's pretty dang hot here in Vegas now and I was dying in my leather jacket. So, I bought a new perforated one. I guess the material being flimsier had a tendency to flap back and forth in the wind, causing my buffeting. Any suggestions? No way can I wear my old leather jacket in 100+ heat!
I don't think there is any way it's your jacket, how could it interfere with AirFlow over your Helmet?

If you haven't changed Windscreens, bar-risers, your helmet, started using a tank bag, or your riding position then the chances are you are causing the buffeting.

Have you spooked yourself a bit a little while back? Done something that has you holding on extra tight? Try concentrating on relaxing the next time your accelerating past 100mph or so, if you're relaxed it can really help reduce vibes and buffeting.

It does seem strange though that you're experiancing any buffeting at 90 or so, the only real buffeting I've experianced has been well north of 100mph.

Recently, I'd suddenly been experiencing buffeting at around 90 or so that bounced my head around bad enough to have me seeing double!  Before, things were pretty smooth all the way up to triple digits.  So, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what the heck was going on.  Maybe because it has gotten hot here in Vegas, the air is different...etc.  Turns out it was my new jacket!  As I said, it's pretty dang hot here in Vegas now and I was dying in my leather jacket.  So, I bought a new perforated one.  I guess the material being flimsier had a tendency to flap back and forth in the wind, causing my buffeting.  Any suggestions?  No way can I wear my old leather jacket in 100+ heat!
I don't think there is any way it's your jacket, how could it interfere with AirFlow over your Helmet?  

If you haven't changed Windscreens, bar-risers, your helmet, started using a tank bag, or your riding position then the chances are you are causing the buffeting.

Have you spooked yourself a bit a little while back?  Done something that has you holding on extra tight? Try concentrating on relaxing the next time your accelerating past 100mph or so, if you're relaxed it can really help reduce vibes and buffeting.  

It does seem strange though that you're experiancing any buffeting at 90 or so, the only real buffeting I've experianced has been well north of 100mph.
It is definately the jacket. I went back out with my old jacket well north of 100mph and all was well!
smile.gif

rock.gif
Good luck then... Don't know what to tell ya, sounds like you have an Aerodynamic miracle in your hands.

rock.gif
 Good luck then...  Don't know what to tell ya, sounds like you have an Aerodynamic miracle in your hands.
Ya sound skeptical...I tell ya, it's the jacket!
smile.gif
Same rider(me), same bike(mine), same helmet(Hayabus grey/black by Shoei), same gloves(joe rocket ??), same boots(Alpinestar SMX-plus), no tank bank(though I've been up to triple digits with my tank bag with no problems), same conditions(hot as hell, light wind), new jacket - joe rocket textile/mesh (buffeting!), old jacket - AGVSPORT Hayabusa Leather (no buffeting!).
smile.gif

smile.gif

Back