HID Issue

mrnyc01

Registered
Hey guys...

Got a strange HID issue. I had HID's on my bike for at least 2 seasons. All was well no issues with cluster or anything. Had the delay on there too. All of a sudden the HID stopped working. I could not figure it out so I put the regualr buld back it. It works... no issue. Sooooo this past weekend since it was rainy.. I tried to reinstall.... does not work. I have another set...( originally bought a car HID kit so I have two ballast and 2 bulbs). I put the other ballst and bulb in... still no light. I tried to do it without the delay to see if it was shot. Did not come on. But still the regular factory bulb works. So it's dafe to say.. it's not the bike/fuses or anything like that cause the regualr bulb would not work either. Right?

Anything else I need to check?

My only option at this point is to buy another set of HID and probably another relay...

Your thoughts?:banghead:

Check your charging voltage.Mine would do that and it was brand new.Turned out my regulator was bad and it was charging at 18 volts.The ballasts shut off when there is to much voltage.Hook it up to a car and see.Thats what I did and it worked fine, thats how I knew the HIDs were fine and it was the bike that was the problem.

Check your charging voltage.Mine would do that and it was brand new.Turned out my regulator was bad and it was charging at 18 volts.The ballasts shut off when there is to much voltage.Hook it up to a car and see.Thats what I did and it worked fine, thats how I knew the HIDs were fine and it was the bike that was the problem.

Hmmmm... ok sound logical. I actually have HID on my SUV...of course it's a different size. Would that matter.... to change the ballast and the busa bulb?

Well put the TDR back in the circuit and see if the factory setup works. If it does, you more than likely have an issue with a ballast or bulb. These ballast fail from time to to time and the bulbs will too. Might be the TDR since I understood you swapped ballast and bulb to spare set. Good luck.

Well put the TDR back in the circuit and see if the factory setup works. If it does, you more than likely have an issue with a ballast or bulb. These ballast fail from time to to time and the bulbs will too. Might be the TDR since I understood you swapped ballast and bulb to spare set. Good luck.

Ok cool.. I will try this too! Thanks.. I will report back.

UPDATE:

Ok I put the HID's on my SUV and neither ballast or bulb worked. FYI this is the way I did it. I unplugged the current ballast on my car, plugged up the one from the busa and then plugged in the bulb. Turned on my lights and nothing. I continued this method ballast to bulb swapping out each.... nothing. What is odd is that one of those ballast (not sure which one) has never been used. ::shrug::

So... pulled out DMM and tested (per Busa Manual) what the volt reading was at 5000 rpm. Manual said it should be between 13.4v and 15.5v. Mine is fluctuating beteen 13.3 and 13.4 volts. But still... the ballast didn't work on the car... so my conclusion is it's the HID's.

Your thoughts?

Back