Here we go again

pward76

Donating Member
Registered
I put my busa up for sale on Cycle Trader and sure enough, I have a scammer after me. I got this today...

"My client has just contacted me to re-affirm his interest to purchase your '04 Suzuki in it's "as is' condition and has agreed to settle for your asking price of $8,550. He has asked me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashiers check of $13,000 which he expalined is a refund payment of a canceled order earlier made with a dealer,but was turned down due to a mixup in make and model.

The check payment has to be made out to you in this whole amount because of their prevailing company policy which only allows a refunds payment on one cashiers check.So you are required to deduct cost of your bike ($8,550) when payment gets to you and refund balance of $4,450 to the Agent contracted for pickup/shipping for him to offset shipping and tax charges.

After payment has reached you and balance sent to him,our agent will come for pick-up and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via courier service to my customer.

Please provide Name ,Address and Phone Number for your payment to be delivered to you via courier services.

Looking forward to your response.

Harry Benson
711 South 6th Street
P.O. Box 848,
Beatrice, NE 68310
Tel:- 402-403-0038"

I contacted Cycle Trader, who took the info for their detective and directed me to www.ic3.gov, which is the way to report this to the FBI. I filled out that report, then called my local police and just for fun, I called the Beatrice police since the address this clown gave was from there. I did make this scammer call me once - heavy African accent, call came from a room full of people on phones...

I just sent "Harry" an email letting him know that I have another buyer interested, but that if "Harry" can match their "offer" of 10,850, I will sell him the bike. Little does "Harry" know that he is about to get into a bidding war that will raise the bikes price to - oh - about 13,000 - then I won't need to worry about "refunding" any money...
biggrin.gif

This is a typical scam that has been going around in the used Audio market for awhile now..... Good for you in catching it.  
super.gif
 Give Harry Hell

<!--EDIT|Fugly
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139597024 -->

I put my busa up for sale on Cycle Trader and sure enough, I have a scammer after me.  I got this today...

"My client has just contacted me to re-affirm his interest to purchase your '04 Suzuki  in it's "as is' condition and has agreed to settle for your asking price of $8,550. He has asked me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashiers check of $13,000 which he expalined is a refund payment of a canceled order earlier made with a dealer,but was turned down due to a mixup in make and model.

The check payment has to be made out to you in this whole amount because of their prevailing company policy which only allows a refunds payment on one cashiers check.So you are required to deduct cost of your bike ($8,550) when payment gets to you and refund balance of $4,450 to the Agent contracted for pickup/shipping for him to offset shipping and tax charges.

After payment has reached you and balance sent to him,our agent will come for pick-up and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via courier service to my customer.

Please provide Name ,Address and Phone Number for your payment to be delivered to you via courier services.

Looking forward to your response.

Harry Benson
711 South 6th Street
P.O. Box 848,
Beatrice, NE 68310
Tel:- 402-403-0038"

I contacted Cycle Trader, who took the info for their detective and directed me to www.ic3.gov, which is the way to report this to the FBI.  I filled out that report, then called my local police and just for fun, I called the Beatrice police since the address this clown gave was from there.  I did make this scammer call me once - heavy African accent, call came from a room full of people on phones...

I just sent "Harry" an email letting him know that I have another buyer interested, but that if "Harry" can match their "offer" of 10,850, I will sell him the bike.  Little does "Harry" know that he is about to get into a bidding war that will raise the bikes price to  - oh - about 13,000 - then I won't need to worry about "refunding" any money...
biggrin.gif
Good catch. Give `em hell...!  
guns.gif

Well dang, Harry hasn't gotten back to me. I'm disappointed.... I miss him, the rotten little scammer....

So now these Nigerian SOB's actually have contacts in the states? This is the first one I've seen using a phone # and PO Box within the US. If someone had some spare time to stake out the post office, that ##### would be easy to spot.

And don't do the bidding war. Play along and have him send you the fake check. Its gets their hopes up and makes them waste time and money on postage.

So now these Nigerian SOB's actually have contacts in the states?  This is the first one I've seen using a phone # and PO Box within the US.  If someone had some spare time to stake out the post office, that ##### would be easy to spot.
When I contacted the Beatrice police, they were VERY interested in checking out the PO box. I doubt it's a real number though...

I was thinking he'd want the extra money sent there. The 402 # is a NE exchange too. Anything on your caller ID when he called you?

I was thinking he'd want the extra money sent there.  The 402 # is a NE exchange too.  Anything on your caller ID when he called you?
Shows up as invalid number.... I know the 402 is the correct area code for the Omaha area, but when I call it, all I get is beeping.  Could be a satellite phone....

I did not really want to give these guys my home address.  Don't want to come home and find bike gone...

<!--EDIT|pward76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139893319 -->

I had the same EXACT scam tried on me with the auto trader on my motorhome. The 13,000 check will bounce , you will give him back 5.000 and lose your bike. Hang the bastids...

Same scam when seling the Durango thru the Auto Trader. Contaced with $5k overpayment. Forwarded everything to and filed a complaint with FBI. Never heard anything else. I'd like to do a citibank commercial re-enactment of the guy coming off the elevator tired of hearing NO for and answer!
guns.gif
in the South African call center
laugh.gif

Back