Help !!!!

Busapilot_paul

Registered
Hi guys and gals,
I have an issue with my 2011,it won’t turn over ...... it just makes a noise as if the starter is not engaging it’s like a wining noise from right side,it happened a week ago so I thought it could be battery so I’ve had it on trickle charger but gone out to it today and gone to start it and it’s still making the same noise.
I’m now stumped
Any help would be gratefully appreciated

voltage is different than amperage. I bet you have a bad battery. Whats the volts at? these big girls require alot to kick over.

As our German friend said, the battery must be in good condition and fully charged to know for certain it is not a battery issue causing this.
Even if you put jump leads on it from a known good battery to try cranking the starter again.
If the battery and connections at the terminals are fine, the next thing to look at is the starter and starter clutch.... is the starter clutch bolt loose? Right side engine cover has a large internal hex bung to remove to gain access to that bolt.

Thanks for your replies
Tomorrow I’m going to remove the plugs and see if it turns over to see if it’s a compression problem as I’ve been informed this could stop the starter from turning over.
As I’ve said (and probably poorly),it’s not actually turning over it’s just making a wining noise,the battery has been on a trickle charger for over a week and I only bought the batter a month or two ago.
I’m not a machanic by any means so any help is so gratefully appreciated

Thanks for your replies
Tomorrow I’m going to remove the plugs and see if it turns over to see if it’s a compression problem as I’ve been informed this could stop the starter from turning over.
As I’ve said (and probably poorly),it’s not actually turning over it’s just making a wining noise,the battery has been on a trickle charger for over a week and I only bought the batter a month or two ago.
I’m not a machanic by any means so any help is so gratefully appreciated
Be sure of you put jumper cables on it and they are running to a car that the cat is not running or started while the cables are hooked up. The alternator can spike and cause the stator to short out, this goes with jumping any small engines with stator like motorcycle, lawn mower, generators etc. I know our German friend touched on the subject of the loose clutch stud, the bike I had that would not turn over made a similar sound when turning over but because of the broken bolt trapped between the cover it would not allow the engine to turn. Did you hear any noises on your last ride? And it would be worth the investment of you don't already own one to purchase a multimeter so you can check the voltage on the battery, even being new if you happen to have a short somewhere like a bad stator or of by chance the battery has a bad cell it could drag the battery down low enough that just a trickle charger won't work but being able to read the voltage would help and if your gonna be working on your own bike even a little multimeter is a good tool to own even if it's just a cheap 15-20 dollar one nothing expensive. Good luck

Be sure of you put jumper cables on it and they are running to a car that the cat is not running or started while the cables are hooked up. The alternator can spike and cause the stator to short out, this goes with jumping any small engines with stator like motorcycle, lawn mower, generators etc. I know our German friend touched on the subject of the loose clutch stud, the bike I had that would not turn over made a similar sound when turning over but because of the broken bolt trapped between the cover it would not allow the engine to turn. Did you hear any noises on your last ride? And it would be worth the investment of you don't already own one to purchase a multimeter so you can check the voltage on the battery, even being new if you happen to have a short somewhere like a bad stator or of by chance the battery has a bad cell it could drag the battery down low enough that just a trickle charger won't work but being able to read the voltage would help and if your gonna be working on your own bike even a little multimeter is a good tool to own even if it's just a cheap 15-20 dollar one nothing expensive. Good luck
Excellent advice!

@Busapilot_paul

did your busa ever make a noise like this ?

if yes the "chance" ( ha ha ha) , better said the very big danger is that one screw got loose and touches now the clutch cover at its inside.

more or less all described here on my page.

if it was mine i never would try to start the motor again before i had controled the clutch itself.
put off right sidefairing
put off the clutch cover - busa on the side stand and 1st gear in
the cover has some 12 screws (M6 x 20 or 25) and nothing else is to be watched.
then you can pull the cover and watch
and make a foto of the situation of the clutch.
then you can mount the cover again - attention ! these M6-screws only get 10 Nm so tighten them softly
plus the fairing
okay so far?

Ok guys ..... a bit of an update
I’m not so sure the battery or starter is the issue,
The bike won’t turn over manually,I’ve removed the plugs so that there is no compression and put it in gear rotated the rear wheel and it’s rotating to a point and won’t go no further .............. could my issue be gearbox related ( just a guess !! )

@Busapilot_paul

did your busa ever make a noise like this ?

if yes the "chance" ( ha ha ha) , better said the very big danger is that one screw got loose and touches now the clutch cover at its inside.

more or less all described here on my page.

if it was mine i never would try to start the motor again before i had controled the clutch itself.
put off right sidefairing
put off the clutch cover - busa on the side stand and 1st gear in
the cover has some 12 screws (M6 x 20 or 25) and nothing else is to be watched.
then you can pull the cover and watch
and make a foto of the situation of the clutch.
then you can mount the cover again - attention ! these M6-screws only get 10 Nm so tighten them softly
plus the fairing
okay so far?
No it didn’t,it started a couple of times whilst on the paddock stand and then it wouldn’t start the next time I tried and making that not engaging noise

Back