help!! won't run right.

Midnight turbo

Registered
I just got the busa back together after a wheelie spill. Before I wrecked I was boosting 8-10lbs and the bike was flying. It is a 2002 stock busa with a mr turbo stage 1 kit on it, and a pclllr with mr turbo map. After I got the bike going again I had to remap because the battery was unhooked for so long, I also changed the plugs. But now when the turbo spools up at about 5500rpm it will boost 7-8lbs(resetted wastegate) will hall ass for about 1000rpm then starts to level off or fall back on the power, sometimes jerk alittle. Before I wrecked the FI light would come on when I was at full boost about to shift, now it dosen't come on at all. Sorry for the long post any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Justin.

Can you tell just a bit more of what it's doing...
evil.gif

Sounds like you have a kinked fuel line...Did you do the intial install yourself???
evil.gif

I bought the bike with the turbo already on it. The fuel lines are like they were before the wreck, no kinks. It feels like it is going to make power like it use to at about 5800rpm the boost gauge showes 7-8lbs but rpm steadly rises like a stock bike, does not fly to9500rpm like it use to just seems like a stocker, doesn't try to wheelie, ect.. Is there some safety switch in the fuel system when the bike flips or gets turned over? The plugs are a dry dark brown. My FI light does not come on, am I running out of fuel or what? Where is the fuel filter located on the stock pump? Any help? Thanks, Stunnah.

You should not have stock pump on that bike, I highly doubt it... I would suspect a boost leak, but your gauge is showing pressure... When you are checking the plugs, is that fresh plugs, or the old plugs... I would be VERY VERY careful if you don't have a good map or you could be preigniting and detonating... in fact, some of the symptoms you describe sound like that. Take it in and get it remapped pronto...

You should not have stock pump on that bike, I highly doubt it...  I would suspect a boost leak, but your gauge is showing pressure...  When you are checking the plugs, is that fresh plugs, or the old plugs...  I would be VERY VERY careful if you don't have a good map or you could be preigniting and detonating... in fact, some of the symptoms you describe sound like that.  Take it in and get it remapped pronto...
I would also suspect leaks in the plenum or near the turbo.  It also sounds like you are ot getting enough gas.  For your system you ae runing to much boost.  Are you running an A/F gauge??

Turn your boost down and try the bike at 6lbs if it is running well that is your problem.

Also check your boost gauge it may be off?? Do you get a surge on the boost past the 8lbs befoe it settles down??

Size injectors??

Fuel Pump??

Rising regulator??

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092252715 -->

Guys I'm pretty sure it's the stock fuel pump, everything in the fuel system is stock except for the fuel pressure reg. I don't have a A/F gauge so I really cannot see whats going on. I put new plugs in it the color remains the same. The thing thats got me pissed is I cannot fing the problem. The same setup was hauling ass for months right up until I wrecked. The only thing different now is a new tank which had been painted, a new map from mrturbo, everythingelse is the same as it was before. The needle on the boost gauge goes a little erattic past 5lbs as the r's get higher it stablizes, but the speed is still slow. Before I wrecked I was running 8-10lbs boost and the bike was awsome, now with wastegate set at 6lbs it still wont run right. What do you mean by rising regulator, NInja,? I like the way you guys think.

I'm not as turbo literate as NE and Doc...But my bike had a similar problem...It would go to 6k then start to spit and sputter would do a thing beyond that...Recheck your vacuum and fuel lines...Did you have to remove the system to fix the bik???these guys need info...
evil.gif

Guys I'm pretty sure it's the stock fuel pump, everything in the fuel system is stock except for the fuel pressure reg. I don't have a A/F gauge so I really cannot see whats going on. I put new plugs in it the color remains the same. The thing thats got me pissed is I cannot fing the problem. The same setup was hauling ass for months right up until I wrecked. The only thing different now is a new tank which had been painted, a new map from mrturbo, everythingelse is the same as it was before. The needle on the boost gauge goes a little erattic past 5lbs as the r's get higher it stablizes, but the speed is still slow. Before I wrecked I was running 8-10lbs boost and the bike was awsome, now with wastegate set at 6lbs it still wont run right. What do you mean by rising regulator, NInja,?  I like the way you guys think.
You say new tank. I wold start thee. New tank new pump in the tank or hook up in the lines???

I am not sure abot a Mr. Turbo sysem?? A rising rate egulator adds fuel pressue with more boost. You should be runing 80-100lbs on top with 10psi boost. You however should not be running more the 6-7 on your system with out all the oth things we mentioned.

Yeah didn't pay attention to the post...My stock fuel pump was gutted and just placed back in the tank...My bike is fueled by a secondary pump...
evil.gif

Thanks guys, mr turbo also said to check the vaccum lines and fuel pump. I will give the fuel system a complete check over this afternoon and will let yall know what I find out. You all need pats on the back, because, yall are a lot of help to people on this board. Thanks, Justin.

Im still lost, I checked all the vaccumm lines and fuel lines everything seems ok. The fuel pump is one mr turbo supplied with the kit, along with their rising regulator. Mr turbo said that the stock fuel rail pressure is 43lbs, with their regulator 1lb of boost=1lb more fuel pressure, 5lbs boost=48lbs fuel pressure, and so on. Everything seems to be working correctly, I lowered the boost to 4lbs and the bike seems to run better, didn't fall on its face like at 6lbs of boost. The FI is showing C32, C33, and C34 trouble codes. Anyone know what these are, and can they be causing the bike not to run right at higher boost levels?
rock.gif

It was on the site under tech. Thanks Atticdog for placing it there a while ago.

codes.jpg

Guys I think I found the problem, I took the fuel pump out of the tank and disassembled it. There was all kinds of trash completely covering the filter on the pump. I hope this is all that was wrong, limiting fuel flow causing poor performance under hard acceleration. There is a place for cleanning fuel injectors located in Washington called Whitch Hunter Performance. He will clean and flow your injectors for $12.00 each and $10.00 shipping, says he will shipping them back the day after he recieves them WOW!! He gave me some very helpful info on cleanning the injectors and testing them, the guy is great. Thought I would pass along the info for anyone needing this service because the man has awsome equipment. Thanks everyone for your help. Justin:O

I haven't looked at a set of Busa injectors, but if its like the usual, all you are really doing is replacing the intake screens when you "clean" them.....the whole sonic cleaning thing is nothing to write home about, if you have a good spray patern after replacing the screens, the cleaning won't do you anything.

replace the pump with a higher flow/higher pressure pump. They aren't all that expensive. Its worth the extra insurance. Just IMO.

I hope that your problem is fixed, I also have a Mr. Turbo and I had the same prob as you. After two weeks and pulling the motor to check for a broken valve spring, all it turned out to be ,was the plugs were gapped wrong. Stock WILL NOT WORK!
They must be set to 0.18-0.20 My bike ran great until under boost and 9200rpms.

sleepy
New Recruit

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:0.02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope that your problem is fixed, I also have a Mr. Turbo and I had the same prob as you. After two weeks and pulling the motor to check for a broken valve spring, all it turned out to be ,was the plugs were gapped wrong. Stock WILL NOT WORK!
They must be set to 0.18-0.20 My bike ran great until under boost and 9200rpms. [/QUOTE]

The kit didnt warn you of the new gap setting when doing the install or was this just an overlook on your behalf ?

The trash on the filter was the problem, ran great after cleaning, only problem is now it is clogged again. Anyone got a good tip for cleaning out a fuel tank? Also anyone got a source for a good external fuel pump and filter that can deliver 70-90lbs of fuel pressure?
rock.gif

I haven't looked at a set of Busa injectors, but if its like the usual, all you are really doing is replacing the intake screens when you "clean" them.....the whole sonic cleaning thing is nothing to write home about, if you have a good spray patern after replacing the screens, the cleaning won't do you anything.

replace the pump with a higher flow/higher pressure pump.  They aren't all that expensive.  Its worth the extra insurance.  Just IMO.
YES repalce the pump the in tank pump is not good for the turbo. You can not ge enough out of it.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092593095 -->

The trash on the filter was the problem, ran great after cleaning, only problem is now it is clogged again. Anyone got a good tip for cleaning out a fuel tank? Also anyone got a source for a good external fuel pump and filter that can deliver 70-90lbs of fuel pressure?
rock.gif
Vortec T-rex is one of the best. You can get a Bosch or Aeromotive also.

Back