Question about wastegate location

insayne-kustomz

Registered
Last night I was at a little get-together in a local parking lot and came across this one bike. It was actually an older CBR 1100 Blackbird turbo. It was basically a street figher/combat looking bike without any recognizable fairing.

I'm currently building my own Hayabusa turbo and purchased a Tial 44mm wastegate long before ever recieving my turbo header because it was included with other parts I purchased and traded at the time for a great price. The problem is that now that I have my RCC turbo header, I don't have an area where I can pull out a 44mm pipe just before the turbo flange to send into the wastegate. The Blackbird I saw yesterday had the pipe which usually mounts into the header to the wastegate actually connected after the turbo exit in the down-pipe. Doesn't think completely render the wastegate useless??? If this is some sort of system that works, maybe it would work for me! I didn't have a camera so I couldn't take photos. Thanks

you sure it wasnt a recirculating wastegate?

wrxsti-external-wastegate-uppipe.jpg

Yes I'm sure. The turbo did not use an internal wastegate. I saw it but I should have asked him about it. I'll try and find some similar photos on the net.

Couldn't find a good photo but it's something like this. He had the usual 5 bolt turbo downpipe flange and about three inches down his first 90 degree bend was the wastegate pipe that went into the wastegate and the wastegate dump tube went back into his exhaust. I can almost swear this is what I saw as I'm 99.9% certain of this. If anyone has any suggestion on how to fit a 44mm wastegate onto a little header... lol

probably the wastegate inlet is flowing from a port designed for an internal gated setup. ppl just remove the flapper internal gate and run the ext wastegate inlet into that

What do you mean by "on the turbo" ? Where exactly?

My brand new 44mm wastegate is for sale in the classified ads. If I can't find a good, reliable and fonctionnal location, I'll buy the smaller 38mm which will be mounted staight to the four manifold runners just before the flange that mounts to the turbo.

Just sucks because that's the only thing keeping me from completing my kit.

Like on the turbo I mean where the internal gate would be if it had one. And if I didn't have one, then you can do it like nlr does, and weld it right to the turbo just below the flange.

Something like this would have been nice but I'm not sure I have a minimum of 44mm spacing to weld the wastegate pipe onto the turbo exhaust housing.

Wastegate.jpg

And finally, this is the guys famous set-up I was trying to describe. His turbo did not have an internal wastegate so for sure it wasn't a recirculating wastegate set-up. Wouldn't this set-up completely cancel out what a wastegate was built for?

Weird Turbo.jpg

Damn, won't work :-( In fact, I wouldn't even have enough space to run the smaller 38mm wastegat. I guess this RCC header was built to run a turbo with an internal wastegate thus the AMAZING price I got on it. I wish the runners were a little beefier... Any recommendations? :please:

The Rcc headers are designed to be used with external wastegates. They place the wastegate off the turbo.

This is using the same header as you...
2801bb1a.jpg

Your on of the few that wants to place the wastegate off the turbo. Space wise off the turbo is the best option if your wastegate port is open under rather that 5 bolt flang you have pictured.

That is exactly my header. I also have a 5 bolt flange which blocks off the hole where the internal wastegate would be located. In the 5 bolts flange, I really don't have enough space to machine out a hole 38 or 44mm to send to the wastegate. Maybe I should consider changing the turbo exhaust housing.

That is exactly my header. I also have a 5 bolt flange which blocks off the hole where the internal wastegate would be located. In the 5 bolts flange, I really don't have enough space to machine out a hole 38 or 44mm to send to the wastegate. Maybe I should consider changing the turbo exhaust housing.

Put a hole in the 5 bolt flange then into the turbine housing and open up the holes to 1.5"

Richard

If I drilled this hole into my set-up right now, I'd either cut into the impeller opening or the other side which would cut right out of the turbo. I'm using a T3 T04B turbo with a 5 bolt flange. I asked my buddy who fabricated this turbo just for me (Blaast Performance) if we can go with an exhaust housing that will allow me to drill out a hole big enough for the 38mm wastegate straight in the 5 bolt flange or neck. Man, I hope he says yes.

Ideally, I'd like to pull out the pipe to my wastegate from this point but there is not enough space. It's as if my turbo is waaay to small for even a 38mm wastegate. I don't know much about mix matching turbos and the different parts and housings that are available but I don't think this one will work. A 38mm hole at the point will either go into the impeller or it'll actually go outside the flange. There is just not enough steel to drill this hole.

DSCF0196.jpg

Back